Page 16 of 20 FirstFirst ... 61415161718 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I think that may be why this is taking so long. He wants to find someone who could cause issues for his offense thus cause issues for the new Bama & LSU offenses. There just ain't a ton of those available.
    Seems like that guy might be Rocky Long if that is what he is looking for.

How do you think State fans would react to that hire? The first take optics might be that we missed and settled (that may be the perception on any hire that is not a household name now after the Newberry saga). But, on the other hand, the 3-3-5 was ahead of its time in many ways and the defense popularized by Joe Lee Dunn coming home 20 years later is an attractive prospect. I wonder if he might even be a candidate for an emeritus type consultant role off the field if Long were the pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    I like Hazelton and Bateman would be ok. But I know nothing about the other two. Im pretty disappointed if this is the list. We have more money than we have ever had to get a legit LEGIT staff and probably the biggest DC hire that I can ever remember this is the list. Kinda bummed here. Go get a proven dawg to run the defense make somebody say no. Im hoping this has already happened and I dont mean it being just Newberry either.

Im praying for Hazelton I know he could do it
    So then give us the list of names you would be satisfied with.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    Yeah I agree. I was really hoping that Leach would understand you can't just outscore people in the SEC. Especially not at MS state. I'm pretty concerned at this point that he's doesn't seem to be putting a lot of stock in defense and recruiting, which doesn't set up well for success. Ive lost my erection after the Leach hire.
    So you're concerned he isn't putting much stock in defense because it's taking longer than you would like?

If anything, that indicates a thorough process, one that is being taken seriously. If we just immediately brought someone in, that might indicate it wasn't being taken as seriously. It wouldn't lead to this insane pout fest from the fanbase, but it wouldn't necessarily indicate a better process.

And LOL on the people upset that he's bringing a couple guys from WSU. Sure, those guys were on a staff that didn't produce a very good defense this year. They were also on the staff that produced maybe the best defense Leach has ever had that helped Washington freaking State finish in the top 10.

vCash
    What about Tim DeRuyter at Cal? What's opinions on him?

Got the PAC12 connection to Leach. He's had some solid defenses with a couple of mediocre ones mixed in but he's got tons of DC experience plus some SEC experience. But he already makes $800k though & he's from California.

At Cal the last 3 years: 2019= 32nd scoring defense (21.9 PPG), 2018= 22nd scoring defense (20.1 PPG), 2017= 78th scoring defense (28.4 PPG)
    At A&M for 2 years: 2011= 70th scoring defense (28.2 PPG), 2010= 34th scoring defense (21.9 PPG)
    At Air Force for 3 years: 2009= 10th scoring defense (15.7 PPG), 2008= 42nd scoring defense (22.2 PPG), 2007= 23rd scoring defense (21.1 PPG)

Just a name to throw out there.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    What about Tim DeRuyter at Cal? What's opinions on him?

Got the PAC12 connection to Leach. He's had some solid defenses with a couple of mediocre ones mixed in but he's got tons of DC experience plus some SEC experience. But he already makes $800k though & he's from California.

At Cal the last 3 years: 2019= 32nd scoring defense (21.9 PPG), 2018= 22nd scoring defense (20.1 PPG), 2017= 78th scoring defense (28.4 PPG)
    At A&M for 2 years: 2011= 70th scoring defense (28.2 PPG), 2010= 34th scoring defense (21.9 PPG)
    At Air Force for 3 years: 2009= 10th scoring defense (15.7 PPG), 2008= 42nd scoring defense (22.2 PPG), 2007= 23rd scoring defense (21.1 PPG)

Just a name to throw out there.
    Would be a home run hire and a good fit. Has head coaching experience so he should be able to handle the autonomy part well.

vCash
    Rosie threw out the name Zach Arnett to keep an eye on this morning. Been SDSU's DC/LB the last 2 years learning under Rocky Long. Played at New Mexico under Rocky as well. Got hired as Syracuse's DC not too long ago this month.

Main concern there has to be how much of the defense the last 2 seasons has Arnett actually run? I would imagine Rocky does most of the heavy lifting there right? They had the #2 scoring defense in the country this year at SDSU.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Bateman turned down our job as well. Sounds like our main targets aren't interested.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    Yeah I agree. I was really hoping that Leach would understand you can't just outscore people in the SEC. Especially not at MS state. I'm pretty concerned at this point that he's doesn't seem to be putting a lot of stock in defense and recruiting, which doesn't set up well for success. Ive lost my erection after the Leach hire.

