Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: S&C

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Offshore Dawg View Post
    AND DICIPLINE
    Oh yes. No more showing up when you want and doing what you want. The accountability has definitely changed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msbulldog View Post
    I hope your right Todd.
    There is a reason why many consider S&C the second biggest hire after the head coach. S&C is a big reason why Moorhead failed and a big reason why Dan was successful.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Went to see my son in Starkville today. He said he has a class with a few football players. They told him this offseason workout is way harder than last year's and it's not even close. He said they come in talking about being sore everyday and having to get up at 6 in the morning. I think we will see our toughness and strength regained next fall.
    This and JoVester wanting to be buddies with the players are why we saw a net negative 2 wins per season under Sloppy Joe.

That?s why most people are expecting a down year in year one under Leach. And this is why I am not. Less than 7-8 wins will be disappointing. 8 should not expected.

vCash
    "He said they come in talking about being sore everyday"

^^I don't know about this^^ Our guys are only 3 weeks removed from the last game. They were in pretty good shape....enough to where they wouldn't be sore from a few weeks layoff even if the offseason conditioning is a lot tougher than last years...If you've spent a decent amount of time in the gym you would know this. Now if they hadn't worked out in 6 to 8 weeks then I could see this happening but not after only 3 weeks off.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post

^^I don't know about this^^ Our guys are only 3 weeks removed from the last game. They were in pretty good shape....enough to where they wouldn't be sore from a few weeks layoff even if the offseason conditioning is a lot tougher than last years...If you've spent a decent amount of time in the gym you would know this. Now if they hadn't worked out in 6 to 8 weeks then I could see this happening but not after only 3 weeks off.
    Off season work out regiments are much different than in-season though. You are still working out during the season, but you are also saving your body to be fresh for Saturdays. Now they are doing much heavier work and much different kind of work, both of which can create soreness. I would actually be worried if they weren't sore/tired at the start of the offseason program. It SHOULD be different and harder than what they've been doing for several months now.

vCash

I think that's the point--they're not experiencing an expected soreness because of a normal long layoff and resumption of training. They're sore because either (1) the training is a lot harder than before or (2) they did have a long layoff of little to no training when they shouldn't have because they just played in a bowl game.

vCash

Have you ever taken 3 weeks off from working out. Let me tell you, muscle atrophy is very very quick. For every day you don't continue working out, you lose 2 days of training. And it hurts. Let me tell you from experience.

vCash

Do you know about football lifting? I coach high school and have talked to college coaches, and some teams don't even lift in-season. Most do, as well the high school team where I coach,but it's only for injury prevention and is very light. The heavy lifting ends at the end of July. That's called the off-season. Those guys haven't really worked out heavy in 6 months, and that coupled with a new, harder regiment means hell yes they're sore. This ain't meathead gym lifting we're talking about.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowbell View Post
    Have you ever taken 3 weeks off from working out. Let me tell you, muscle atrophy is very very quick. For every day you don't continue working out, you lose 2 days of training. And it hurts. Let me tell you from experience.
    Gonna have to disagree, especially at that age. The atrophy at 18-23 is much slower than at 30-40. I?m 36 and can go months without working out. I do not do heavy bulk lifting any longer. I?ll go back to the gym and do about 90-95% my normal weight workout and barely get a tinge of soreness. That?s just to get back into the swing. Can get back up to regular workout weight writhing a week or two. Your body gets into a setting until you change it. Can take 6-12 months of doing or not doing something to change your internal settings.

If I go in there and do something that I have not been doing before and do not know any limits for my body, I am as sore as hell and struggle to move the next day. That is without anything close to the nutrition regiment the college athletes have these days.

Side note. If anyone does a workout, where they know soreness is in their future, pop some vitamin E before bed and drink plenty of water. It will dramatically help reduce the lactic acid over night as your body repairs. Any antioxidant type vitamin will help, I?ve just found vitamin E to be beneficial.

I think the point to his entire post is that they players are saying the previous off season workouts were never this tough. That is the key takeaway, most are missing here.

vCash
    Wasn't sure about lifting in season but figured they didn't lift much at all and if so it would be pretty light. I’ve often wondered what someone who produces great results (like Piroli/Savage) have the guys do for offseason workouts (the full routine and how they mix it up over time).

