Page 104 of 136 FirstFirst ... 45494102103104105106114 ... LastLast
Results 2,061 to 2,080 of 2710

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

vCash
    You have to be really careful relying on JUCO and transfers to build a program. See JWS. Can they help fill immediate needs? Sure. But there's a reason they went JUCO or transferred. CML would have run off a few of the past big JUCO guys, unless he abandoned his no nonsense policies.

vCash
    Just give the guys a chance. To much hype is given to the "data" on the recruiting sites. Obviously these guys are good evaluators of football talent, but its not a perfected science. There could be 3/4 NFL players in the class and it not be obvious at this time. Sucks to lose players that have the measurables but its not the end of the world.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Hampton is way more talented than Toles. Toles wasn't an SEC athlete. Hampton is.

I think Hampton's athleticism would've gotten him 15 new offers within the next week. We did the right thing here
    Not convinced that Hampton or Toles are really SEC material but at some point you have to sign the best you can get.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Not convinced that Hampton or Toles are really SEC material but at some point you have to sign the best you can get.
    Hampton is an SEC athlete. We'll see if he can play DB
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Recruiting effort by the staff wasn?t the issue...
    Flips by kids in the 23rd hour has zero to do with effort from this staff. If anyone doesn?t understand what happened there then it?s best you don?t even worry with football recruiting for next year

Do we need to hire more recruiting guys in the football program.. **** yes.. There aren?t enough Pat Austin?s on the staff.

The only kid out of the 3 I feel bad for is Nabers.. the other 2 Strong and MJ they can **** off..

Saying that, you all act like this class is bottom 50 in the country.. shit we still have room for Half a dozen or so guys
    Anderson 4 star and Cooper 3 star.. will get one should get both
    Perkins a solid CB that will help day 1.. odds in our favor..
    With OM basically out of spots and money If Hunter wants to play in the sec he will be a State

There?s four guys we need to close.. and hopefully the portal is finally good to use.. we have one that should be in Charlton.

Yes would have loved to kept the 3 we lost. But wouldn?t it be karma at its best if Hampton has a better college career than MJ.... he was damn sure cheaper..
    I think I do understand what happened in the 23rd hour on those guys. And if I do understand I don't really see how hiring more football recruiting guys within the program will help. Seems the only thing that would really help would be having more recruiting guys OUTSIDE of the football program. Now that being said, the coaching staff we currently have could have done a LOT more to help in the recruiting effort by putting a better product on the field. When you combine outside pressures from other schools (some impermissable and some permissable) with the fact that our football product on the field since the LSU game has been abysmal, then you have problems holding onto recruits that have other options. I would be willing to bet that if we had finished this year 5-5 or so with an improving team then there is a much higher chance that we sign all 3 of the guys that we lost on signing day. Heck, OM looks like the more promising program right now and LSU, as bad as they have been this year, picked a bad time, at least for us, to beat a Top 10 SEC team. And they are still LSU. In some ways we probably did well to hold what we did. All prospects can really see right now is an unproductive offensive team and a lot of players quitting or opting out of the program. A lot of guys want to be a part of a winning program or a program that has a good chance to win. Leach and staff haven't shown that at MSU yet. Kiffin has shown more promise at OM. That is just calling a spade a spade.
    Last edited by maroonmania; 12-18-2020 at 02:42 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Doggie_Style View Post
    I think there is an appropriate time to sign a player lke Hampton....IMO the early signing period ain?t it...legit recruiting staffs push kids like that off till February and concentrate on bigger fish....just tells you we got more spots than quality prospects
    Its not like we used our last spot on him. We still have plenty of spots for any bigger fish we can get in the net.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PendingTransaction View Post
    You have to be really careful relying on JUCO and transfers to build a program. See JWS. Can they help fill immediate needs? Sure. But there's a reason they went JUCO or transferred. CML would have run off a few of the past big JUCO guys, unless he abandoned his no nonsense policies.
    I especially agree with this on transfers. I could give you a laundry list of JUCOs that have been great players in our program but I can't even think of a handful of D1 transfers that have helped us. Now I know you don't want to get too reliant on JUCOs but given our inability to attract many of the elite talents coming out of HS we HAVE to supplement with some of the best JUCOs out there to have a chance to compete with the upper level SEC teams that reel in Top 10 classes every year. But back to transfers, we just don't seem to have any luck there. I'm sure there have been one or two tranfers that may have helped us over the years but none are really jumping out to me. Last one I can think of that was really good was Olanda Truitt under JWS but that's been nearly 30 years ago.

