Thread: Sports interest

vCash

Sports interest

Does anyone else find their interest in sports dwindling as they get older?

I am 31 and use to be all about sports, playing and watching as much as I could. However since probably around 4 years ago, if State isn't playing I don't really care to watch any sports.

I can't remember the last time I watched the Super Bowl and that's coming from someone who use to watch the NFL combine regularly.

But I'm still excited to see some passing records get broken this fall!!!

vCash
    Wife and kids? Job? If so, that's prob part of it. Your tree gets trimmed as you get more responsibilities and have less time.

Plus other things like family and job become more important, so more of your energy is directed there

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post

I am 31 and use to be all about sports, playing and watching as much as I could. However since probably around 4 years ago, if State isn't playing I don't really care to watch any sports.

I can't remember the last time I watched the Super Bowl and that's coming from someone who use to watch the NFL combine regularly.

You're not the only one. I used to watch college football religiously, but now I've gotten to where I may watch one full game a weekend during the season, if that. I watched about 10 minutes of the Super Bowl last night and got bored with it. Like the above post, it's probably because of having a family now, work, fixing things around the house during the weekend, etc.

vCash
    I find my passion for hunting, fishing, and golf waning but my attention and interest in sports is upticking .... and stupid stuff like skydiving and going to nudist camps as well - I'm 59
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post

In the complete opposite..... I used to go out all the damn time. Now I'd rather stay at home and chill. I used to go to super bowl parties until my late 30s..... now I'd rather sit at home (and not share my good bourbon).

vCash
    Same age as me. I didn't watch much college football this past season, but I usually don't when State isn't doing well. Any other sports, I only watch State, but even then I haven't been watching as much. Maybe that has something to do with no longer having TV. I have found I don't miss it too much. Interest will pick up more as we get closer to post season if we are in it, but for the most part, yeah, overall I would say my interest is dwindling some.
    All Aboard and Soft Landings!

vCash
    A lot is prob age related.

I would be interested in a "posters' age thread" one day, bc I have a preconceived notion of how old y'all are when I see your user name posting something. Like I picture jack lambert as a 56 year old hard ass, ha.

I'm 36 by the way.

vCash
    Yep. My watching/interests priorities are: 1. MSU football/baseball 2. General college football 3. MSU mens/women basketball 4. NFL. There is a large gap between 1 and 2 and 2 and 3. 3 and 4 rank pretty close together.

I havent watched an NBA game since Bird and Magic retired and I think Ive watched 1 MLB game since their last strike in the 90's.

ETA: 53 per request of post above mine.

vCash
    MSU all sports. Pro - Cowboys, Saints Football; Braves, Brewers and Shuckers Baseball; Basketball could care less, NASCAR used to watch it religiously till they ruined it. As I got older started following Cycling, Tour De France, and Tennis. As for watching the game I would rather listen to it on the radio with the home team announcers, Neal, Matt and RW, Saints radio on WWL even though I have to tough out Duece, RIP HOKIE, and When I can Braves Radio so I don't have to listen to Chip.
    I am 59.
    Last edited by parabrave; 02-03-2020 at 12:54 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    I'm 57 and my passion for State has not waned one bit but I used to also be a big fan of NFL & MLB, now I don't give a shit about pro sports.

vCash
    I saw my Dad, my Uncle and others go thru this (I'm in that stage now). I have a business, 3 kids, I coach, basically I'm swamped. I don't watch sports anywhere near as much as I use to. BUT I've seen as my Dad and Uncle got older and things settled down and got slower in life, they came back and are all into it again. I honestly think it just depends on where you are in life.

vCash
    I think sports interest is cyclical. In my teens and twenties I was totally invested but interest started to wane by my thirties. Mid forties I started to start watching sports again. Now almost all my Twitter follows are sports related and I get almost all my news and weather from sports message boards. I'm 54.

vCash
    Yep part of the cycle of life. I used to watch everything sports but now only MSU sports and spot watching a few other events. I do watch about anything MSU. I used to watch NFL and NBA (Bird, Magic, Jordan years) but not anything anymore. Watch some NFL seeing how MSU guys do but that is it. I don't have time to play golf anymore and too injury prone to play other sports - basketball, softball, etc.

I do work the outdoors though - hunting, hiking, camping, etc. I turn 52 this year but I have the mentality of a WWII mindset. I am old school in nearly every way. This blog site is pushing my PC ability and desire.

vCash
    Yep, I think as we age, we figure out what is really important in life. While sports is fun and I am a rabid MSU fan, being an alumnus, I watch very little sports other than MSU. I turn 62 this year! Where in the hell does time go? I was 19 the last time I looked, wow, a wife and 4 kids later, I am now a grandpa. How did that happen?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Extendedcab View Post
    Yep, I think as we age, we figure out what is really important in life. While sports is fun and I am a rabid MSU fan, being an alumnus, I watch very little sports other than MSU. I turn 62 this year! Where in the hell does time go? I was 19 the last time I looked, wow, a wife and 4 kids later, I am now a grandpa. How did that happen?
    You just became your Dad.

vCash
    LOL, I can't agree more!