Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WR - This Group will be expected to have 350+ receptions next year

vCash

WR - This Group will be expected to have 350+ receptions next year

Based on Leaches other stops, I think its reasonable to expect WRs to catch ~350 passes and the the RBs to pick up the rest. How do you see those distributed amongst this group. Roster (less seniors) + 2 Signees. No TEs

I throw this out there because it seems both impossible and inevitable. Every one of these guys is going to have a career high.

Mitchel leads the returning players with 29 catches last year.

JaVonta Payton
    Osirus Mitchell
    Kyziah Pruitt
    Cameron Gardner
    Lee Tanner
    Tristan Pisacane
    Cason Grant
    Quinton Torbor
    Austin Williams
    Jordon Hoyer
    Malik Heath
    Caleb Ducking
    Last edited by YoungB; 01-16-2020 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Because so many WR screens in Leach's offense, my guess is that Tulu Griffin also gets touches due to his speed.

Seems like Heath & Torbor also have some burst
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungB View Post
    Based on Leaches other stops, I think its reasonable to expect WRs to catch ~350 passes and the the RBs to pick up the rest. How do you see those distributed amongst this group. Roster (less seniors) + 2 Signees. No TEs

I throw this out there because it seems both impossible and inevitable. Every one of these guys is going to have a career high.

JaVonta Payton
    Osirus Mitchell
    Kyziah Pruitt
    Cameron Gardner
    Lee Tanner
    Tristan Pisacane
    Cason Grant
    Quinton Torbor
    Austin Williams
    Jordon Hoyer
    Malik Heath
    Caleb Ducking
    I think Mitchell is going to have a huge year compared to his past years. Might still disappear against good SEC defenses, but he got a lotter better last year to this year and I expect him to make a pretty big jump this year.

Heath's JUCO stats are discouraging. Not sure if that's the offense they ran or lack of qb, but people still wanted him, so I am guessing Leach will get some use out of him.

I think you will see a massive jump for Austin Williams. I think that the quasi-pick routes will benefit him a lot. May not have a ton of yards but I am expecting him to get a lot of receptions.

AFter that, who knows. Caleb Ducking coming from a triple option offense and getting coaching from leach might be a pleasant surprise? Don't see a lot of reasons to be optimistic with that group but I am hopeful that they will be pretty productive at least in non-conference and against the weaker SEC defenses.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Biggest increase I see based on known quantities:
    1. Austin Williams
    2. JaVonta Payton
    3. Osirius the Virus

All three should see an increase on targets and I for one is ready to see JaVonta take a huge step forward like Julian Edelman. I feel like he is a guy that could just figure out how to get open in this run your route but run to the open grass areas type of offensive attack.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord McBuckethead View Post
    3. Osirius the Damn Virus
    FIFY*

vCash

JaVonta Payton
    Osirus Mitchell
    Kyziah Pruitt
    Cameron Gardner
    Lee Tanner
    Tristan Pisacane
    Cason Grant
    Quinton Torbor
    Austin Williams
    Jordon Hoyer
    Malik Heath
    Caleb Ducking
    I think it's safe to expect Payton, Mitchell, and Williams to eat up a ton of those receptions. Where will the rest come from? Sheesh, that's a long list of unproven guys. Gardner should step up I guess.

vCash
    I think Payton leads us in catches. He should have played a lot more than he did. He's said to have an excellent work ethic, disciplined kid. Coach's kid. Pretty darn athletic, quick & fast enough to be effective. I think because how simplified this offense is, he will thrive in it. I think he winds up leading in catches with Austin Williams not far behind.
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I think Payton leads us in catches. He should have played a lot more than he did. He's said to have an excellent work ethic, disciplined kid. Coach's kid. Pretty darn athletic, quick & fast enough to be effective. I think because how simplified this offense is, he will thrive in it. I think he winds up leading in catches with Austin Williams not far behind.
    Payton was outstanding on special teams. That's the sign of a hustler...someone that wants to win.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Payton was outstanding on special teams. That's the sign of a hustler...someone that wants to win.
    Bingo. When there's a kid that's talented enough to be playing more on offense but the coach won't put him out there & he's stuck on special teams like he was and he kept being an excellent gunner on special teams making tackles, then that's a TEAM player and a hard nosed kid with the right attitude. He made a solid impact on ST(minus his 2 or so fumbles on KO return) more so than anyone else in a year where ST was disastrous.

