Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Jason Washington Hired as LB Coach

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sscjr1 View Post
    McBath coaching CBs
    Washington coaching S
    Tony defensive assistant in the secondary
    I figured it would be McBath coaching safeties since that's what he played in the NFL and the fact that Washington has coached corners most of his career?

vCash
    OAN: He was the Big 12 recruiter of the year in 2018.

vCash
    Recruiting like an ace in Texas to UT is quite different than recruiting Texas to miss state

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Recruiting like an ace in Texas to UT is quite different than recruiting Texas to miss state
    No doubt, but having a recruiting ace from Texas is a big plus.

We won't be winning many recruiting battles vs Texas, A&M, Oklahoma, or even Baylor.

But maybe we can win some of the battles vs TCU, Arkansas, & Oklahoma State.

If MSU can get some of those WRs Oklahoma State & TCU have been getting, we're going to be really good. Those schools don't have access to interior players like we do.

Just think if we could land 2 Fred Ross' instead of just one? I don't have a ton of interest in Texas interior players but give me their skill guys all day long compared to what we've been getting
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 02-01-2020 at 10:49 AM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I've been waiting on the bucket of ice water...and you didn't disappoint**

Banned
    vCash
    Anybody know why he was let go?

vCash
    If he won Big 12 recruiter of the year I doubt it's because he sucks at it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    The DC Todd Orlando was fired & the new DC brought in his own guys
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    Different staff came in. Essentially the same reason we let Buckley go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    If he won Big 12 recruiter of the year I doubt it's because he sucks at it.
    Didn't say he sucked. What I am saying is recruiting to Texas is a hell of a lot easier than recruiting here. I like the hire, but we aren't about to start cleaning up in Texas.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Didn't say he sucked. What I am saying is recruiting to Texas is a hell of a lot easier than recruiting here. I like the hire, but we aren't about to start cleaning up in Texas.
    Texas on avg has 50+ 4 & 5* recruits. If he pulls 1-2 4* a year from Texas then he's well worth it.

vCash
    No one said we are going to "clean up" recruiting in Texas. But he is going to give us some access and connections there. If he can recruit well in Texas he will likely do fine in Mississippi. Texas has to compete with A&M and Oklahoma among others for top recruits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Texas on avg has 50+ 4 & 5* recruits. If he pulls 1-2 4* a year from Texas then he's well worth it.
    Thank you!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I agree. Well, assuming he's adequate coach.

vCash
    I agree. Well, assuming he's adequate coach.
    Do you really think Leach hired someone he didn't think could coach adequately?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Do you really think Leach hired someone he didn't think could coach adequately?
    No, but it happens. Wash st's defense was ranked #111 (that's one spot behind ark). Would you say leach put together a great defensive staff? I wouldn't. And I'm not saying that will happen here, but it could.

ETA... I love the leach hire. I'm as excited as I've been in a while about football.
    Last edited by msstate7; 02-01-2020 at 11:18 AM.

vCash
    No, but it happens. Wash st's defense was ranked #111 (that's one spot behind ark). Would you say leach put together a great defensive staff? I wouldn't. And I'm not saying that will happen here, but it could.

ETA... I love the leach hire. I'm as excited as I've been in a while about football.
    That was with a completely different DC than the one we have now. Who had a defensive unit that allowed 12 PPG last year. Tracy Claeys is not on our staff. The only defensive holdovers for Leach are McBath who has been with him for awhile now including when Alex Grinch was his DC and Phelps the DL coach who has good track record. Everyone else is new. Brock who did coach OLB's last year is primarily a ST coach for us and was a Broyles semi finalist if you want to include him.

vCash
    True BUT unlike in Mississippi where there maybe 10-15 4 star and above players in a class there are 50 or so 4 star and above players in Texas. Getting a few out of Texas especially at the corner, receiver, and QB positions can?t hurt. Remember, Fred Ross was from Texas and wasn?t half bad. Recruit the skill positions from Texas and Louisiana and keep recruiting linemen and defensive talent from Mississippi and Leach could stockpile enough talent to do his schemes justice. With these coaching hires and the support he?s going to get, there?s no doubt he wants to win big here.

vCash

I didn?t realize Arnett coached WSU last year...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I didn?t realize Arnett coached WSU last year...
    He'll reply back once he's done searching the internet for his typical useless stats he ignorantly believes proves his point