Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: How Many Games Can Leach Win Next Year with This Offense?

vCash
    With Leach I see 6 with a fighting chance at 8. If we'd kept Shitshow Joe, I'd see 4 with a fighting chance at 6.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post

Love your optimism, though
    College football's best commodity is hope. Hope to get back to being. #1. That was such a high and we've proven we are capable. Just gotta work hard to do it right this time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post

With all that, Ceiling is 11. Basement is 4. Disappointment is below 6. Realistic goal is 8. Anyone operating with higher expectations and being disappointed with a 6 or 7 win season is setting themselves up for failure. Anyone expecting more than 8 is also setting themselves up for failure.

With that being said I'm probably going to pick 10-2 or 11-1 by the time we preseason predictions come around because wool will be thick.
    LOL ... you back in your groove now. Surprised it's gonna take you till beginning of season to actually make the 11-1 prediction **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dantheman4248 View Post
    College football's best commodity is hope. Hope to get back to being. #1. That was such a high and we've proven we are capable. Just gotta work hard to do it right this time.

Btw, I do hope you end up being right. That would be awesome.

vCash
    Let?s re visit this after spring game however. We add Castello and out floor is 7 and out ceiling is 9
    Some of y?all are under selling the defense and WR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgfan77 View Post
    Let?s re visit this after spring game however. We add Castello and out floor is 7 and out ceiling is 9
    Some of y?all are under selling the defense and WR.
    Don't expect State to look like gangbusters in the spring game if we go good on good.

2 weeks of practice ain't a whole lot.

If we do look good offensively good on good. Then I'll change my satisfaction with 6 wins next year.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Don't expect State to look like gangbusters in the spring game if we go good on good.

2 weeks of practice ain't a whole lot.

If we do look good offensively good on good. Then I'll change my satisfaction with 6 wins next year.
    Spring is only the beginning. The Fall is when things start shaping out where more questions get answered.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post

Love your optimism, though
    Bump the gif for awesomeness

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    7 is our ceiling

We wont be very good on D in 2020.
    Leach wins. He consistently has more wins than the he should per talent gap.

WSU 4 year average Recruiting Ranking is 61.

Based on that as a measure of roster talent, WSU should have been 4-8. They were 6-6. Leach was good for +2 wins. Leach with "his QB" is +4 to +6

MSU's 4 year ranking is 21.
    MSU, on the same metric, should out talent 6 teams, lose to 4, and 2 are the same "talent" as us (Ole Miss and Arkansas).

Our floor is 7. Ceiling is 10.

Unless you think Leach is 18 years of smoke and mirrors and is not really a good coach....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    Leach wins. He consistently has more wins than the he should per talent gap.

WSU 4 year average Recruiting Ranking is 61.

Based on that as a measure of roster talent, WSU should have been 4-8. They were 6-6. Leach was good for +2 wins. Leach with "his QB" is +4 to +6

MSU's 4 year ranking is 21.
    MSU, on the same metric, should out talent 6 teams, lose to 4, and 2 are the same "talent" as us (Ole Miss and Arkansas).

Our floor is 7. Ceiling is 10.

Unless you think Leach is 18 years of smoke and mirrors and is not really a good coach....
    Just not sure Leach is going to make that big of a difference in year one. If he sprinkles his magic fairy dust on a DC, and we find out our WRs were really held back by coaching, we will be really good on offense. I don't know that that's a reasonable expectation. I think Leach performs with mediocre talent in part because he is good at recognizing potential and then helping players realize that potential, not because he can turn any piece of shit into a good QB or WR. I think we will have enough options between players on the roster and potential transfers that he will figure out something at QB. Just not sure that he is going to be able to make the current crop of WRs good. I certainly think he could take players that looked like our WRs in highschool and turn t hem into a solid WR corps, I just don't think he can necessarily do that without picking those WRs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    Just not sure Leach is going to make that big of a difference in year one. If he sprinkles his magic fairy dust on a DC, and we find out our WRs were really held back by coaching, we will be really good on offense. I don't know that that's a reasonable expectation. I think Leach performs with mediocre talent in part because he is good at recognizing potential and then helping players realize that potential, not because he can turn any piece of shit into a good QB or WR. I think we will have enough options between players on the roster and potential transfers that he will figure out something at QB. Just not sure that he is going to be able to make the current crop of WRs good. I certainly think he could take players that looked like our WRs in highschool and turn t hem into a solid WR corps, I just don't think he can necessarily do that without picking those WRs
    Yeah too bad Leach never had to transition from a run first team to his air raid ever in his career. He won't have any idea what to do****

To prepare his receivers' ankles and knees for the unusual punishment of his nonstop-running offense, Leach has installed a 40-yard-long sand pit on his practice field; slogging through the sand, he says, strengthens the receivers' joints. And when they finish sprinting, they move to Leach's tennis-ball bazookas. A year of catching tiny fuzzy balls fired at their chests at 60 m.p.h. has turned many young men who got to Texas Tech with hands of stone into glue-fingered receivers.
    Or our WR's were having to overthink a complicated system, and get used to playing with 2-3 different QB's, plus split reps in practice with the equally complicated Running game.

Now they they will be catching Tennis balls for practice and getting all of the reps in practice...

Leach didn't pick Couch, or Kingsberry, They all did pretty well in their first year in the system. OU Passed for under 110 yards a game in 1998. Tech threw for less than 175 per game. Kingberry was recruited into a Run first system.

In Leach's first year, his quarterback, Tim Couch, threw for 3,884 yards; the year after that, Couch, who lasted for only a few disappointing years in the N.F.L., threw for 4,275 yards. After Kentucky, Leach moved to Oklahoma for a single season, 1999. That year Oklahoma went from 101st to 8th in the country in offensive scoring. Its quarterback, Josh Heupel, passed for 3,850 yards that season, which was 1,700 more than any quarterback in Oklahoma football history had thrown for in a season.
    "There's two ways to make it more complex for the defense," Leach says. "One is to have a whole bunch of different plays, but that's no good because then the offense experiences as much complexity as the defense. Another is a small number of plays and run it out of lots of different formations." Leach prefers new formations. "That way, you don't have to teach a guy a new thing to do," he says. "You just have to teach him new places to stand."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2005/12/04/m...very-deep.html

Is it guaranteed his system will work? It has for 18 years, with less talent.