vCash
    As far as Hampton, the saying is true. You can't teach speed or size. Some of our fans really are the worst losers imaginable. Yes, he will have to learn the position, but so what? He had an offer from Indiana. Yes, that top 12 ranked Indiana. Auburn was talking to him. Yall really insult a lot of these kids because they aren't what you wanted. Let's see what we have in him. This is a good solid class and when we are done in February it will probably be in the upper 20s. Just like Moorehead's class last year that I didn't hear crap about.

vCash
    Recruiting effort by the staff wasn?t the issue...
    Flips by kids in the 23rd hour has zero to do with effort from this staff. If anyone doesn?t understand what happened there then it?s best you don?t even worry with football recruiting for next year

Do we need to hire more recruiting guys in the football program.. **** yes.. There aren?t enough Pat Austin?s on the staff.

The only kid out of the 3 I feel bad for is Nabers.. the other 2 Strong and MJ they can **** off..

Saying that, you all act like this class is bottom 50 in the country.. shit we still have room for Half a dozen or so guys
    Anderson 4 star and Cooper 3 star.. will get one should get both
    Perkins a solid CB that will help day 1.. odds in our favor..
    With OM basically out of spots and money If Hunter wants to play in the sec he will be a State

There?s four guys we need to close.. and hopefully the portal is finally good to use.. we have one that should be in Charlton.

Yes would have loved to kept the 3 we lost. But wouldn?t it be karma at its best if Hampton has a better college career than MJ.... he was damn sure cheaper..
    Spot on as always.
    couple of questions for you Ari or anyone in the know on Hampton and Hunter.
    1. Hampton - Do we know his time in the 40? Heard things but assuming 4.5 in actuality? I have a relative that coaches in N. MS and he said the kid is a heck of an athlete. Hampton does have the same vibe as guys in the past we took after losing another guy, and then becomes a star.
    2. Hunter- Assuming he was taking his time for options, understandably, but is he a possibility to join us as a defensive player? That would be a good pull if he decides that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Santiago View Post
    2. Hunter- Assuming he was taking his time for options, understandably, but is he a possibility to join us as a defensive player? That would be a good pull if he decides that.
    If Hunter comes, I believe he will be on defense. He is a plus athlete and would make a great safety.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    If Hunter comes, I believe he will be on defense. He is a plus athlete and would make a great safety.
    Agree.
    I don’t think Hunter is a SEC difference maker on offense.. but who would have thought B Holloway would have been as productive as he was.. Hunter doesn’t have that kind of speed but he is more talented all around..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    As far as Hampton, the saying is true. You can't teach speed or size. Some of our fans really are the worst losers imaginable. Yes, he will have to learn the position, but so what? He had an offer from Indiana. Yes, that top 12 ranked Indiana. Auburn was talking to him. Yall really insult a lot of these kids because they aren't what you wanted. Let's see what we have in him. This is a good solid class and when we are done in February it will probably be in the upper 20s. Just like Moorehead's class last year that I didn't hear crap about.
    Agree. Let’s give Hampton a few years to see how he adjusts to the position .. if it doesn’t pan out no harm no foul. Like I said he was WAY less expensive than MJ..
    in recruiting today some battles you win, some battles you lose, some battles you HAVE to win no matter what ( Simmons , Jones) and some battles you just pass on ... that’s MJ ..

vCash
    Quick break down on the class by position IMO...

Qb... A+ got the 2 guys he wanted. And got the prize in Sawyer.

RB... incomplete.. not really a position of need. But talk of Price possibly at Rb and also Hunter still out there

OL... B- .. May not have a crown jewel in it , but flipping 2 from P5 schools ( Boone and Reese) and OM doing us a solid with Pounders and then looking like assholes in the end.

WR... B .. would have been A+ if we had kept Nabers or flipped Smith. But Knox is still the lead dawg. Losing Buck not a big deal . I think Jacobi is the 2nd best in the state. Wait and see on Harmon but good get late in the game could have big upside. And Thomas was a SC cocks commit at one time.. good flip there

TE... see WR

DL .. C- (incomplete) . let’s see if we close one or 2 of Cooper and Anderson. If we get both there’s your B
    Hopefully Charlton is as advertised.

LB .. B. I know we lost Strong , or as some on here refer to him as Mike Singletary , to LSU.. but the staff likes Page I do know that and we landed the best LB in the state in Lewis.. Not to mention Out of state guys Rogers and Mitchell . we have always had very good success with out of state LB the last few years..

