Page 84 of 136 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134 ... LastLast
Results 1,661 to 1,680 of 2710

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I think you can justify it. We run a 3-3-5 now. We need flexibility in the secondary and we are lacking a considerable amount of quality depth there. The potential for immediate playing time, especially at the safety position, is pretty high.

Given the way the SEC is moving offensively, you can never have enough quality defensive backs.
    I don't think you can bc it'll mean you taking only4 WRs and 5 OL and I'd argue that OL is a bigger concern moving forward than Safety.

It'll also mean you can't take John Lewis or another best available player.

vCash
    The attractive thing about Perkins is he can play three years for us.

That said, I'd still take Alexander too.

vCash
    Marvin Covington from Texas announced his Top 5. We are in it. Runs a 10.84 second 100 according to his profile.

Has TCU, Texas Tech, Baylor, and Houston as his finalists. His composite 24/7 ranking is a .868 but his 24/7 ranking is an 89.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I don't think you can bc it'll mean you taking only4 WRs and 5 OL and I'd argue that OL is a bigger concern moving forward than Safety.

It'll also mean you can't take John Lewis or another best available player.
    The numbers always work out. One way or the other.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    The numbers always work out. One way or the other.
    They do. And it's probably a moot point anyway bc the likelihood of us signing Calloway AND Walley both is low. You might get one. So then you can still sign Perkins and Alexander and still have room for a best available or a 6th OL

vCash
    They do. And it's probably a moot point anyway bc the likelihood of us signing Calloway AND Walley both is low. You might get one. So then you can still sign Perkins and Alexander and still have room for a best available or a 6th OL
    I'm sure we'll see where things stand after the December signing day and evaluate from that point on. I could see where some potential adjustments could occur in our current class depending on what happens with other commitments.

vCash
    The problem is we are thin other spots as well like DL

vCash
    Was J Lewis not good last year for Germantown? Just trying to figure out how he blew up so late with both OM and State getting on him really late and MSU apparently later than MSU.

It’s not like he’s playing 1a ball either. We’re grades a potential issue or something like with KJ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Was J Lewis not good last year for Germantown? Just trying to figure out how he blew up so late with both OM and State getting on him really late and MSU apparently later than MSU.

It’s not like he’s playing 1a ball either. We’re grades a potential issue or something like with KJ
    He must've grown. I have no other explanation.

I hope we get him, but, as you kind of stated, I question how "good" he is. Just seems like a LB with his mearsurable at a big school near Jackson would be well known if he were any good. Germantown isn't exactly Rosa Fort, Houston HS, Eupora, or somewhere in the Delta where the pop up guys normally come from.

It's interesting to me that he's rated above our JUCO LB Strong, who is much more ready to play & by all logic a much better player. Does raw & better measurables equal better player than a guy that multiple SEC teams are recruiting to start next season?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He must've grown. I have no other explanation.

I hope we get him, but, as you kind of stated, I question how "good" he is. Just seems like a LB with his mearsurable at a big school near Jackson would be well known if he were any good. Germantown isn't exactly Rosa Fort, Houston HS, Eupora, or somewhere in the Delta where the pop up guys normally come from.

It's interesting to me that he's rated above our JUCO LB Strong, who is much more ready to play & by all logic a much better player. Does raw & better measurables equal better player than a guy that multiple SEC teams are recruiting to start next season?
    247 has to do something different in the way they rate JUCO players. Jadarrius Perkins has 36 total offers, 21 P5 offers, including schools like Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc. Now of course, those may not be committable, but the point stands that he's a very coveted recruit with a good skillset, yet he's only rated as an 88 3*. If you take a high school kid and give them those same offers, they're at least a 94-95 rated 4*.

vCash
    247 has to do something different in the way they rate JUCO players. Jadarrius Perkins has 36 total offers, 21 P5 offers, including schools like Alabama, Florida, Oklahoma, Oregon, etc. Now of course, those may not be committable, but the point stands that he's a very coveted recruit with a good skillset, yet he's only rated as an 88 3*. If you take a high school kid and give them those same offers, they're at least a 94-95 rated 4*.
    Yeah.

Here is my explanation for 247's rating formula:

They don't consider risk & instead focus on size, speed, & strength. They rate players based on ceiling rather than how likely they are to be good.

