Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: DC Search Update?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I believe he recruited at least close to the ceiling of where he was relative to the team he was with at the time. If he keeps us at 25 or so and coaches players up he will do fine.

I think he will recruit better than Dan.
    I think you're gonna be right on this.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I believe he recruited at least close to the ceiling of where he was relative to the team he was with at the time. If he keeps us at 25 or so and coaches players up he will do fine.

I think he will recruit better than Dan.
    If Mike Leach recruits in the top 25 he will be Dan Mullen with the exception that he actually beats some top 25 teams he has no business beating.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Hell - I don't care if he is making calls from Captain Tony's. Leach has enough status that he can dial up a recruit and FaceTime them from anywhere and just say, "Steve says you're gonna give me 1100 YAC and 20 TDS in our offense. Youre that good. I'm out at Captain Tony's in Key West and I had to talk to you right now..." and it will be over.

That's how most of recruiting is done by a HC anyway.
    I'm much more worried about what kind of recruiters his assistants are than Leach himself. The HC isnt the guy that normally forms the relationship with the recruits. That is done by the recruiting staff and the assistant coaches. The HC is the closer on in home and on campus recruiting visits. Now Moorhead was the exception to this but very, very few HCs do the day to day recruiting like Moorhead did. I appreciate the extra effort Moorhead put into recruiting from the HC position but 95% of HCs out there aren't going to do that. If we have enough good recruiters on staff we will be fine no matter where Leach wants to spend his off season time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    If Mike Leach recruits in the top 25 he will be Dan Mullen with the exception that he actually beats some top 25 teams he has no business beating.
    Also hoping Leach will find an effective DC that will stay with him for a while. Mullen changed DCs like he changed his underwear while at MSU.

vCash
    Sounds like the negotiations with Newberry are still underway.

vCash
    That was my question. Why haven't we heard anything? Still negotiating?

vCash
    I thought it was all wrapped up yesterday when the 247 guys started tweeting out the articles on him. What’s the hold up? Is it over filling out the staff? Could it be that Leach was wanting to bring the DL coach from WSU but maybe Newberry wants his guy there? I’m holding out hope that the DL coach won’t be the WSU guy. That’s the only question mark I’d have about the hires so far. We need someone with some Southern/SEC ties and connections there. Not high on bringing in Phelps personally.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Yeah. Same. Wondering how negotiations are going and if it had anything to do with bringing his own staff. Funny because we were told the DC was going to be able to pick his staff and that doesn't seem to be the case.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I thought it was all wrapped up yesterday when the 247 guys started tweeting out the articles on him. What’s the hold up? Is it over filling out the staff? Could it be that Leach was wanting to bring the DL coach from WSU but maybe Newberry wants his guy there? I’m holding out hope that the DL coach won’t be the WSU guy. That’s the only question mark I’d have about the hires so far. We need someone with some Southern/SEC ties and connections there. Not high on bringing in Phelps personally.
    I also hope the DL coach from WSU doesn't come. I like Leach and I'm fine with his offensive staff coming, but we didn't up the assistant pay to 4.7 million so the entire WSU staff could just get a pay raise. They did some good things in Pullman, but that defense was pretty atrocious.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Everything is good with Newberry. Likely to be announced Tuesday.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    I also hope the DL coach from WSU doesn't come. I like Leach and I'm fine with his offensive staff coming, but we didn't up the assistant pay to 4.7 million so the entire WSU staff could just get a pay raise. They did some good things in Pullman, but that defense was pretty atrocious.
    Which is why the dc did not get retained. Leach obviously thinks that the position coaches can recruit when they have an actual product to sell.

vCash
    Source?

vCash
    I’m not sure why having “southern ties” is such an important aspect, particularly when it is your defensive line coach. Your defensive line and offensive line are developmental positions. You need guys who can actually coach those positions in those spots. Whether they have southern ties or ties to Russia, if they can coach, it shouldn’t matter. Jeff Phelps is a dang good defensive line coach. I caught flack for saying this elsewhere, but Deke Adams had ties to Mississippi and was very meh as a defensive line coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    How you feeling on the staff? I like the Newberry hire? Not sure who all is going to join him on D side tho.

vCash
    Pats self back

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    How you feeling on the staff? I like the Newberry hire? Not sure who all is going to join him on D side tho.
    It's quite a few unknowns recruiting wise. We can't say they can't recruit but we're not sure if they can. I like them as actual teachers & X & O guys.

vCash
    Pats self back
    My bad did I step on your toes or did you already say that?

vCash
    It's quite a few unknowns recruiting wise. We can't say they can't recruit but we're not sure if they can. I like them as actual teachers & X & O guys.
    I have no clue on recruiting and I know Mullen/Hev may could be asses but one thing I liked about them is they didn't cater to primadonnas and let the WRs know they gonna have to block. OM will cater to 4 and 5* recruits IMO.

I kinda see Leach like Mullen in that regard. He's not gonna blow smoke up any recruit's butt. But Leach also has a National rep to go along with that too.

vCash
    Leach is more concerned with people who will get his players to perform and execute plays to the best of their abilities.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheLostDawg View Post
    Yeah. Same. Wondering how negotiations are going and if it had anything to do with bringing his own staff. Funny because we were told the DC was going to be able to pick his staff and that doesn't seem to be the case.
    They might be needing more money.