Page 9 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    This sucks & looks bad but much like the HC search the end result is all that matters. If he still ends up with a good DC all is well. If he ends up with trash then the search looks terrible.

I don't think this hiring of staff is a big deal. There are very few coordinators that are hired that actually bring their staff with them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    This sucks & looks bad but much like the HC search the end result is all that matters. If he still ends up with a good DC all is well. If he ends up with trash then the search looks terrible.

I don't think this hiring of staff is a big deal. There are very few coordinators that are hired that actually bring their staff with them.
    Who do we turn to now? Really hope we go after Bateman at UNC.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    You might be right, but with us upping our salary pool by $1.2 mil, I think it's fair to question why we don't get some defensive guys with deep SEC/Southern roots who can coach who also have some connections/relationships built already with kids in our region. .
    Because Leach doesn't value southern roots with connections. He said so in "Swing Your Sword"

Give me the staff with coaching continuity & trust. That's how well oiled machines are built.

To me, the increase in coaching salaries is more about retaining these guys after year 1 than it is about poaching coaches that don't fit or Leach doesn't trust
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Who do we turn to now? Really hope we go after Bateman at UNC.
    Not sure we could pull him. They're a preseason top 25 team

vCash
    At this point just hand a blank check to Alex Grinch and let him fill it out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    At this point just hand a blank check to Alex Grinch and let him fill it out.
    That's not an advancement in his career.

vCash
    I'd double back around to Hazelton at Kansas St. I like him a lot,

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Newberry went back & forth with Navy before they let him hire his two guys.

Kiffin isn't letting Durkin hire his staff either.
    Well in the end that worked out for Navy...just hate it couldn't work out here b/c he's apparently good and proven moreso with the fact the Leach wanted him. Just seems that could have been conversations that could have happened before wasting 3 days of our time. If that was a deal-breaker you would have though that could have been communicated upfront

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I'd double back around to Hazelton at Kansas St. I like him a lot,
    This. He would by my first choice.

vCash
    Kate was not impressed with driving 20 miles to the nearest mall. Then upon seeing Leigh Mall, she asked where's the Target.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    Kate was not impressed with driving 20 miles to the nearest mall. Then upon seeing Leigh Mall, she asked where's the Target.
    if this was the reason or something close, then I'm glad we filtered that out before he came.

MSU will always be more successful when we have the full commitment of people that want to be here.

I can't imagine how big Mullen would've won if he & his DC wanted to be here for an extended period of time.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I will say this on Newberry - I have a small connection to a kid that's going to Navy next year and would play defense and the word was that he hasn't talked to Newberry hardly at all and his position coach not much more so while a good coach his guys may not have really been cut out for the recruiting requirements.

vCash
    I'll also agree with Shotgun that the important this is finding a guy that wants to be here and feels comfortable with Starkville. If the family isn't comfortable then he's not going to be comfortable and everyone will suffer for it. We've got to find a way from having 4 different DC's every 5 years.

vCash
    I hope we hire a DC that we have to worry about leaving every year. We aren't a destination job for hardly any aspiring coaches

vCash
    Ideally though you want to try and find the Bud Foster type guy that is a great coach and wants to build something and maintain it at a place he's happy.
    Last edited by Irondawg; 01-21-2020 at 10:35 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Irondawg View Post
    Ideally though you want to try and find the Bud Holmes type guy that is a great coach and wants to build something and maintain it at a place he's happy.
    You talking about Bud Foster? He came with Beamer to VT initially, so those that don't like that Leach is bringing some defensive guys with him won't love that.

But regardless, that is exceedingly rare. And if you could only have one (quality or loyalty), you would pick quality. So it seems like the most important thing is finding the best coach you can, and if that guy has loyalty, great. But it's better to have a very good coach who is only here a year or 2 than a mediocre coach who is fine staying forever.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    You talking about Bud Foster? He came with Beamer to VT initially, so those that don't like that Leach is bringing some defensive guys with him won't love that.

But regardless, that is exceedingly rare. And if you could only have one (quality or loyalty), you would pick quality. So it seems like the most important thing is finding the best coach you can, and if that guy has loyalty, great. But it's better to have a very good coach who is only here a year or 2 than a mediocre coach who is fine staying forever.
    Thanks - went back and fixed it. And yeah those guys are rare and yes you want to find the best coach available but if you have two guys close you want to find the guy least likely to constantly be looking for a way out. Our extreme instability on the defensive side has hurt us.

vCash
    Hope the new guy doesn't want to keep Buckley

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post

Bud Holmes has a Yancy connection.

vCash
    The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal? This is a really important hire. Wonder if we could go and poach one of the best defensive head coaches from the lower ranks and pay him $1,000,000 to take a Title demotion but to get into big time college football and get a raise? I hate to do that, but I don't see many good DC's going to a place where their staff has been picked for them and all have long standing relationships with the head coach where he doesn't. Maybe it's more common than I realize