Evaluating is about two questions: What can they do & how likely are they to do it? It seems that 247 only considers the 1st question & they also don't rank for position value. Like having Kadarius Calloway, who we may get, being ranked above Sawyer Robertson is stupid. It's just plain stupid.

If we had a college football draft: in what order do Robertson, Calloway, Lewis, & Strong go in?

Without a doubt, I believe they go in this order:

Robertson
    Strong
    Calloway
    Lewis

Now, Lewis may turn out to be a stud, but that's not the point. Risk & position value has to be considered more in the way they rank players, if they want to be more accurate at predicting NFL draft picks.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yeah.

Here is my explanation for 247's rating formula:

They don't consider risk & instead focus on size, speed, & strength. They rate players based on ceiling rather than how likely they are to be good.

Evaluating is about two questions: What can they do & how likely are they to do it? It seems that 247 only considers the 1st question & they also don't rank for position value. Like having Kadarius Calloway, who we may get, being ranked above Sawyer Robertson is stupid. It's just plain stupid.

If we had a college football draft: in what order do Robertson, Calloway, Lewis, & Strong go in?

Without a doubt, I believe they go in this order:

Robertson
    Strong
    Calloway
    Lewis

Now, Lewis may turn out to be a stud, but that's not the point. Risk & position value has to be considered more in the way they rank players, if they want to be more accurate at predicting NFL draft picks.
    They also need to do away with composite, because rivals and ESPN are clueless

vCash
    The problem is we are thin other spots as well like DL
    I agree. But next year there are several in state prospects that are legit and we should get some of those. Charlton will help with that some as well. We could see a DL of Crumedy/Pickering/Charlton next year with a second string of Odom/Young/Harris and we would also have Banks and Cooley behind those two groups plus whatever we acquire this year. So to me, on paper we look OK especially if we land another HS DE.

He's a guy that got overlooked by the 247 guys because of camps being cancelled more than anything. Same with CJ Johnson.

247 could start by actually paying attention to JUCO's. They just seem to carpet bomb them with a three star rating no matter what.

They also need to do away with composite, because rivals and ESPN are clueless
    Agreed. I don't even look at the composite.

vCash
    I get 24/7 may have overlooked him but a guy at Germantown HS shouldn’t be coming out of nowhere to MSU and OM who kept a decent part of their instate recruiting staff in place.

It’s just odd and I even know a couple of Gtown coaches and when we were discussing a DL kid who went to Navy last year neither of them said anything about Lewis or just a “yeah the current kid is good but we have a stud SEC level LB to watch next year”

As Shotgun said maybe he grew 4 inches and put on 30 pounds.

vCash
    I get 24/7 may have overlooked him but a guy at Germantown HS shouldn’t be coming out of nowhere to MSU and OM who kept a decent part of their instate recruiting staff in place.

It’s just odd and I even know a couple of Gtown coaches and when we were discussing a DL kid who went to Navy last year neither of them said anything about Lewis or just a “yeah the current kid is good but we have a stud SEC level LB to watch next year”

As Shotgun said maybe he grew 4 inches and put on 30 pounds.
    yeah, I don't get it

vCash
    The Johnson kid is also a mystery since his dad is a team dr.

I assume he’s not new to that position which means you would think he would have been to every camp we’ve had. So while the new staff may have had no clue you would think Hughes and Peterson, etc would have known about him. But his name never came up from anybody until he blew up a few weeks ago. I don’t know that we even had a PWO for him

vCash

I assume he’s not new to that position which means you would think he would have been to every camp we’ve had. So while the new staff may have had no clue you would think Hughes and Peterson, etc would have known about him. But his name never came up from anybody until he blew up a few weeks ago. I don’t know that we even had a PWO for him
    Our staff knows about players before 247 does and I'm sure the staff has been keeping their eyes open on guys for awhile now. I suspect Johnson was under evaluation since he was a Navy commit.

vCash
    Johnson's mother is a team doctor.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash

You are possibly confusing him with Altmeyer. Johnson's mom is a doctor on campus.

vCash
    Yep sorry mixing up the parents but the argument is the same. You would have though get we would have heard the name before.

Going to be an interesting 2 weeks because the staff has some decisions to make including how many scholarships to leave open for transfers