Page 13 of 20 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

vCash
    What about Marcus Freeman, DC at Cincinnati? Saw his name mentioned on the 247 board by someone other than a mod over there. He's drastically improved their defense the last 2 years in a pass-happy and high-scoring league. He's young and on the rise so he'd be a little bit of a gamble but could be a high upside choice. Here's Cincy's defensive stats the last 3 years:

2017 (1st season): 93rd scoring defense, 31.7 PPG, gave up 224 passing YPG & 204 rushing YPG for total of 428 YPG

2018: jumped all the way up to the 8th scoring defense, 17.2 PPG, gave up 191 passing YPG & 111 rushing YPG for total of 302 YPG and averaged 1.5 TO's per game

2019: 24th scoring defense, 20.6 PPG, gave up 223 passing YPG & 138 rushing YPG for total of 361 YPG, averaged 2 TO's per game
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MaroonFlounder View Post
    I like the talented young D-Line. The back half of the defense will struggle.

Combined with the fact that air raid will have our Defensive guys right back out there, continuously.
    That’s not true. WSU defended the fewest plays in the PAC-12, 3 of the last 4 years. A lot of people have a false belief that his air raid is some type of HUNH or up tempo offense. That not true. They only are defending about 65-70 plays a game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That’s not true. WSU defended the fewest plays in the PAC-12, 3 of the last 4 years. A lot of people have a false belief that his air raid is some type of HUNH or up tempo offense. That not true. They only are defending about 65-70 plays a game.
    What a lot of people don't understand is that Leach's offense basically has running plays, except they're just not actual running plays. Short slants, screens, quick outs; they serve the purpose of a running play, except it just stretches the field. Those plays burn clock just like any rushing play.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Just offer Jay Bateman and call it a day.
    Why would Bateman leave UNC ? Hell the Navy coach wouldn't leave, why would Bateman?
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Why would Bateman leave UNC ? Hell the Navy coach wouldn't leave, why would Bateman?
    Double his salary. It's why most folks change jobs

vCash
    edit. delete
    Last edited by Santiago; 01-21-2020 at 06:43 PM.

vCash
    I still think we need to make another run at Randy Shannon. He supposedly makes $300K there at UCF - would he really turn down more than double the pay to stay in FL?

And I wonder if Walters comes back into play if LSU doesn't want him

vCash
    We can offer more money and an opportunity to coach in the SEC. I mean, we've been able to draw elite DC's going back to at least the 1990's. We can offer pretty close to top dollar now. I don't think UNC would outbid us if it came down to it.

vCash
    My top two are Bateman and Rocky Long. Either one.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bobcat91 View Post
    Double his salary. It's why most folks change jobs
    Didn't help with Newberry
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    We can offer more money and an opportunity to coach in the SEC. I mean, we've been able to draw elite DC's going back to at least the 1990's. We can offer pretty close to top dollar now. I don't think UNC would outbid us if it came down to it.
    If that were all there was to it, Newberry be here.

Again, why, other than money, would he come?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Look like I was wrong & some things went left.
    That?s one reason I value your posts. People who stand up and admit when they missed one are generally the ones with the best and most trustworthy info.

vCash
    Didn't help with Newberry
    wow

Just wow

vCash
    I think the Newberry deal was about living location honestly. These younger coaches and families dont want to be in rural MS when they have a choice.

vCash
    Kind of hoping the Pirate has a back up plan ready when things like this happen. Maybe he's been working on that today. I just think we will all be surprised and happy when the announcement is made. Fingers crossed!

vCash
    If that were all there was to it, Newberry be here.

Again, why, other than money, would he come?
    Not necessarily. It depends on what the candidate values. I can understand Newberry wanting to bring in people he is comfortable with. A good working relationship is important. He may be playing the game like Napier. He probably made a poor financial decision.

As I said- it's a more prestigious league. It's more pay and upward mobility. That can lead to a head coaching job. And Leach has a good history of producing head coaches.

Croom was able to get Ellis Johnson. Joe got Bob Shoop. Dan landed Manny, Geoff, and Grantham despite being a known ass and hard to work for. Why can't we get Bateman?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I think the Newberry deal was about living location honestly. These younger coaches and families dont want to be in rural MS when they have a choice.
    It's certainly not like living in an area with close to 7M, and even larger when Baltimore is added in. If he's used to living in a large city, Starkville would be a culture shock. After googling him, he comes from Kennesaw State (a similar sized metro as Washington), but also coached at Sewanee, definitely a rural area.

He also might be used to coaching highly disciplined players at the Academy and doesn't want to give that up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Not an issue in today's society with millionaire coaches and today's technology. Most head coaches have second homes nowadays.

vCash
    It certainly takes something you really deem valuable to turn down $400k or more of salary

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This. Pruitt had them playing hard and that comeback bowl win showed how far they had come from a team that earlier in the season would've packed it in after being down like that. He appears to have changed the culture of that program. They gave bama a tough game too.
    I agree. A lot of people thought Tennessee was a dumpster fire when they lost to Georgia State to begin the season. Pruitt is a good coach, demands discipline, and got Tennessee on the right path. They had a good recruiting year this year, also. If we had hired Pruitt instead of Moorhead, we would have been better off. Guess things turned out good for us, however, since now we have Leach.