DBs.. F ( incomplete) I will grade harsh here . With reason. Calloway , Daniels, Walley (0-3) If we close Perkins and land another late DB it will get off the failing grade.. good thing is we are fairly young in the backend but unproven.. a couple come to mind in Dean and Richardson .. we do have 2 future pro CB in Forbes and Emerson. but really can’t miss on some guys next year.. getting Peters and Morgan back will help a lot. Would love to get a transfer with a 2-3 years left to play

Down year in Mississippi for amount of talent.. out of top 4 we landed one in Lewis
    Davis, Calloway, Daniels the other 3 IMO

Next year in state looks to be much better.. need a good year on the field and hopefully the staff learns from year one in recruiting in the SEC.. it’s no picnic..esp with our resources or lack there off.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 12-19-2020 at 09:50 AM.

vCash
    We had no plan for MJ bolting. That's on the staff. We were still looking for a couple DBs to go along with Johnson and Perkins if we get them. It's been bad at the DB spot. Those two can ease the pain some. Losing Strong who grew up a State fan and lives with a signee is bad too.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 12-19-2020 at 11:35 AM.

vCash
    Quick break down on the class by position IMO...

Qb... A+ got the 2 guys he wanted. And got the prize in Sawyer.

RB... incomplete.. not really a position of need. But talk of Price possibly at Rb and also Hunter still out there

OL... B- .. May not have a crown jewel in it , but flipping 2 from P5 schools ( Boone and Reese) and OM doing us a solid with Pounders and then looking like assholes in the end.

WR... B .. would have been A+ if we had kept Nabers or flipped Smith. But Knox is still the lead dawg. Losing Buck not a big deal . I think Jacobi is the 2nd best in the state. Wait and see on Harmon but good get late in the game could have big upside. And Thomas was a SC cocks commit at one time.. good flip there

TE... see WR

DL .. C- (incomplete) . let’s see if we close one or 2 of Cooper and Anderson. If we get both there’s your B
    Hopefully Charlton is as advertised.

LB .. B. I know we lost Strong , or as some on here refer to him as Mike Singletary , to LSU.. but the staff likes Page I do know that and we landed the best LB in the state in Lewis.. Not to mention Out of state guys Rogers and Mitchell . we have always had very good success with out of state LB the last few years..

DBs.. F ( incomplete) I will grade harsh here . With reason. Calloway , Daniels, Walley (0-3) If we close Perkins and land another late DB it will get off the failing grade.. good thing is we are fairly young in the backend but unproven.. a couple come to mind in Dean and Richardson .. we do have 2 future pro CB in Forbes and Emerson. but really can’t miss on some guys next year.. getting Peters and Morgan back will help a lot. Would love to get a transfer with a 2-3 years left to play

Down year in Mississippi for amount of talent.. out of top 4 we landed one in Lewis
    Davis, Calloway, Daniels the other 3 IMO

Next year in state looks to be much better.. need a good year on the field and hopefully the staff learns from year one in recruiting in the SEC.. it’s no picnic..esp with our resources or lack there off.
    QB: A+
    RB: B+
    WR:B
    OL: C+
    DL: B- (Anderson has already signed)
    LB: A-
    DBs: F

vCash
    The program needs momentum.

With Momentum I think 3 of Daniels, Calloway, Walley, and Deion are ours.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    The program needs momentum.

With Momentum I think 3 of Daniels, Calloway, Walley, and Deion are ours.
    We need a damn win today. Win today and in the bowl game, and we can get a running start towards next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    We need a damn win today. Win today and in the bowl game, and we can get a running start towards next year.
    Agree. I think this staff will win, but the sooner we start playing better, the easier recruiting will be.

vCash
    Harmon is definitely full of potential. If his work ethic is as mentioned, being a hard worker, he will be a definite mismatch on the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    We had no plan for MJ bolting. That's on the staff. We were still looking for a couple DBs to go along with Johnson and Perkins if we get them. It's been bad at the DB spot. Those two can ease the pain some. Losing Strong who grew up a State fan and lives with a signee is bad too.
    With Strong situation... See MJ..
    and in saying no backup plan.. we aren’t Bama or Clemson.. we don’t have multiple highly ranked guys to fall back on at all positions., and Daniels isn’t a 5 star cant miss kid.. yes he might end up being really good but he was ranked basically the same as Dean last year ..