If CML wasn't putting much stock in defense then he would have given all his defensive staff a good raise to come here, and then call it a day. CML wants to win here period. He wants the coaches around him who he thinks gives him the best opportunity to that. He also wants the best players, on the field, who he feels will also give him the best chance to win whether that be a freshman, senior, a player from the transfer portal, etc. So CML knows you need to have a good defense in the SEC to accomplish what he wants, our coaches want, our administration wants, and our fan base wants.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Bateman turned down our job as well. Sounds like our main targets aren't interested.
    Well this is getting disappointing. We're on at least 3rd choice now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    It's pretty sad. That's why I wish Leach would have found a DC and let him make the staff hires. No big-time DC is going to agree to come here with half of his staff already assembled with guys he may or may not know from a shitty defense.

vCash
    It's pretty sad. That's why I wish Leach would have found a DC and let him make the staff hires. No big-time DC is going to agree to come here with half of his staff already assembled with guys he may or may not know from a shitty defense.
    I doubt that's the reason.

My guess is DCs are hesitant to work for Leach. It would be interesting to see if he's always had a little trouble finding a DC.

I realize how MSU have the inferiority complex of thinking this is about us, but it may be more about Leach.

either way, hopefully he just finds the right guy. Mullen changed almost every year. We'll be fine
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

DC's do not make all the staff hires on the defensive side, whether some on this board think they do or should. They may have some input, but the final call is the HC's decision. They may bring one or two coaches with them. The HC is the one who has the overall ultimate responsibility for wins. The problem with WSU's defense was their DC and he was let go.

vCash
    Relax

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    DC's do not make all the staff hires on the defensive side, whether some on this board think they do or should. They may have some input the final call is the HC. They may bring one or two coaches. The HC is the one who has the overall ultimate responsibility for wins. The problem with WSU's defense was their DC and he was let go.
    This.

We'll be fine. I honestly feel like DCs are a dime a dozen. Just have to avoid the Sirmon type hire.

I mean, Dave Aranda just got a head coaching job with the 31st ranked defense that had NFL personnel at every position

vCash
    This is the latest red herring people have decided to come up with. No defensive coordinator has the authority to make his own staff hires. Todd Grantham didn’t make his own staff hires when he was hired. Neither did Bob Shoop. Neither did Manny Diaz, Geoff Collins, Chris Wilson, and Carl Torbush.

It simply doesn’t happen. Guess what. When LSU hires a defensive coordinator, that person is also not going to make all the defensive staff hires.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This.

We'll be fine. I honestly feel like DCs are a dime a dozen. Just have to avoid the Sirmon type hire.
    Agree. Take Shoop for example. When he had NFL talent all over the field he was number 1 in the nation. When he didn't we were 73 in the nation. Just get someone that halfway knows what they are doing. As stated, just don't make a Sirmon hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    4th

vCash
    It was just a matter of time for some on here. So here we go again I guess.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msudawg1200 View Post
    Agree. Take Shoop for example. When he had NFL talent all over the field he was number 1 in the nation. When he didn't we were 73 in the nation. Just get someone that halfway knows what they are doing. As stated, just don't make a Sirmon hire.
    Yeah. There is a needed competence level that you can't go below.

I feel like there are 3 levels of DCs.

1. Saban, Belichick, Rhule, Venables, etc. This level is small & these guys make a big difference. Although Clemson & Bama gave up more points to LSU than us.
    2. About 90% of DCs. Competent. Success depends almost completely on talent. Puts players in correct positions. Nothing special.
    3. Peter Sirmon & Ron Cooper. They only make up about 5% of the hirable pool of candidates, but just avoid these guys.

If Leach can just land one of the 90% of average DCs along with his offense, we'll be fine & win games. Hopefully through that, he may eventually be able to hire a level 1 DC. FWIW, I'm not sure if Newberry or Bateman are of the level 1 variety. My guess is that they are not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    4th
    Doesn't matter except to fan egos. In which in this case, it probably has more to do with the uncomfortable nature of working with Leach than it is about working at MSU.