Relative to weight lifting/body building, you don't want the muscles fatigued on gameday and it takes a muscle group 2 to 3 days minimum to recover and grow after a heavy or high intensity workout. Large muscles take the longer time. The younger you are, the quicker the recovery. Steroids speed up recovery to a very large degree.

Don't know what exercises or how many reps they do off-season but high intensity is prefatigue of the muscle with isolation exercises then very heavy (close to max) with low sets/low reps of mass building exercises for the same muscles. I figure they do the big mass builders and explosion exercises like cleans, squats, deadlifts, incline/decline bench, overhand/underhand pullups/lat pulldowns, low cable rows, etc.

When I was much younger I would work out like a madman and always plateau with very small if any gains in mass and/or strength after about 6 weeks or a couple of months. I'd work out hard for 4 to 6 months or so with less gains over the last few months. I could get the gains going again somewhat by mixing up my routine, but still they slowed down a good bit. Then I would get away from it chasing other interests and/or getting busy doing something else. After I would quit working out my mass (and stamina) would increase a good bit over the next 2 to 4 weeks or so. If I got back after it in about 3 to 4 weeks, I felt mega strong with a lot of energy the first few workouts when starting again. The muscle actually grows during rest/recovery. I wasn’t sure of the reason for this until I read Mike Mentzer’s book on High Intensity Training.

He wrote an excellent book about all this. If performing high intensity workouts (which will put the most mass on someone), the only way to be able to really workout, with less than 3 days of rest, and gain mass for large muscle groups is to use steroids (or nowadays there are probably many other legal and less harmful supplements that may help). And he actually recommends a week (minimum) of rest for the large muscles (quads, hamstrings, pects, lats) and I usually give a muscle group a week myself. My gains in strength and mass are really good when following his program. I'm old so I just sit around and get fat these days.

This is just the weightlifting/body building side of things tho, not the aerobic or maybe the other explosive running/jumping type exercises they may do. And the good trainers also probably push their limits here so they are able to dig down deep in the 4th qtr of a tough game.

The younger someone is, the quicker they recover. Muscle atrophy doesn't happen that quickly. And everyone is an individual so not one-size-fits-all kinda thing either. I have wondered how often/how intense they workout, and also how long they are allowed to recover between workouts. Building endurance requires more frequency while building mass requires less.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 01-26-2020 at 10:40 AM.

Banned
    vCash
    thanks for this Dawgday. If you get second could you give an outta shape 57 yr old some advice as I know little about this subject and I'm gonna have to make some life changes if I intend to age well. Back when I was in my early 30's, I started out being able to do about 18 push ups and worked every day at it until I got up to where I could do about 65 in one set. Now I cannot even do 1. I forget how many pull ups I could do back then but I would be scared to even try that now. My diet is fantastic filled with daily high fiber, fruits and veggies. I can't lose my belly fat though prolly due to having a few cocktails every night. Prolly need to limit those to the weekends.

I'm 5'7 and small boned but have a 34 inch waste that should be 28. I would like to do some things that could eventually have me not looking like a pregnant grandmother.

vCash

Hey Rouge

Im 36 also n I'm a trainer, I went to a class at the UFC Performance Institute awhile ago...they said anti-inflammatory meds reduce the benefits of exercise due to the fact that inflammation is the response your body actually wants/needs to grow and get used to the stimulus. I personally took that w a grain of salt though bc if im inflamed im not working out for shit, I have been using cbd for a few years now. So in my opinion, its a give and take w inflammation..Anyway, just figured I'd pass on the knowledge. Sidenote: I met Francis Ngannou and I felt so helpless, he's the nicest monster I've ever met

vCash
    Thank you!! It?s one of my favorite baby pics!!
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RougeDawg View Post
    Gonna have to disagree, especially at that age. The atrophy at 18-23 is much slower than at 30-40. I?m 36 and can go months without working out. I do not do heavy bulk lifting any longer. I?ll go back to the gym and do about 90-95% my normal weight workout and barely get a tinge of soreness. That?s just to get back into the swing. Can get back up to regular workout weight writhing a week or two. Your body gets into a setting until you change it. Can take 6-12 months of doing or not doing something to change your internal settings.

