Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rate the DC hire

vCash

Rate the DC hire

The resume looks strong but knowing that he wasn?t doing the full game plan or calling the plays has me worried. That?s the part that separates Good DCs from position coaches.

The only clip I?ve watched was 2 years old and he didn?t come across as having that commanding presence but that can change in 2 years. I do like the 3-3-5 in concept for us.

I?ll give it a C right now just based on the fact there are so many unknowns.

What I really don?t want to happen is to look back and think we really messed up with Newberry (assuming we could have made it work). Granted he had only been a high level dc for 1-year as well.

vCash
    On creativity & ceiling an A+

On floor & the chances we see another Sirmon situation C-

We don't know. I like the idea though. We'll see if it can be executed
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    LOL Some people on this board worry about something, before there is even a reason to worry. Well, Newberry decided he didn't want to make a move this year. So you don't have to worry about that MSU messed up anything there. I'm not giving any rating now because any rating is only pure speculation, with no facts to back it up on how he will perform here.
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 01-22-2020 at 09:43 PM.

vCash
    Grading the hire before any games are played is like a teacher grading a test without looking at the test itself.

We can look at how smart a student is and how good they've scored in the past and have a decent idea of their grade on the test, but we still dont know until you look at the answers and any guess is pure speculation.

To make matters worse, this "student" has virtually no test history we can go on.
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 01-22-2020 at 09:57 PM.

vCash
    I'll give it an A.

I'm satisfied but the only reason it's not an A+ is because of the questions about how much input Long had vs. Arnett. That's a minor concern though and I believe he will be fine.

vCash
    Grade: C-

Guy was never really the DC, just had the title. He admits so himself.

"Everyone knows coach Long is the defensive coordinator,? Arnett said. ?He was generous enough to give me a title?he calls (the defense). He?s the guy who is generating the game plan.?

https://thedailyaztec.com/90011/spor...or-for-aztecs/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post

"Everyone knows coach Long is the defensive coordinator,? Arnett said. ?He was generous enough to give me a title?he calls (the defense). He?s the guy who is generating the game plan.?

August 15, 2018

vCash
    I'm pleased.

vCash

I'm glad that Mike Leach is making these decisions and not you. And I bet he's talked to Long and knows more about Arnet and his abilities/skills than any of us.

vCash

That was his first year. Long admitted last year Arnett took over. Our fans arent happy unless they are running a coach down

vCash
    Well all the hire will start 100, until their preparation and on the field performance says different.

vCash
    Come on. Some of you guys are too serious. This is just a fun topic.
    I'll give him 4/5. I think that he could be 5* but considering how we don't know if he called plays and how this formation lives and dies more than most on how prepared the opposing offense is to pick up what we're doing it could easily be Simon bad.
    I'm optimistic though and like the gamble because it can pay off big time and just what we need. We just better hope this guy is the real deal.

vCash
    Solid B with potential of being an A in the end.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    The resume looks strong but knowing that he wasn?t doing the full game plan or calling the plays has me worried. That?s the part that separates Good DCs from position coaches.

The only clip I?ve watched was 2 years old and he didn?t come across as having that commanding presence but that can change in 2 years. I do like the 3-3-5 in concept for us.

I?ll give it a C right now just based on the fact there are so many unknowns.

What I really don?t want to happen is to look back and think we really messed up with Newberry (assuming we could have made it work). Granted he had only been a high level dc for 1-year as well.
    B. If you add Rocky Long in an off field analyst position, A+.

vCash
    An offensive mind like CML knows what he likes and doesn't like in opposing defenses and ML has seen a lot of them and a lot of DC's .... even if it's 3rd or 4th choice I'm siding with Leach because he knows way more than most of us about this.... Starting with A+ just for the out of the box thinking
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    My thoughts exactly!! I think Leach knows more than all of us. I can't give a grade until I have something to go by.
    Last edited by Gypsy_RoadDawg; 01-23-2020 at 08:17 AM. Reason: Misue of grammar

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    That was his first year. Long admitted last year Arnett took over. Our fans arent happy unless they are running a coach down
    Never said I wasn't happy. Cautiously optimistic is the words I would use. But knowing that, I can't give him better than a C at this point.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pennywise View Post
    I'm glad that Mike Leach is making these decisions and not you. And I bet he's talked to Long and knows more about Arnet and his abilities/skills than any of us.
    Yep I'm glad too because I just don't know. I'm optimistic that it works out and think that it probably will.

vCash
    My only concern is that I think it may come with a painful adjustment period. My understanding is that his defense prioritizes speed and will sacrifice size to get it. But I don't see a lot of speed on our D right now. I know we can get some by playing people at a different level (i.e., make a safety an OLB, make a bigger LB a rush end, etc), but outside of that, the depth chart doesn't seem to be built for his D. But calling my understanding superficial might be giving it too much credit. Still worries me.

vCash
    Not sure we've got the personnel to run that D. Nonetheless, on paper I'm giving the hire a "C".
    "The QB and the receiver weren't on the same page there, but hey its only week eleven". (Jack Cristil)