I would bet on him working his ass off this offseason and getting ready to thrive in this offense that chunks it up 50 times per game. I think he has a very good year next season.

vCash
    Based on Leaches other stops, I think its reasonable to expect WRs to catch ~350 passes and the the RBs to pick up the rest.
    It might take 600 accurate passes to get 350 receptions, but we can do it.**

vCash
    It's funny to see how down we are on that group, considering from day 1 it's probably going to be the most talented WR group Leach has ever had

vCash
    It may be. Year 1 under a system may be difficult to get the most out of guys, but I do believe they will be ready to go.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    The spring game will tell us a bunch about how much work we have to do. Generally the defense during spring is ahead of the offense, but I believe it may be the other way around this year.
    Downvotes_Hype

vCash
    It may be. Year 1 under a system may be difficult to get the most out of guys, but I do believe they will be ready to go.
    On the other hand, Leach says it takes about a week to install his system, two weeks for the slower learners. It's the simplest offense out there.

vCash
    The spring game will tell us a bunch about how much work we have to do. Generally the defense during spring is ahead of the offense, but I believe it may be the other way around this year.
    What's going to be funny is when/if that last part is correct & some, instead of raving about the offense and how it looks, will take that opportunity to back up the narrative that "Mike Leach teams don't play defense" and it will be turned into negative BS about how we're screwed on defense lol. I guaran-damn-tee you some of our fans do that. It'll turn into "Oh shit we are SCREWED on defense, why in the actual hell are we not doing this or that, we're gonna give up 50 PPG, etc.".

vCash

JaVonta Payton
    Osirus Mitchell
    Kyziah Pruitt
    Cameron Gardner
    Lee Tanner
    Tristan Pisacane
    Cason Grant
    Quinton Torbor
    Austin Williams
    Jordon Hoyer
    Malik Heath
    Caleb Ducking
    To aid this discussion, I think you should divide this group into inside and outside wide receivers.

What characteristics does Leach look for in both? Is the inside wide receiver more in the mold of a possession receiver like Cris Carter/Keyshawn Johnson or a dynamic slot receiver like Welker/Amendola/Cobb.

I bet Leach has a pretty specific list of characteristics for each position. I would be curious what it is, similar to how he articulated specific qb characteristics.

I am thinking on the inside hands, body control and smarts while on the outside speed and route running are emphasized. Those are total guesses. Thoughts?

vCash
    ML also said if his players are more run oriented then he would run the ball .... With Hill coming back I don't think we will see this air raid thing that he's known for happening to the extent that it was at TT or WSU ..... maybe the year after - but next year with the pieces we have I would think the pass / run ratio is going to be less than expected .... and I'm ok with that so I'm guessing Schrader
    OXFORD, Miss. (WTVA) - Ole Miss campus police ask students to behave at future baseball games following a recent incident.
    The university said students were reportedly throwing rocks at Georgia baseball players during last weekend's series.

vCash
    I think Leach is going to love Austin Williams.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    What's going to be funny is when/if that last part is correct & some, instead of raving about the offense and how it looks, will take that opportunity to back up the narrative that "Mike Leach teams don't play defense" and it will be turned into negative BS about how we're screwed on defense lol. I guaran-damn-tee you some of our fans do that. It'll turn into "Oh shit we are SCREWED on defense, why in the actual hell are we not doing this or that, we're gonna give up 50 PPG, etc.".
    Hah true statement. O does good it will be D gonna be bad; O doesn't produce and Leach don't have any players or this O wont work in SEC. Get ready it is coming.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    I think Leach is going to love Austin Williams.
    Agreed