If I go in there and do something that I have not been doing before and do not know any limits for my body, I am as sore as hell and struggle to move the next day. That is without anything close to the nutrition regiment the college athletes have these days.

Side note. If anyone does a workout, where they know soreness is in their future, pop some vitamin E before bed and drink plenty of water. It will dramatically help reduce the lactic acid over night as your body repairs. Any antioxidant type vitamin will help, I?ve just found vitamin E to be beneficial.

I think the point to his entire post is that they players are saying the previous off season workouts were never this tough. That is the key takeaway, most are missing here.
    Rouge - I understand your experience but that has not been mine. If I take two weeks off I start back sore. And I'm younger than you. I was the same way in college.

But I was always sore going from in season workouts to offseason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    thanks for this Dawgday. If you get second could you give an outta shape 57 yr old some advice as I know little about this subject and I'm gonna have to make some life changes if I intend to age well. Back when I was in my early 30's, I started out being able to do about 18 push ups and worked every day at it until I got up to where I could do about 65 in one set. Now I cannot even do 1. I forget how many pull ups I could do back then but I would be scared to even try that now. My diet is fantastic filled with daily high fiber, fruits and veggies. I can't lose my belly fat though prolly due to having a few cocktails every night. Prolly need to limit those to the weekends.

I'm 5'7 and small boned but have a 34 inch waste that should be 28. I would like to do some things that could eventually have me not looking like a pregnant grandmother.
    Check your PMs.

vCash

lol I'm only 26 but I feel you on the belly fat thing. For me sugar and alcohol are the things that immediately make my stomach explode. But crown and sprite is sooooo good lol.

As far as exercise go I recommend body weightstuff to everyone. No gym membership fees, no time lost dressing and driving, no social interaction, no schedule to work around. waiting on water to boil? That's a couple sets of exercises. show on commercials? That's a set of something. For $15 bucks you can get a book on it that shows proper form and difficulty progressions and how to target specific muscles. I figure time I max that out I'll be pretty happy with how I look and can decide to do the gym/home gym to improve or do bodyweight to maintain. But for 99% of us the problem is getting to where bodyweight is no longer as efficient as free weights, so I do calisthenics because I can actually make myself stick to it
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 01-26-2020 at 02:04 PM.

vCash
    It's 90% diet

vCash
    My diet is fantastic filled with daily high fiber, fruits and veggies. I can't lose my belly fat though prolly due to having a few cocktails every night. Prolly need to limit those to the weekends.

It's 90% diet. It doesn't matter if you eat fruit and veggies in addition to pizza and ice cream. That doesn't mean your diet is good.

It's about how many calories you consume. If you consume less calories than your body burns, you lose fat. If you consume more, you gain fat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    It's 90% diet. It doesn't matter if you eat fruit and veggies in addition to pizza and ice cream. That doesn't mean your diet is good.

It's about how many calories you consume. If you consume less calories than your body burns, you lose fat. If you consume more, you gain fat.
    as far as loosing weight I'd say it's 99%, just because the more calories you burn in exercise the more your body will adjust it's appetite to it. Michael Phelps used to eat 8,000 calories a day. I couldn't do that if I tried. But I'm not burning 5,000 a day either.

And from a health standpoint it does matter what those X calories are made up of. Veggies + Ice cream still has a lot more good stuff in it than pizza+Ice cream. OLJWales was talking about being healthy for his old age so I assume he means total health, not just weight.
    Last edited by the_real_MSU_is_us; 01-26-2020 at 02:37 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    as far as loosing weight I'd say it's 99%, just because the more calories you burn in exercise the more your body will adjust it's appetite to it. Michael Phelps used to eat 8,000 calories a day. I couldn't do that if I tried. But I'm not burning 5,000 a day either.

And from a health standpoint it does matter what those X calories are made up of. Veggies + Ice cream still has a lot more good stuff in it than pizza+Ice cream. OLJWales was talking about being healthy for his old age so I assume he means total health, not just weight.
    When pizza is served in office functions, I only eat the cheese and meat. I leave bread & rice alone, rarely eat sweets and get my starches from beans, quinoa, lentils and stuff. Eat more fish these days but will never give up on my steak grilling. I'd rather die now than give up steaks and ribs.