Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Leach has a history of bad defenses. Should we be worried no DC by now?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    Leach ran 6 offensive snaps per game more than we did. It ranked 39th in the country. It's not that big a deal.
    It only matters if he's flinging 3 & outs constantly putting the D in danger. I'm trusting he knows bettern that.

vCash
    Leach hasn't had this kind of money to get a DC before

vCash
    Gonna be a long Fall for some of you guys. Ya'll expecting a car from Santa and he is bringing you a watch
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    I'm watching 2008 TT vs #1 Texas. His D that year was all over Texas in 1st half. TOP was probably something like 20 to 10 or maybe worse in 1st half. Texas comes back tho and makes it close.

DC hire gonna be interesting and how we play will be too. His teams hit you, but they do seem to give up some explosive plays here and there. But they hit and tackle well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Gonna be a long Fall for some of you guys. Ya'll expecting a car from Santa and he is bringing you a watch
    I don't expect that great next year. I figure it will be about 3rd or 4th year before we really know what's up on the D side of ball.

vCash
    We will 100% be better in 2021 than in 2020. 2020 gonna be a fight for 6

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    I will bet you whatever you want to bet right now that state wins a minimum of 6 games next year. I'm not expecting a car. I'm expecting a competent head coach to win games he should win against shitty teams with a really easy schedule. I'm tired of the yearly myth that the sec has a bunch of great defenses. There are a couple in each division. After that it's the same as any other conference.
    Last edited by Jarius; 01-15-2020 at 09:24 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Man I?m with you 100%. This is what scares me the most about Leach. However, the SEC stopped playing defense a few years ago. I was bitching about it then, but now I?m glad. This is a conference not much different than the Big 12. Gotta outscore everybody.
    False. Auburn, UGA, UF, UT and UK all disagree with you. State won 8 games a year ago on defense alone. Just bc Bama has a down year on defense doesnt mean everybody says the hell with defense. By the end of the year LSU had it figured out on D as well.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    False. Auburn, UGA, UF, UT and UK all disagree with you. State won 8 games a year ago on defense alone. Just bc Bama has a down year on defense doesnt mean everybody says the hell with defense. By the end of the year LSU had it figured out on D as well.
    Kentucky is not great on defense. Neither is Tennessee. They played in a horrible division. Neither of those teams would scare a single Mike leach coached offense in the history of his career. Joe Moorhead beat Kentucky with a true freshman quarterback.

vCash
    Oh no! Whatever will he do against juggernaut Missouri and A&M (who He played in the big 12)!?Whatever will he do against powerhouse Arkansas and Ole Miss that are so much tougher than his pac 12 and big 12 foes?! How is he going to scheme up against Alabama A&M and NC State?!?! He's not going to know what to do against powerhouse perennial 7-5 Kentucky!!!! The horror!!! Tulane is going to be so tough!!!! New Mexico has it rolling on defense!

The majority of defenses on his schedule here are no better than what he faced everywhere else. The 2 or 3 that are tough are going to just be tough no matter who we hire. We need someone who can beat the average sec defenses. He is well capable of that.
    Throw in the fact that nobody is playing strictly 2 high cover 5 like 34 is hinting at tells me we will be at least ok. Bama has a proven weakness they have always been weaker against the pass than the run. Ever since Saban got there nobody has beaten them without a passing game.

If Leach gets cover 5 on a consistent basis I promise you he will know how to beat it. He will mesh it and pick route it to death. If you're gonna play straight man your players better be damn well coached and pretty smart to handle all the motion adjustments and checks.

