Thread: So is LSU's offense similar to what we can expect from Leach next year?

vCash

So is LSU's offense similar to what we can expect from Leach next year?

I know that a lot of Leach's Air Raid concepts are ran by New England and New Orleans (where Joe Brady brought a lot of their plays from). Watching that LSU game, they were in 4 wide with a RB in shotgun pretty much the entire game. Just looking back at the RB carries, it looks like it went from 380 carries for the top 2 RBs to 330 this year with an additional 2 games (SEC Championship and National Title game).

Is this the type of offense (I don't expect to have a QB that has the best year ever in college football to go along with 5 star WRs) we can expect next year? I am referring to the type of plays ran, not necessarily the offensive production.

vCash
    I don't think so.

LSU's offense was very vertical. They didn't really use the passing the game as an extension of the running game.

However, running the vertical LSU offense requires elite WR play.

Leach's offense will focus on more passes within 10 yards of the LOS & getting the ball out quickly.

Now, will attack more & be less reactive like we were in Joe's offense, but we'll be more horizontal in the passing game compared to LSU's vertical
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I know that a lot of Leach's Air Raid concepts are ran by New England and New Orleans (where Joe Brady brought a lot of their plays from). Watching that LSU game, they were in 4 wide with a RB in shotgun pretty much the entire game. Just looking back at the RB carries, it looks like it went from 380 carries for the top 2 RBs to 330 this year with an additional 2 games (SEC Championship and National Title game).

Is this the type of offense (I don't expect to have a QB that has the best year ever in college football to go along with 5 star WRs) we can expect next year? I am referring to the type of plays ran, not necessarily the offensive production.
    LSU probably goes deep more than Leach will. Most of the throws in Leach's offense are within about 25-30 yards of the LOS, with a bunch of short throws.

vCash
    I finally watched like the WSU vs Auburn game from 2013 @ Auburn when WSU played the fool outta them & then watched the WSU vs Oregon game from 2018 with Minshew playing to see what the offense looked like against some comparable teams to SEC level since Oregon played Auburn like a fool this year.

Leach's offense is almost like "death by 1,000 paper cuts". So many screens, crossing routes, mesh routes, slants, etc. just getting 5+ yards every time with high % throws. They'd take the occasional deep shot after lulling the defense down with several shorter passes but it's extremely horizontal the way they stretch you out and make you defend the entire width of the field. And if Kylin comes back, he could be salivating at that. Spread 'em and shred 'em with some Kylin runs between the tackles and then swing him out wide with some swing passes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    I finally watched like the WSU vs Auburn game from 2013 @ Auburn when WSU played the fool outta them & then watched the WSU vs Oregon game from 2018 with Minshew playing to see what the offense looked like against some comparable teams to SEC level since Oregon played Auburn like a fool this year.

Leach's offense is almost like "death by 1,000 paper cuts". So many screens, crossing routes, mesh routes, slants, etc. just getting 5+ yards every time with high % throws. They'd take the occasional deep shot after lulling the defense down with several shorter passes but it's extremely horizontal the way they stretch you out and make you defend the entire width of the field. And if Kylin comes back, he could be salivating at that. Spread 'em and shred 'em with some Kylin runs between the tackles and then swing him out wide with some swing passes.
    What?

Both those teams lost.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    What?

Both those teams lost.
    Was WSU supposed to beat Auburn in 2013? The year Auburn went 12-2 and played for the National Championship? And I chose the Oregon game in 2018 because Oregon is comparable to a like an Auburn in the SEC and because Leach had a QB like Minshew going against them. I'm confused as to why it mattered that they lost the Auburn game in 2013 when they were expected to lose probably easily by double digits with far less talent and only lost by 7 points.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I don't think so.

LSU's offense was very vertical. They didn't really use the passing the game as an extension of the running game.

However, running the vertical LSU offense requires elite WR play.

Leach's offense will focus on more passes within 10 yards of the LOS & getting the ball out quickly.

