Page 20 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1018192021223070120 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Kid is really raw but he has the athleticism & length that the staff loves. He has the tools to be molded into a very good player. You can tell he's never really been coached by some of his technique.
    And he's so young that he'll be an easy RS candidate. Big bodied kid with quality athleticism.

I'm in.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Kid is really raw but he has the athleticism & length that the staff loves. He has the tools to be molded into a very good player. You can tell he's never really been coached by some of his technique.
    Agree.. and wont be needed to play first 2 years... Extremely high upside I was told...

vCash
    I don't think it can be understated what a big deal it is that this staff has already been together at another school.

They aren't all learning what they want in the scheme or what their role is in recruiting. They've already got those things figured out at Wazzou.

When comparing this staff's recruiting & evaluation ability to say Moorhead's staff or Kiffin's staff, they have a huge advantage in that they already are all on the same page & know what they want.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think it can be understated what a big deal it is that this staff has already been together at another school.

They aren't all learning what they want in the scheme or what their role is in recruiting. They've already got those things figured out at Wazzou.

When comparing this staff's recruiting & evaluation ability to say Moorhead's staff or Kiffin's staff, they have a huge advantage in that they already are all on the same page & know what they want.
    Offensively for sure. On defense it's more of a mixed bag but still some continuity.

vCash
    Offensively for sure. On defense it's more of a mixed bag but still some continuity.
    Very true.

I just think that continuity is huge because it allows the staff to go all in & aggressively recruit a player quicker. Also that guy is more likely to pan out because they can directly compare him to other players that they recruited at other schools.

vCash
    Very true.

I just think that continuity is huge because it allows the staff to go all in & aggressively recruit a player quicker. Also that guy is more likely to pan out because they can directly compare him to other players that they recruited at other schools.
    Leach also gives his assistants the freedom to offer guys on their own without checking with him 1st.

vCash
    Leach also gives his assistants the freedom to offer guys on their own without checking with him 1st.
    Yup & that only comes with trust & that trust can only be built with continuity & working together before.

While it's different schools & different circumstances to some degree, this is similar to when Mullen went to Florida. Florida hit the ground running because the coaching staff was all on the same page.

I'm not saying that Kiffin won't be successful at Ole Miss (Although I don't think he will be), but with how many new people he has working together on that staff, it's going to take them a while to gel & figure out what an "Ole Miss player" looks like in their schemes. To combat this, Kiffin will have to micro-manage his tail off to compensate & that takes it's toll as we saw with Joe.

Leach has a well oiled machine & he only has to worry about coaching, which makes coaching easier & much better.

vCash
    That’s the one concern... for the first time in a long time the talent in Mississippi on the defensive side of the ball in the 2021 class is extremely thin.
    Going to have to get the players outside of the state and/or juco ...

This is the one good thing CJM did in his 2 years he did balance out the roster and brought in some very nice young talent on defense..
    CML and the staff are going to have to work extra hard this year to find and sign defensive guys , hopefully the 2022 class in the Sip will showcase some DL and LB Studs...

I don’t think we will ever have many concerns on QB / WR and even RB as long as CML is here...

vCash
    Hopefully, that is something we can bridge by having kept Rob Morgan and Brad Peterson around - their knowledge of MS means they have 1 less thing to learn
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Hopefully, that is something we can bridge by having kept Rob Morgan and Brad Peterson around - their knowledge of MS means they have 1 less thing to learn
    Rod Gibson*

vCash
    Corey Ellington commits to MSU

Rated an 84 by 247, but everyone is going to have to get comfortable with bad ratings this season.

Here's what I see. He's 6'3" 190 & can run with fluid movements & good burst.

I see a quality safety prospect here. I get a less hyped Tony Connor feel with him. Maybe more raw. IDK

[tweet2]1255936157885575168[/tweet2]
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 04-30-2020 at 02:28 PM.

vCash
    Tennessee with it's 2nd 5 star commit this week.

Looks like they're officially back to cheating their ass off.

I just find it incredible which teams get a free pass in cheating & which don't. A&M & Tennessee have been meh for a decade yet everyone looks the other way.

vCash
    Tennessee with it's 2nd 5 star commit this week.

Looks like they're officially back to cheating their ass off.

I just find it incredible which teams get a free pass in cheating & which don't. A&M & Tennessee have been meh for a decade yet everyone looks the other way.
    TN never stopped recruiting well. They've been a top 12 recruiting school the last 7 years. They've had 2 Top 7 classes in that span. Only difference right now is they're having a run of top guys instead of spreading them out. This isn't new or news.

vCash
    Corey Ellington commits to MSU

Rated an 84 by 247, but everyone is going to get comfortable with bad ratings this season.

Here's what I see. He's 6'3" 190 & can run with fluid movements & good burst.

I see a quality safety prospect here. I get a less hyped Tony Connor feel with him. Maybe more raw. IDK

[tweet2]1255936157885575168[/tweet2]
    He shouldn't be mentioned with Tony Connor. Ellington is a very solid pickup & I like his upside. Tony Connor was arguably the best safety prospect in the country coming out of HS & a sure fire 1st rd pick before he tore his knee up. That's not fair to Ellington to compare him to that type of player. I think he more resembles Mark McLaurin coming out of HS.

vCash
    He shouldn't be mentioned with Tony Connor. Ellington is a very solid pickup & I like his upside. Tony Connor was arguably the best safety prospect in the country coming out of HS & a sure fire 1st rd pick before he tore his knee up. That's not fair to Ellington to compare him to that type of player. I think he more resembles Mark McLaurin coming out of HS.
    Ok. Good comparison. I just mentioned Connor due to body type. Nothing else

vCash
    Ok. Good comparison. I just mentioned Connor due to body type. Nothing else
    Gotcha. Tony was around 6' 215-220llbs. Ellington is a long athlete closer to 6'3".

vCash
    IYOK,

Looks like Tony called Gibson, the position coach, & Hughes to commit & it appears that Pounders did the same last night.

That long with position coaches having the latitude to offer players without Leach's approval makes me wonder:

How involved is Leach in recruiting & is that going hurt us in locking down major prospects?

For example: If we're battling A&M for a player & the player really only talks to his position coach at MSU & the player talks with Jimbo often, how is that going to effect us?

At what level is Leach involved? Honestly, it's such a stark contrast that I don't know what to think about it

vCash
    I've wanted Ellington in this class whether it was as a S or WR. Too much length to pass up on when a guy can also play.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

was living way out West, but now back in the blessed state of Mississippi
    vCash
    Ellington can play on either side of the ball. He is deceptively quick due to his length, good top end speed, great hands, great leverage, high points the ball, will fight for it in traffic, is very physical. Won't lie, I'd take him as a WR, but he looks really good in coverage at FS, as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Westdawg View Post
    Ellington can play on either side of the ball. He is deceptively quick due to his length, good top end speed, great hands, great leverage, high points the ball, will fight for it in traffic, is very physical. Won't lie, I'd take him as a WR, but he looks really good in coverage at FS, as well.
    He's a Safety for us.