Most people are pattern matching nowadays more than it is straight man

vCash
    Before Uk moved a WR to QB and flourished.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    Before Uk moved a WR to QB and flourished.
    Well we scored 28 points on them. Just like everyone else with a pulse did. That has nothing to do with their quarterback. Kentucky's defense against good teams isn't any better than any other defense Leach has faced. It's middle of the pack in the pac 12 or big 12. Their ranking is inflated because they play about 7 shitty offenses a year. Same with Tennessee.

vCash
    I will bet you whatever you want to bet right now that state wins a minimum of 6 games next year. I'm not expecting a car. I'm expecting a competent head coach to win games he should win against shitty teams with a really easy schedule. I'm tired of the yearly myth that the sec has a bunch of great defenses. There are a couple in each division. After that it's the same as any other conference.
    Good point. Six wins isn't as tough as it used to be. If we had beaten Tennessee and Kansas State, we would have been 8-4 this year under Moorhead. If leach can win the 4 non-conference, Ole Miss, Arkansas, and two from the east, we have 8 wins. Even if Bama, LSU, Auburn, and Texas A&M each beat us 80-7.

If Ole Miss had beaten MSU, Cal, and Memphis, they would have won 7.

I'm not saying Leach will win 7 or 8, or even 6 for that matter. But 6 or 7 is certainly doable.

vCash
    Oh no! Whatever will he do against juggernaut Missouri and A&M (who He played in the big 12)!?Whatever will he do against powerhouse Arkansas and Ole Miss that are so much tougher than his pac 12 and big 12 foes?! How is he going to scheme up against Alabama A&M and NC State?!?! He's not going to know what to do against powerhouse perennial 7-5 Kentucky!!!! The horror!!! Tulane is going to be so tough!!!! New Mexico has it rolling on defense!

The majority of defenses on his schedule here are no better than what he faced everywhere else. The 2 or 3 that are tough are going to just be tough no matter who we hire. We need someone who can beat the average sec defenses. He is well capable of that.
    FACTS!!!! Damn I loved reading this!!
    #SwingUrSword #HailDamnState

vCash
    We will 100% be better in 2021 than in 2020. 2020 gonna be a fight for 6
    When Leach was hired the NC State game became a win. They were 4-8 this year. Mizzou at home is a W. UK will be good next year but it is at home. OM is OM. It will be close probably unless Lane throws himself out of the game. Arkansas should be a W. Auburn and A&M at home you have a shot. Nobody fears A&M. Auburn doesnt have a great track record in Starkville lately, I think 1 win in their last 3 or 4 trips. We could win 7 and not be that good

vCash
    Kentucky is not great on defense. Neither is Tennessee. They played in a horrible division. Neither of those teams would scare a single Mike leach coached offense in the history of his career. Joe Moorhead beat Kentucky with a true freshman quarterback.
    They both would tell you they win with defense more than they did with offense though. That was my point

vCash
    When Leach was hired the NC State game became a win. They were 4-8 this year. Mizzou at home is a W. UK will be good next year but it is at home. OM is OM. It will be close probably unless Lane throws himself out of the game. Arkansas should be a W. Auburn and A&M at home you have a shot. Nobody fears A&M. Auburn doesnt have a great track record in Starkville lately, I think 1 win in their last 3 or 4 trips. We could win 7 and not be that good
    Will be a fight for 6.

Leach will learn he is going to have to close the line splits down in the South. If not- he will we will get a heavy dose of inside blitz with DB's taking away the quick slants and such. I'm looking forward to the adjustments and chess matches this Fall

vCash
    Hahaha! Bama and LSU lead the way for the SEC. They’ve given up on defense so the rest will follow. This conference isn’t any like it used to be. It’s weak now. Last year the SEC was pathetic. Georgia got whipped in their bowl. Bama got that ass beat. LSU squeaked a win over UCF (Hahahaha). We got beat by Iowa.

Those teams you mentioned..... How did they do against the teams that quit playing defense??? They sucked. That’s how they did.

vCash
    Will be a fight for 6.

Leach will learn he is going to have to close the line splits down in the South. If not- he will we will get a heavy dose of inside blitz with DB's taking away the quick slants and such. I'm looking forward to the adjustments and chess matches this Fall
    I changed from 4-8 to 7-5 now. I think he swings it that much.

vCash
    That watch gonna tell us what time that cars coming though *