Thread: Clemson D and the SECW

vCash

Clemson D and the SECW

Looked up some stats to throw in here but they're a little skewed with Clemson playing in more games than other teams but going into the playoffs Clemson had the #1 defense in the nation giving up just over 10 points a game and surrendering only about 140 pass yards vs about 100 rushing yards a game.

Going in I didn't think Clemson would be able to hang with OSU. They proved me wrong but on the flip side their "vaunted" defense gave up 516 yards. Last night they gave up 628 yards to LSU. OSU was the first real competition they've faced all year long. Yea they've had close games at the beginning of the year but talent wise no one else in their conference are even close.

In the last decade 3 of the national champions play in the SECW not just the SEC but the SECW. Vegas odds has 5 of the top 7 teams favored to win the CFP next year in the SEC with 3 of them residing in the West.

I'm not typing all this to say that Clemson's defense isn't good but that I have suspicions that they aren't the "best" good. I don't believe Clemson has those defensive numbers playing in the SEC let alone the SECW. What LSU has done this year is amazing, but what Mississippi State did the 2018 year on defense is almost too hard to believe. I don't think Clemson had close to as good of a defense as we had and keep in mind we did this with an offense that had trouble staying on the field.

Clemson will be in contention next year assuredly but a big thanks to that is due to their weak conference. Their numbers stats wise should also be taken with a grain of salt.

vCash
    The lack of offense in the ACC gives Clemson the chance to play pretty vanilla all season & get by. Then they get in the playoff & throw stuff at the other team that isn't on film.

Clemson is just in the perfect conference & location to be a consistent national championship contender. They'll be back next year. Not sure how they won't
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I don't think anyone saw that and thought the #1 ranking meant there was no doubt Clemson's D was the best in the country.

It is very good, and I thought did as good a job as possible of limiting LSU at times last night. Was it the best in the country? There's no way to know that. But LSU lit everybody up this year, and Clemson actually did a good job of limiting Ohio State when nobody else could.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I don't think anyone saw that and thought the #1 ranking meant there was no doubt Clemson's D was the best in the country.

It is very good, and I thought did as good a job as possible of limiting LSU at times last night. Was it the best in the country? There's no way to know that. But LSU lit everybody up this year, and Clemson actually did a good job of limiting Ohio State when nobody else could.
    1st quarter alone what I saw was LSU limiting LSU. Burrow completes a 50 yd pass to Moss but is called back because a lineman wandered a little too far. Chase drops two sure first downs with one of them being a crucial third down conversion. Those were three drives within the first 10 minutes that LSU stopped themselves. I think you may be giving Clemson a little too much credit. They did about as well as you could have done vs OSU given how OSU had completely dominated a much better schedule than Clemson but my point was that when Clemson actually faced competition their defensive statistics were out the window.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    1st quarter alone what I saw was LSU limiting LSU. Burrow completes a 50 yd pass to Moss but is called back because a lineman wandered a little too far. Chase drops two sure first downs with one of them being a crucial third down conversion. Those were three drives within the first 10 minutes that LSU stopped themselves. I think you may be giving Clemson a little too much credit. They did about as well as you could have done vs OSU given how OSU had completely dominated a much better schedule than Clemson but my point was that when Clemson actually faced competition their defensive statistics were out the window.
    I disagree.

Clemson did what it had to do to slow LSU down. They used a defense alignment not used all year to have more athletes on the field and bring unpredictable pressure. The sacked Burrow 5 times. Unfortunately for them, LSU was able to adjust. Mostly by going empty set. But that Burrow is so accurate helped as well.

But late in the each half, the Clemson defense was gassed. That's when LSU pulled away.

Clemson lost due to Lawrence having a horrible game passing. Last year he was very accurate and made all the plays. Tonight he was not a good passer. If he played like he did last year, its a closer game.

It also helped that the LB that was causing the most trouble got ejected for Targeting (it was the right call, he did)

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    They used a defense alignment not used all year to have more athletes on the field and bring unpredictable pressure.
    To be fair - they copied AU's game plan. AU rushed 3, had 1 LB and played 7 DB's. They were able to slow LSU down because they could get pressure with 3 - Clemson couldn't consistently.

Also at the end of the day, with those WR's and a QB playing at that level, i'm not sure what a defense can do.

vCash
    To be fair, Lawrence couldn't throw the ball to a certain Freshman DB's side all night. It really limited their passing game.

vCash
    LSU had the better D last night by far which is interesting considering some were comparing the two before the game and saying the offenses were close with LSU given the slight edge but Clemson having the better defense and it not being close.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt3467 View Post
    LSU had the better D last night by far which is interesting considering some were comparing the two before the game and saying the offenses were close with LSU given the slight edge but Clemson having the better defense and it not being close.
    Clemson D is really good, but the LSU offense is light years ahead of everyone else in college football. LSU's defense should thank god they never had to face the LSU offense in a game that mattered. I came away from that game last night thinking Clemson really made Burrow look uncomfortable for the first time all season, it just lasted 1.5 quarters max.

I watch that game and still think Clemson is the second best team in the country. Lawrence can play better than that. If that safety makes that pick and houses it in the 3rd quarter that game gets really interesting.

vCash
    Sometimes the offense is just better no matter how good your D is.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    To be fair, Lawrence couldn't throw the ball to a certain Freshman DB's side all night. It really limited their passing game.
    That certainly helped but Stickley did not make him throw high 13 times. He was 18-37 with 13 throws nowhere close to his target. Some were rushed, but he was missing wide open guys with no pressure.

Not that I think it would have mattered. LSU backed off in the 4th. They could have kept it going.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    To be fair - they copied AU's game plan. AU rushed 3, had 1 LB and played 7 DB's. They were able to slow LSU down because they could get pressure with 3 - Clemson couldn't consistently.

Also at the end of the day, with those WR's and a QB playing at that level, i'm not sure what a defense can do.
    I saw Clemson blitz a lot to get pressure on Joe. I didn't see a lot of 3 man pressure?