Now, will attack more & be less reactive like we were in Joe's offense, but we'll be more horizontal in the passing game compared to LSU's vertical
    Leach's favorite play is 4 verticals. The whole offense is built off that. Every play except screens that he is based off of, the outside vertical is the 1st read. So he will throw deep. Like LSU there will be a ton of passes to the RB's and quick slants and crossing patterns.

That said, LSU runs a bunch of RPO stuff. Leach won't run RPO's unless he starts doing something he never has.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    The splits are different, the run concepts are different. LSU threw more back shoulder throws than Leach likes.

LSU really relied on a supremely talented player out talenting a CB. Leach's offense is more based on our WR's understanding how to get open and using multiple WR's to create decisions for S and CB that allow for mistakes and therefore, big plays.

He doesn't run an RPO. The OL splits would be a big problem if we tried to run RPO off this set.

Guys - I highly recommend you go look at WSU stats the last few years. It will really let you know that we are getting a heavy pass first offense. He is not going to change what he does, and with his success - why should he.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    The splits are different, the run concepts are different. LSU threw more back shoulder throws than Leach likes.

LSU really relied on a supremely talented player out talenting a CB. Leach's offense is more based on our WR's understanding how to get open and using multiple WR's to create decisions for S and CB that allow for mistakes and therefore, big plays.

He doesn't run an RPO. The OL splits would be a big problem if we tried to run RPO off this set.

Guys - I highly recommend you go look at WSU stats the last few years. It will really let you know that we are getting a heavy pass first offense. He is not going to change what he does, and with his success - why should he.
    True, but with his uptick on talent at State I kinda see Leach really getting into the mad scientist side and mixing and matching. With Kylin Hill returning we might see some different run schemes to take advantage of his athleticism. Leach will probably put a wrinkle or two into his offense to fit what he has right now. It's going to be interesting to see this develop.

vCash
    I know at TTU at least he ran some 2 back sets and narrowed the OL splits near the goalline.

I suspect he'll adapt his O here from 4 wide to more 2 back sets. We can send each of them into the flat to widen the LBs and still run Shrader up the gut.

We won't run it as much as we should, but I think we run it more than he usually does

vCash
    Clemson in the first quarter was more similar to Leach, they ran screens and kept throwing to their RB in the flat. It worked until LSU had a guy spy their RB the rest of the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HailStateSZN19 View Post
    Was WSU supposed to beat Auburn in 2013? The year Auburn went 12-2 and played for the National Championship? And I chose the Oregon game in 2018 because Oregon is comparable to a like an Auburn in the SEC and because Leach had a QB like Minshew going against them. I'm confused as to why it mattered that they lost the Auburn game in 2013 when they were expected to lose probably easily by double digits with far less talent and only lost by 7 points.
    It doesn't really matter. I was just confused by the phrase 'played the fool outta them' and 'played them like a fool' when both those teams lost the game. Didn't seem to fit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post

Also, he used to, not sure if he still does, (been awhile since I was at a clinic he spoke at,) teach his outside WR's to "stack" the DB.

That means if he gets a step on the DB, if on the DB's outside or inside , to adjust to put the DB directly behind him. They stole that from the U back in their glory days because of the success the U had in deep ball percentage.

With the popularity of the back shoulder, he may have adjusted back to his old way.

On true fades, they used to throw to a spot 25 yds down the sideline and let the WR "roll his head' and adjust to the ball over his outside shoulder and the "V" of his neck
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    True, but with his uptick on talent at State I kinda see Leach really getting into the mad scientist side and mixing and matching. With Kylin Hill returning we might see some different run schemes to take advantage of his athleticism. Leach will probably put a wrinkle or two into his offense to fit what he has right now. It's going to be interesting to see this develop.
    Is this officially happening?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StateDawg44 View Post
    Is this officially happening?
    I kinda thought he was. It's not official?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So is LSU's offense similar to what we can expect from Leach next year?
    No, our offense will be more effective and productive! But for real, I think there are quite a few differences.