That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mparkerfd20 View Post
    I hope he brings Brian Norwood with him
    He just got hired at UCLA yesterday.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    He just got hired at UCLA yesterday.
    So we just have newberry and Hughes as defensive coaches, right? Any word on how we plan to fill out def staff?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    So we just have newberry and Hughes as defensive coaches, right? Any word on how we plan to fill out def staff?
    I'm sure Darcel McBath is coming. If Leach bring in his DL coach Jeff Phelps I'm not sure about that. That leaves one spot open and if it were me I'd hire Jeff Koonz for it.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    McBath is also coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm sure Darcel McBath is coming. If Leach bring in his DL coach Jeff Phelps I'm not sure about that. That leaves one spot open and if it were me I'd hire Jeff Koonz for it.
    Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    McBath is also coming.
    Thanks

vCash
    Newberry took a couple guys with him from Kennesaw St to Navy, I know his DL and LB coaches for sure. Wouldn't shock me if he brought them along again, especially since I would imagine Leach will give him more autonomy on that side.

vCash
    DC - Newberry
    DL - Phelps
    LB - ???
    CB - McBath
    S - Hughes

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Newberry took a couple guys with him from Kennesaw St to Navy, I know his DL and LB coaches for sure. Wouldn't shock me if he brought them along again, especially since I would imagine Leach will give him more autonomy on that side.
    He mentioned that was something that was important to him in an interview I saw from the preseason. Having coaches that he was familiar with and having a working relationship with. With Norwood going to UCLA I suspect that we'll get our DL and LB coach from the Naval Academy as well.

vCash
    He mentioned that was something that was important to him in an interview I saw from the preseason. Having coaches that he was familiar with and having a working relationship with. With Norwood going to UCLA I suspect that we'll get our DL and LB coach from the Naval Academy as well.
    It won't be their DL coach. Phelps is coming to MSU also.

vCash
    It won't be their DL coach. Phelps is coming to MSU also.
    I thought that was just a rumor? We'll almost certainly hire Navy's LB coach then.

vCash
    I thought that was just a rumor? We'll almost certainly hire Navy's LB coach then.
    No Phelps is already here.

vCash
    Not a fan of Phelps being brought from WSU. I'm on board with everything else.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Not a fan of Phelps being brought from WSU. I'm on board with everything else.
    I definitely have questions about him as a recruiter no doubt. As a coach he's actually very solid. I do understand the stench of the WSU defense from last year being on him.

vCash
    I think Leach?s effort or lack thereof in recruiting is going to make or break him. He better find some guys that are going to recruit defensive talent

vCash
    I definitely have questions about him as a recruiter no doubt. As a coach he's actually very solid. I do understand the stench of the WSU defense from last year being on him.
    Assuming he is connecting with Key or trying to already, right? That is his first recruit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    I think Leach?s effort or lack thereof in recruiting is going to make or break him. He better find some guys that are going to recruit defensive talent
    Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I’m not sure where this falsehood started.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I?m not sure where this falsehood started.
    I think people have conflated the facts that he prioritizes coaching acumen in staff hiring decisions and targets specific player characteristics regardless of recruiting rankings with the idea he undervalues or short changes recruiting.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Since when did Mike Leach give little effort in recruiting? I’m not sure where this falsehood started.
    I think some of it is based off his reputation of spending a lot of time in Key West. Let?s not sugarcoat it, he does.

If he wins, no one will care. If he loses, it will be a problem for most people here (myself included) who believe that to win at MSU you need to be recruiting to Starkville, from Starkville, 365 days a year.