Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

vCash

DC Search Update?

Has there been any updates on this front? Was hoping we'd have one lined up by the weekend so he can get his position coaches in here for next weekend when OV's start back up.

One guy I haven't seen mentioned much that I wish would get a look is Charles Kelly at Bama right now. He's got an extensive resume. Ran Jimbo's defense at FSU for 4 years from 2014-2017 and did really well. He's 52 so that's kinda a perfect age, he's not young & inexperienced and is a proven commodity yet he's not too old to where he's on the back end of his career and still has the fire/passion needed. He's from Ozark, AL and has been at FSU, GT, and now Bama so he's very familiar with recruiting the South. He's got to have a ton of connections working in the South region and being from Alabama so I would assume he could put together an impressive staff.

And this guy has been mentioned a coupe times but also hope Jay Bateman from UNC gets a look. He's an "on the rise" guy who came in and turned the UNC defense around. He had very solid defenses at Army & the UNC defense in 2018 pre-Bateman gave up 34.5 PPG (104 out of 130 teams) but this year in his first year UNC gave up 23.7 PPG (44 out of 130 teams). Not sure on what kind of staff he could put together or how his recruiting is but that would largely hinge on his staff since the DC himself usually doesn't do the bulk of the recruiting.

Can anyone add any info on the search or rumors or opinions? It's been radio silent on this DC search the last several days it seems like.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

Banned
    vCash
    What day is it where we can start reaching out to the unsigned croots? Is Leach gonna have a full staff prior to that day?

vCash
    Let's ask Rougedawg what's going on behind the scenes.**
    Last edited by PMDawg; 01-17-2020 at 03:30 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by OLJWales View Post
    What day is it where we can start reaching out to the unsigned croots? Is Leach gonna have a full staff prior to that day?
    I believe today started the "contact period" again and runs through Feb. 1st. Then Feb. 3rd through Feb. 6th is another "dead period" before Feb. NSD gets here.

vCash
    This search is being run from the back porch in Key West so I doubt very much info comes out until its over.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    This search is being run from the back porch in Key West so I doubt very much info comes out until its over.
    Yep. Leach isn't taking these guys to Harvey's.

vCash
    How much does the LSU vacancy impact us? I doubt we're pulling from the same pool of candidates, but I would feel better if we'd had our guy locked up before Aranda left.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    How much does the LSU vacancy impact us? I doubt we're pulling from the same pool of candidates, but I would feel better if we'd had our guy locked up before Aranda left.
    Probably somewhat. Both of us are in the higher ranges of pay.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Navy DC, Kstate DC
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    Navy DC, Kstate DC
    Navy's DC drastically improved them this season. My only concern would be what kind of staff could he put together? Does he have enough connections to get a strong staff together, especially to recruit in the South?

Idk much on KState's DC....

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Navy's DC drastically improved them this season. My only concern would be what kind of staff could he put together? Does he have enough connections to get a strong staff together, especially to recruit in the South?

Idk much on KState's DC....
    Been with Klienman for long time. Really great at North Dakota St. surprised to see him mentioned as they have been together for a long time and look to be changing KST quickly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Been with Klienman for long time. Really great at North Dakota St. surprised to see him mentioned as they have been together for a long time and look to be changing KST quickly.
    Hazelton is a sharp cat and knows what he's doing. He would be a home run hire at DC,imo, but I can't see him leaving KSU. He's been with Klieman for awhile. Would love to get him, though.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    He actually left Klienman for some years.Coached at USC, Nevada, Jacksonville Jaguars, & the last previous 2 years he was the DC at Wyoming before he reunited with Kleinman at Kansas St.

ETA: he was at North Dakota St before Kleiman got there. So they may not be tied to the hip.
    Last edited by Ifyouonlyknew; 01-17-2020 at 12:21 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    He actually left Klienman for some years.Coached at USC, Nevada, Jacksonville Jaguars, & the last previous 2 years he was the DC at Wyoming before he reunited with Kleinman at Kansas St.

ETA: he was at North Dakota St before Kleiman got there. So they may not be tied to the hip.
    What's your thoughts on these 2 options, being the Navy DC (Newberry) and KState DC (Hazelton)? Heard any other options?

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    What's your thoughts on these 2 options, being the Navy DC (Newberry) and KState DC (Hazelton)? Heard any other options?
    Newberry has been great everywhere he's been but he only has 1 year of FBS DC experience. Hazleton has a good track record also.

vCash
    I'd keep an eye on Jay Bateman and Rocky Long still. No insider info.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post

Good deal I forgot he went to Wyoming and kept thinking he and Klienman had been together longer.

vCash
    Good deal I forgot he went to Wyoming and kept thinking he and Klienman had been together longer.
    Looks like they just overlapped for one year at ND St, where Klieman was actually DB coach under Hazelton; so that's interesting, perhaps if Hazelton had stuck around another couple years he would have taken over as HC instead.

So he's actually more tied to Bohl, and he left him to coach under Klieman because it was a move up, so he may be willing to do the same to come to State.

vCash
    Todd Orlando is another name possibly under consideration.

vCash
    Please no Todd Orlando - if you watched any Texas football this year you'd know why. Let's just say he and Peter Sirmon on not going to make big money teaching tackling techniques on the coaching seminar circuit.