Page 30 of 136 FirstFirst ... 2028293031324080130 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Leach doesn't do much recruiting at all. His staff led by Dave Emerick really get after it on the recruiting trail.
    And that seems fine.

With Tony Hughes, the retained recruiting staff, some real go getter position coaches, & Leach's offensive reputation, I think that's enough.

The truth is that Leach's offensive system sells itself. He's already got the best QB commitment we've ever had & he's getting more interest in quality WRs than we've ever had. What will our WR recruiting look like as he has success at MSU?

As for defensive & OL recruiting, how much of a difference was Leach going to make at those positions anyway? Not much & I'm sure he'll involve himself some.

If you really want to understand MSU football right now, you have to separate Leach's job description.

Leach = Sean Payton

Emerick = Mickey Loomis

We are almost set up like an NFL org with way talent acquisition relates to coaching.

The strength of that set-up is that the position coaches get to offer players & thus that ensures that they're going to coach their ass off because they have skin in the game & are coaching only players they wanted.

It's take an inordinate amount of non-micromanaging to allow that but Leach seems to be good with it.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 05-17-2020 at 10:39 PM.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    New OL offer

Kimo Makaneole 3 ⭐️ OT

https://www.hudl.com/video/3/8122937/5de2e1622aa6880e3431a758

My goodness, this kid is strong, fast, mean, well coached, and big and lean for an OT. He just pounds on guys.

I'm LOVING the kind of players this staff is offering. I want this kid. You can tell that we are after a different type of player than in year's past, but dang, these past few OL offers have been solid finds

vCash
    Leach doesn't do much recruiting at all. His staff led by Dave Emerick really get after it on the recruiting trail.
    And to echo what Shotgun said- that's fine as long as the rest of the staff makes up for it. And that appears to be the case so far. I would have been fine if Dan had the same set up. However Hevesy, Gonzalez, Sallach, and maybe at times Knox were all liabilities. That's not OK.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    And to echo what Shotgun said- that's fine as long as the rest of the staff makes up for it. And that appears to be the case so far. I would have been fine if Dan had the same set up. However Hevesy, Gonzalez, Sallach, and maybe at times Knox were all liabilities. That's not OK.
    The results were ok. The NFL drafts were the most ever suggests he knew what he was doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    The results were ok. The NFL drafts were the most ever suggests he knew what he was doing.
    That only reflects the players he actually got to come to MSU and not people he missed liked Sahdiiq Charles and AJ Brown.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldawg28 View Post
    It's sad that your serious.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Reed Buys OT from JC JC just committed. Dont sleep on him. He will be a player for us. Listed at 6'5 290 but he is long and athletic. Was coached by the Morgans and Warren Central. Mean too. Perfect Leach OL. His OL's are always slept on. They are always nasty

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Reed Buys OT from JC JC just committed. Dont sleep on him. He will be a player for us. Listed at 6'5 290 but he is long and athletic. Was coached by the Morgans and Warren Central. Mean too. Perfect Leach OL. His OL's are always slept on. They are always nasty
    Class of 2020. Late add

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Yep he's a 2020 kid. Going to enroll this summer. 4 to play 3. Likely RS this season with 3 years available starting the 2021 season.

vCash
    Yep he's a 2020 kid. Going to enroll this summer. 4 to play 3. Likely RS this season with 3 years available starting the 2021 season.
    Not to take the thread off topic but with Reese gone you still think he is a RS? I think he is good enough to compete for depth

vCash
    Good kid, Great family!
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Not to take the thread off topic but with Reese gone you still think he is a RS? I think he is good enough to compete for depth
    The plan is to RS. I don't see him coming this summer to do enough not to RS. If he does he's better than we anticipate.

vCash
    His brother was a walk-on at OM, correct?

vCash
    I like picking up Buys! Seems like a guy that is a hard worker that can play center or guard for us. I'd rather get guys like this than guys from Alabama that are raw that don't really want to be here and then transfer out after a year.

vCash
    I like picking up Buys! Seems like a guy that is a hard worker that can play center or guard for us. I'd rather get guys like this than guys from Alabama that are raw that don't really want to be here and then transfer out after a year.
    That 2nd scenario happens rarely.

vCash
    The plan is to RS. I don't see him coming this summer to do enough not to RS. If he does he's better than we anticipate.
    Ben Beckwith 2.0. And that's a VERY good thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    His brother was a walk-on at OM, correct?
    Yes. But his sister went to MSU and was Miss Mississippi or something like that I read.

vCash
    That 2nd scenario happens rarely.
    Yeah- but it's still a mistake when it does.

vCash
    C- Sharp and Cole Smith
    G- Parker and Suggs or Jones, maybe Lashley, maybe Eiland
    G- Eiland or Lashley with James Jackson, Pendley, Suggs or Jones backing them up too however it works out.
    T- Cross or Lashley with Dolla Bill and Cunningham backing them up.
    T- Lashley or Eiland with Dolla Bill and Cunningham backing up.

Our depth is young which is probably the case for the most part around the country. But we look to be in decent shape even though the exact spots are up in the air at this point.

vCash
    Feels like a Ben Beckwith type.

I'm all for adding the right culture guys right now in the trenches.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    C- Sharp and Cole Smith
    G- Parker and Suggs or Jones, maybe Lashley, maybe Eiland
    G- Eiland or Lashley with James Jackson, Pendley, Suggs or Jones backing them up too however it works out.
    T- Cross or Lashley with Dolla Bill and Cunningham backing them up.
    T- Lashley or Eiland with Dolla Bill and Cunningham backing up.

Our depth is young which is probably the case for the most part around the country. But we look to be in decent shape even though the exact spots are up in the air at this point.
    Ehh, I think it?s more like (right to left):

OT: Eiland, Suggs
    OG: Parker, Cunningham
    OC: Sharp, Jackson
    OG: Lashley, Pendly
    OT: Cross, Dolla

...and I think Dolla moves to RT in 21 and creates the best 2 bookends in school history!
    Last edited by Tripp McNeely; 05-18-2020 at 08:10 PM.