Page 23 of 136 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2021 MSU Football Recruiting Discussion Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Yeah. 247 struggles with JUCO guys because they’re hard to compare to a HS schooler due to age and they get far less hype.

That being said, they’re our bread and butter.

I get why they’re underrated but it is what it is. It’s also why we have the capacity to some years put a top 10 type roster on the field when our recruiting rankings say otherwise.

Our connections with the JUCO coaches allows us to evaluate these players better and quicker than other programs.
    They should just rate JUCO guys separately which I think they essentially do. But they just need to do a better job of rating them. They just don't pay attention to it because most football programs don't recruit as many as we do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ZedFedder View Post
    I don’t know if he had commitable offers from the other schools, but the fact they were interested says a lot. I won’t be surprised if this turns into a Montez Sweat situation where we got on a really good player early. Nobody knew this until he said so after he signed, but Sweat had offers from LSU and Florida. He didn’t do media so nobody knew and we got a first rounder as a three star.
    Sweat was a P5 transfer. People knew he was good. He was one of the top Jucos in the country.

vCash
    JJ Jones put out he Top 5 a little while ago and we are in it. We have a shot at him? Claims offers from Georgia, Tennessee, SC, and UNC.

vCash
    Seems like 2022 and some good front seven defensive prospects to go along with the 2021 secondary prospects.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    JJ Jones put out he Top 5 a little while ago and we are in it. We have a shot at him? Claims offers from Georgia, Tennessee, SC, and UNC.
    Not likely. But a long way to go.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Not likely. But a long way to go.
    I just love how many quality WRs we're in on.

Makes me think that once we show the passing game on the field, we could see a 5 star WR sign with MSU within the next 3 years
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Y'all still worried about this staff's ability to recruit?? LOL
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Y'all still worried about this staff's ability to recruit?? LOL
    Don't go there.

We all talked about how great Moorhead's recruiting was as well & there wasn't a penny's worth a difference between Joe's recruiting Mullen's.

Wait until the final ratings come out before deciding how good of recruiters this staff is, although that will be tough this year with the lack of ratings.

I am encouraged that their recruiting does seem to be far better than some feared due to the recruiting rankings at Wazzou

vCash
    Don't go there.

We all talked about how great Moorhead's recruiting was as well & there wasn't a penny's worth a difference between Joe's recruiting Mullen's.
    I still believe Moorhead was a great recruiter. Last year was one of the worst classes for top end talent in Mississippi - which is our bread and butter - and he still ranked near the top of where Mullen did even in better years. Further, he did that with a disillusioned fan base, which is no help.

The guy was not ready to be a SEC head coach, but he was a better recruiter than Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post
    I still believe Moorhead was a great recruiter. Last year was one of the worst classes for top end talent in Mississippi - which is our bread and butter - and he still ranked near the top of where Mullen did even in better years. Further, he did that with a disillusioned fan base, which is no help.

The guy was not ready to be a SEC head coach, but he was a better recruiter than Mullen.
    You could also argue that the previous year was the best recruiting class the state of Mississippi ever had, and he managed to let most of the big fish go out of state with OM under probation. There's no doubt Joe tried harder than Mullen and his staff. They put way more effort into it. But other than landing a few prospects that Mullen wouldn't have, I don't think it made that much of a difference. We're always going to recruit in the 20-30 range. I expect the same with Leach unless we just start taking the West by storm, which isn't impossible I guess

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 1bigdawg View Post

Maybe but that’s based way more on your opinion vs facts

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    You could also argue that the previous year was the best recruiting class the state of Mississippi ever had, and he managed to let most of the big fish go out of state with OM under probation. There's no doubt Joe tried harder than Mullen and his staff. They put way more effort into it. But other than landing a few prospects that Mullen wouldn't have, I don't think it made that much of a difference. We're always going to recruit in the 20-30 range.
    I’m not willing to concede always.

vCash
    Moorhead wasn't a great recruiter. He just worked harder and was more involved than Mullen. He was more likable as well (recruiting wise).

vCash
    Don't go there.

Wait until the final ratings come out before deciding how good of recruiters this staff is, although that will be tough this year with the lack of ratings.

I am encouraged that their recruiting does seem to be far better than some feared due to the recruiting rankings at Wazzou
    I disagree - there was a lot angst about "Leach doesn't care about recruiting" and "these guys haven't recruited in the SEC" etc.

Everything we have seen so far blows those theories out of the water. So now the default is "we won't know until the ranking come out". This isn't about rankings - it's about is this staff out there hitting it hard, pulling in obvious talent, filling our needs, and getting SEC caliber players or guys they feel will develop. Everything they are showing checks all the boxes. You are correct that we won't know the class results - but to me they are showing that they are at least as competent as the last two staffs about how they approach the job.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I disagree - there was a lot angst about "Leach doesn't care about recruiting" and "these guys haven't recruited in the SEC" etc.

Everything we have seen so far blows those theories out of the water. So now the default is "we won't know until the ranking come out". This isn't about rankings - it's about is this staff out there hitting it hard, pulling in obvious talent, filling our needs, and getting SEC caliber players or guys they feel will develop. Everything they are showing checks all the boxes. You are correct that we won't know the class results - but to me they are showing that they are at least as competent as the last two staffs about how they approach the job.
    I agree with this. I misinterpreted your original post

vCash
    I agree with this. I misinterpreted your original post
    Well, I didn't exactly provide any context.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Moorhead wasn't a great recruiter. He just worked harder and was more involved than Mullen. He was more likable as well (recruiting wise).
    I'll take trying and failing over not trying and leaving gaping holes in our roster.

vCash
    You can’t judge Moorhead on that loaded 18 class. Those relationships start being built with many of those elite guys when they are 9th and 10th graders. He had a year.

vCash
    Maybe but that’s based way more on your opinion vs facts
    Na. Moorhead's 3 classes are ranked higher than Mullen's first 3 classes.
    "We will have no problem in handling Kentucky."-Turfdawg67. MSU suffered a 27-17 defeat in 2022 with 225 yards in total offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Na. Moorhead's 3 classes are ranked higher than Mullen's first 3 classes.
    Are you seriously comparing what Mullen had to sell in his first three years vs what Moorhead had to sell?

Additionally, the recruiting sites rate far more players now which leads to many of those "under the Radar" types now being rated as high 3 stars, which leads to a boost in the rankings.