Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: T Buck

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The teams pass defenses were similar. WSU was 114th MSU was 97th. I don't know the reason for WSU struggles. The year before they were an average pass defense. 4th in the PAC 12.
    Interim DC with a ton of underclassmen

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post
    Is TBuck gone a done deal?? In another thread someone was saying they thought he's being retained. No one knows where it originated from that he's staying.
    What say you IYOK??
    He's not coming back & likely headed to OM.

vCash
    Not sure why anyone is upset. Most on this board screamed for change and a budget to make it happen. It happened. Perhaps the word 'change' does not mean what you think it does?

vCash
    He gone per Johnathon Banks.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Average recruiter and below average position coach. Contrary to popular opinion by a lot of MSU fans, you have to actually be able to coach the position you recruit to be successful.
    It's not that you don't have to be able to coach it. It's just that coaching certain positions is extremely easy. It's not that is isn't important. It's that you can find a ton of people to coach cornerbacks. You can't find a ton of great recruiters. Buckley is an ok recruiter. He's fine as a corners coach. It isn't a big loss. Hopefully the next guy up can recruit better. We will need them to because quite frankly Buckley was very hit or miss at the most important part of his job, which is recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    He's not coming back & likely headed to OM.
    It's a good situation for FSU to bring him back in some capacity. Kinda telling that they haven't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    It's not that you don't have to be able to coach it. It's just that coaching certain positions is extremely easy. It's not that is isn't important. It's that you can find a ton of people to coach cornerbacks. You can't find a ton of great recruiters. Buckley is an ok recruiter. He's fine as a corners coach. It isn't a big loss. Hopefully the next guy up can recruit better. We will need them to because quite frankly Buckley was very hit or miss at the most important part of his job, which is recruiting.
    While some will lay claim that youth is the reason, I saw far too often Mississippi State’s young corners not understanding their coverage assignments, taking too many false steps in their drops, and playing with poor leverage to believe these guys were coached well. Even with the veteran corners the team has had over the past 4 seasons, we had guys who were talented but underachieved. Jamal Peters was not nearly as good as he should have been with his talent level. Cam Dantzler was a potential stud that wasn’t maximized. I mean, there is a reason that Dan Mullen did not take Buckley with him to Florida. There is a reason he was one of the coaches that were not poached from our staff over the past two seasons. There is a reason that he is pretty much limited to going to Ole Miss at this junction.

vCash
    Buckley was an average coach and recruiter. People are enamored with him because of his playing career. We'll be ok with someone else

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    While some will lay claim that youth is the reason, I saw far too often Mississippi State’s young corners not understanding their coverage assignments, taking too many false steps in their drops, and playing with poor leverage to believe these guys were coached well. Even with the veteran corners the team has had over the past 4 seasons, we had guys who were talented but underachieved. Jamal Peters was not nearly as good as he should have been with his talent level. Cam Dantzler was a potential stud that wasn’t maximized. I mean, there is a reason that Dan Mullen did not take Buckley with him to Florida. There is a reason he was one of the coaches that were not poached from our staff over the past two seasons. There is a reason that he is pretty much limited to going to Ole Miss at this junction.
    The reason he wasn't picked up is because he's an average recruiter. Freshmen corners are going to play with bad technique and be out of position because they don't know what they are doing and it's not really fair to blame that on the coach. The only thing that fixes some things is time. We had the #1 defense in the nation last year and our secondary played outstanding. It's about talent and a really good DC that knows how to maximize the talent that the people like your corners coach accumulates. We both agree that Buckley is not a big loss though. Ole Miss did a good job hiring him. He's probably the best they can do and it makes a headline for them. They hired a guy that fosters a culture that kills his players a couple of weeks ago. That doesn't really have anything to do with Buckley but I felt like mentioning it anyway.
    Last edited by Jarius; 01-17-2020 at 09:48 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I'm fine with Leach bringing in his offensive guys. But we upped our assistant salary pool to 4.7 million. This shouldn't be just an opportunity for the WSU staff to get a raise. I want no part of their guys on defense. He needs to hire a stud DC and let him spend the money to get good assistants here. TBuck at OM only hurts us if we go cheap and hire an average coach.
    Let's see who Leach hires as his DC first before we talk about the budget. He actually fired their DC midway through the season and McBath was the interim DC. Safe to say that Leach won't be bringing in Tracy Claeys who he fired this year.

No question in my mind that he hires someone that is likely going to be good and well known with what we can offer.

We also need to keep in mind that our entire football staff was an issue last year. They allowed what went on as a staff. For us to change the culture we're going to have to basically clean house. Even though I think Shoop is good and wouldn't have minded keeping him or T-Buck. Surrounding yourself with people that you trust is typically a wise move- which is what Leach is doing. Assuming McBath is coming on we still have three open spots- and we may be able to get him a little cheaper which could be beneficial now that LSU has lost Aranda.

Speaking of Aranda- we need to remember that Leach is really good at identifying great assistants and Aranda is one of those that he identified early on.

I think we'll all feel better once our staff is filled out honestly. We're in a state of unknown right now and it's causing people to get antsy. I still think we don't announce a DC until the middle of next week so I'm preparing myself to deal with the meltdown and fallout from our fans because of it. We'll see if we name someone tomorrow.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Let's see who Leach hires as his DC first before we talk about the budget. He actually fired their DC midway through the season and McBath was the interim DC. Safe to say that Leach won't be bringing in Tracy Claeys who he fired this year.

