Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: MSU/Florida game 6 p.m.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I?m going to stick up for 7 right here. He hasn?t given up on this team one bit. My posts look stupid on here and yes I know if Perry keeps playing like he is he will be almost a loco for SEC player of the year but and there?s a big one this team is probably one of the more frustrating teams to watch Howland has had. For most of the first half we didn?t play defense and turned the ball over. In the second half we adjusted and stepped up our offensive execution but we still turned the ball over at an unprecedented rate. This is the most talented team Howland has had here and we are on the bubble and honestly should be comfortably in and playing for an SEC championship. If we played up to our potential at the start of the season, we probably are 17-4 instead of 13-7. But we still have plenty to play for and if we keep winning we will get to the dance and make the second weekend which I think is the end result everyone wants!
    We would have with Nick Weatherspoon. Also, building and gaining chemistry mid year was good for about 3 losses as well. We are much better than our current record.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    How many unforced turnovers have we committed? And HoopsDawg says point guard isn?t the problem? Please...
    Perry and ado alone had over half our turnovers

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Yeah Nick went for
    13 points
    8 dimes
    4 boards
    1 turnover .. yes 1

Senior Member THE Bruce Dickinson's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    What makes this a stupid post? That i don't like your daddy's coaching?
    Maybe you would prefer Kermit and blowing a 17 point half time lead to take his team to 1-6 in there conference.

Howland, in 5 years ,has brought us back to the place Stansbury had us during the Jamont/Rhodes era. We have only been to the tournament 11 times in the school's history. What exactly do you think Howland should be doing differently ?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bruce Dickinson View Post
    Maybe you would prefer Kermit and blowing a 17 point half time lead to take his team to 1-6 in there conference.

Howland, in 5 years ,has brought us back to the place Stansbury had us during the Jamont/Rhodes era. We have only been to the tournament 11 times in the school's history. What exactly do you think Howland should be doing differently ?
    It's not worth it man. This guy's in the crowd of people over on 247 that want Vic to coach the men AND the women. At the same time. So again, not worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplayslay View Post
    It's not worth it man. This guy's in the crowd of people over on 247 that want Vic to coach the men AND the women. At the same time. So again, not worth it.
    Amen.. ****ing amen..

vCash
    Howland teams always keep the fans hanging on with a win here and a win there. If he misses the tournament, he should retire. Talent is there.
    It's very much like the last few years of Stans.

vCash
    Got to take care of business Saturday vs tenn. This team just gave us a huge win; let's reward them with a home court advantage.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    That's kind of misleading because Perry had 7 and Ado had 1 even though the total is over half. Ado did alos mishandle a couple of balls but he was only credited with one turnover. Perry had a horrible game as far as turnovers but obviously played very well otherwise.
    The following is not directed at you but Ado gets a lot of grief and most of it is unwarrented. Yeah, he doesn't have the best hands but he has improved in that area and without his rebounds and blocked and altered shots our basketball team would be a much worse team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bigplayslay View Post
    Actually not at all. I like Howland. Think he is a great recruiter. I just dont enjoy watching teams in any sport that don't play with effort and execution. Im ok getting out talented, but I hate seeing us get outcoached and out worked. I feel like that has been the two previous years, much compared to our 2019 football team. When we win, we win with talent. We lose some games to talent too, but all the even talent teams we get out coached or out-hussled. For that reason, I have quit following as much because I got burned out at the end of the Stansbury error over the same issues (went to all home games). With that said, I am back on board to support this team as long as they continue to play with effort, regardless of Wins/losses.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post
    Yeah Nick went for
    13 points
    8 dimes
    4 boards
    1 turnover .. yes 1
    5 turnovers in 4 games is impressive to say the least (according to Dickie V last night)

vCash
    As crazy as it is, we're a horrendous offensive day and two buzzer beaters from being 16-4 and 5-1 in the conference. As Jon Rothstein tweeted out last night, we have one of the most talented rosters in the league. It finally looks like they're starting to gel. I think the way we fought back last night will give them confidence that with our talent we're never out of the fight. Need a big crowd every home game from here on out.

Banned
    vCash
    The fact that the guy who is the point guard only had 1 of our double digit turnovers DOES show that there is an issue with not having a true point. Nick himself is not the issue. The fact that he isn't a point guard is the issue. Not having a true point leads to guys who aren't as good of ball handlers handling the ball more and creating more for themselves. This leads to higher turnovers for them. This also perpetuates the issue we have with too stagnant of offense and iso-ball. Doesn't seem to be enough moving parts out there consistently.

This team is supremely talented. Maybe the most talented at MSU ever. But they don't play like a team. They play like 5 individuals wearing the same jersey. People mad about that are mad because it feels like wasted potential. It would be an absolute travesty to miss the tournament with this team. Yes, Ben can recruit his ass off to here. But he either needs to shore up the coaching or hire someone who can help.

vCash
    Ben Howland is one of the top 3 basketball coaches we have ever had. I'm far from wanting him to leave.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Ben Howland is one of the top 3 basketball coaches we have ever had. I'm far from wanting him to leave.
    He is number 2 .. if you considered Vic is #1
    If it’s just men’s hoops he is #1.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 01-29-2020 at 06:38 PM.

vCash
    If it’s just men’s hoops he is #1.
    How about Babe McCarthy?

vCash
    If it?s just men?s hoops he is #1.
    Sorry, I still have to put Babe McCarthy as number 1
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    If it?s just men?s hoops he is #1.
    Vic is #1
    Richard Williams #2
    Howland #3 at MSU ... if he goes to Sweet 16 and Final 4 in back-to-back years then he'll be #1 men's at MSU and wins tie-breaker because of his past pedigree also.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    The fact that the guy who is the point guard only had 1 of our double digit turnovers DOES show that there is an issue with not having a true point. Nick himself is not the issue. The fact that he isn't a point guard is the issue. Not having a true point leads to guys who aren't as good of ball handlers handling the ball more and creating more for themselves. This leads to higher turnovers for them. This also perpetuates the issue we have with too stagnant of offense and iso-ball. Doesn't seem to be enough moving parts out there consistently.

This team is supremely talented. Maybe the most talented at MSU ever. But they don't play like a team. They play like 5 individuals wearing the same jersey. People mad about that are mad because it feels like wasted potential. It would be an absolute travesty to miss the tournament with this team. Yes, Ben can recruit his ass off to here. But he either needs to shore up the coaching or hire someone who can help.
    This and it was always this. We literally start 2 five star and 3 four star players in our starting five. Kentucky and maybe Auburn are basically the only two teams that can match up with us talent wise in the league. We don?t even play one of our four star players at all in Elias King who is a heck of a shooter and player and when he has gotten minutes he?s made them count. Quintin Post was on the U19 Dutch national team and he doesn?t get any minutes at all. This team oozes with talent even on our bench and Howland basically is only playing 7 players any significant minutes. This team easily could go 9-10 deep and we could pick up the defensive intensity and run but Howland never developed our bench at all. We are where we are and we have to roll with it. Glad we finally are winning and playing to our potential. Hopefully we continue to.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    He?s the best recruiter we?ve had but he?s not the best bench coach. Richard Williams was a much better bench coach imo. I do hope Howland can figure out the bench coach aspect because that would be the best case scenario for all involved.