Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

vCash
    Tell Jay Hopson we'll pay him $900k, which would be a raise for him, to become our DC. He's got a better chance at becoming a P5 HC and/or advance his career as DC of a SEC program than as HC at USM. Just a wild thought

vCash
    What happened to the ULL guy? He still a candidate?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    What happened to the ULL guy? He still a candidate?
    Aranda stole Roberts from ULL this morning to come be DC at Baylor. It's been confirmed by Feldman and a few others so he's off the table.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Coordinators rarely pick staff. If they're lucky they may bring 1 guy with them. 2 would be the max & extremely rare. That's goes for offense & defense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal? This is a really important hire. Wonder if we could go and poach one of the best defensive head coaches from the lower ranks and pay him $1,000,000 to take a Title demotion but to get into big time college football and get a raise? I hate to do that, but I don't see many good DC's going to a place where their staff has been picked for them and all have long standing relationships with the head coach where he doesn't. Maybe it's more common than I realize
    Yes, that is normal.

Think about all the DC's we have had come through here over the last 10 years. They weren't all bringing a new staff with them. Sometimes a coordinator will bring a guy or two with them, but rarely are they overhauling their entire staff. Just about any time a new coordinator is hired from outside the program, they are inheriting position coaches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    if this was the reason or something close, then I'm glad we filtered that out before he came.

MSU will always be more successful when we have the full commitment of people that want to be here.

I can't imagine how big Mullen would've won if he & his DC wanted to be here for an extended period of time.
    Good gracious...SD....if u believe this was the reason....I still have some ocean front property for u in...Petal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    I was told Newberry wanted to bring two assistant coaches with him. We may have agreed to 1 but not 2 and that was the deal breaker. I don't normally have that much inside info, but that is what I was told this morning from someone that should know.
    I was concerned about not having a spot for both his guys and was hoping something could be worked out.

I'm good with the D guys Leach has brung with him ... he knows if guys can coach or not and if they can't he'll cut ties with them (from all I've read and researched on him).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Yes, that is normal.

Think about all the DC's we have had come through here over the last 10 years. They weren't all bringing a new staff with them. Sometimes a coordinator will bring a guy or two with them, but rarely are they overhauling their entire staff. Just about any time a new coordinator is hired from outside the program, they are inheriting position coaches.
    Mullen had a revolving door and outside of 1 horrible year and another meh year he had good Ds. Grantham came into a ready made staff himself. I also believe Shoop had zero input to his 2018 staff and maybe 2019 too.

vCash
    So do we have any idea on when we will be hiring a DC? Are we just striking out with everyone or are we trying to work out a deal with someone in particular?

vCash
    So to reset , who are our realistic candidates at this point?

vCash
    I hope we hire a DC that we have to worry about leaving every year. We aren't a destination job for hardly any aspiring coaches
    I wish this weren't the way college football was.

It makes it damn near impossible for a non-traditional blue blood to become one
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    The concerning part to me is that whoever this new guy is, will be expected to accept the hires on the defensive side that Leach has already made (the WSU guys). What good DC will be ok with someone else choosing his staff? Is that normal?
    Yes it's normal. Virtually no DC gets to choose their staff

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TALL DAWG View Post
    Good gracious...SD....if u believe this was the reason....I still have some ocean front property for u in...Petal.
    ? What are you talking about?

vCash
    So, does this open the door for that shoop fella?

vCash
    I would like that myself but I think Leach prefers a clean slate himself. Not sure Shoop wants to be in Vegas either. He was looking to move on even if Joe stayed but that may have been due to lax culture too.

vCash
    Wondered the same thing!

Banned
    vCash
    I thought Shoop had already landed elsewhere. He still in limbo?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    I would like that myself but I think Leach prefers a clean slate himself. Not sure Shoop wants to be in Vegas either. He was looking to move on even if Joe stayed but that may have been due to lax culture too.
    Well we swung and miss on our top guy, so I hope leach reconsiders. Shoop is a good coach

vCash
    Shoop was hired by Michigan as safeties coach. It might be possible to bring him back as DC, but I seriously doubt it, and at this point, just move on and get someone else. There's no real need to bring him back.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Shoop was hired by Michigan as safeties coach. It might be possible to bring him back as DC, but I seriously doubt it, and at this point, just move on and get someone else. There's no real need to bring him back.
    A safeties coach?!!! Damn, 1 year removed from a top D in the country