No question in my mind that he hires someone that is likely going to be good and well known with what we can offer.

We also need to keep in mind that our entire football staff was an issue last year. They allowed what went on as a staff. For us to change the culture we're going to have to basically clean house. Even though I think Shoop is good and wouldn't have minded keeping him or T-Buck. Surrounding yourself with people that you trust is typically a wise move- which is what Leach is doing. Assuming McBath is coming on we still have three open spots- and we may be able to get him a little cheaper which could be beneficial now that LSU has lost Aranda.

Speaking of Aranda- we need to remember that Leach is really good at identifying great assistants and Aranda is one of those that he identified early on.

I think we'll all feel better once our staff is filled out honestly. We're in a state of unknown right now and it's causing people to get antsy. I still think we don't announce a DC until the middle of next week so I'm preparing myself to deal with the meltdown and fallout from our fans because of it. We'll see if we name someone tomorrow.
    Yea. Cohen no doubt told Leach about our culture issues. The last thing Leach is going to want to do when inheriting a bunch of spoiled babies who have not been made to act right the past 2 years is to keep a players coach who they all love and adore. Maybe there's a reason a bunch of guys with shitty attitudes all love him so much.

vCash
    Yea. Cohen no doubt told Leach about our culture issues. The last thing Leach is going to want to do when inheriting a bunch of spoiled babies who have not been made to act right the past 2 years is to keep a players coach who they all love and adore. Maybe there's a reason a bunch of guys with shitty attitudes all love him so much.
    Could be. And our fans need to give Leach's guys a chance. Most of them are from the South or Texas. Except the Mele who is from New Jersey but the ironic thing is he is considered Leach's best recruiter so he will probably be fine. Morris looks like an up and comer that probably would have been hired by a SEC school as an o-line coach at some point. Spurrier obviously knows what the SEC is all about and is a huge upgrade at WR. Nichols was a candidate to be the OC at SMU. We're keeping Hughes. Matt Brock was a Broyles Award nominee in 2017 as a ST coach so that's a huge upgrade as well. McBath who likely will replace T-Buck is from Texas and has played in the NFL himself.

So far not a bad staff at all. And I suspect the defensive staff will be good as well once it's filled out. I liked Shoop but Marve didn't impress me at all and Deke has always had question marks about his coaching ability.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Moorhead proved that needing to be from the south to be a good recruiter is complete BS. Saban as well. It's about relating to people and building relationships. No one knows if these guys are good recruiters or not. No one can recruit to freaking Washington State. That's like Freeze recruiting to Arkansas State. Yea, Freeze cheated but he was still a really good relationship builder and that didn't show up in recruiting until he went to a place where you could actually get in the door with good prospects.

vCash
    While some will lay claim that youth is the reason, I saw far too often Mississippi State?s young corners not understanding their coverage assignments, taking too many false steps in their drops, and playing with poor leverage to believe these guys were coached well. Even with the veteran corners the team has had over the past 4 seasons, we had guys who were talented but underachieved. Jamal Peters was not nearly as good as he should have been with his talent level. Cam Dantzler was a potential stud that wasn?t maximized. I mean, there is a reason that Dan Mullen did not take Buckley with him to Florida. There is a reason he was one of the coaches that were not poached from our staff over the past two seasons. There is a reason that he is pretty much limited to going to Ole Miss at this junction.
    And the recruiting issues at that position is why we have youth issues and having to play them before they are ready

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Is Ole Miss hiring T Buck?

I genuinely hope Leach is making a mistake here.

This is the first situation that makes me a little worried.
    Why do you HOPE Leach is making a mistake?
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Why do you HOPE Leach is making a mistake?
    Huh?
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Sometimes when you, yourself, are extraordinary in something - translating that to others is really hard because others physically can't do it or mentally can't comprehend it.

I'm not going to run down TBuck just because he isn't being retained. What I will say is that he was really, really good at playing football. Sometimes though, those that can play the game at that level have a hard time verbalizing and teaching others because those being taught can't physically do it.

Some of the best coaches weren't outstanding players and some of the best players are crappy coaches.

vCash
    Moorhead proved that needing to be from the south to be a good recruiter is complete BS. Saban as well. It's about relating to people and building relationships. No one knows if these guys are good recruiters or not. No one can recruit to freaking Washington State. That's like Freeze recruiting to Arkansas State. Yea, Freeze cheated but he was still a really good relationship builder and that didn't show up in recruiting until he went to a place where you could actually get in the door with good prospects.
    Or Liberty. Right now ranked 92nd on 247 in recruiting. That Square is a magical place.**

vCash
    The entire pay the staff more money thing is nothing but ego. Just because you have more money doesn't mean they are worth it.... it's inflation just because. Now if we spent it on people who were worth it ok.... I digress
    Last edited by Homedawg; 01-17-2020 at 11:20 PM.

vCash
    T-buck was/is a great coach! Most of you seem to have forgotten how bad corner play was. They were either constantly being beat with deep passes or playing off allowing guys to catch everything in front of them and just pushing them out of bounds. It was prevent defense bad.