Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Basketball

vCash

Basketball

What are we looking like for basketball this year? I lost touch of it last year. Does Ray have them really improving this year? Think he is the guy?

http://www.miamiherald.com/2013/11/0...provement.html

vCash
    Final four or bust... Really a winning record and hopefully an nit birth are reasonable goals

vCash
    No, no improvement. I look for them to be the exact same and not a bit bigger or stronger either.
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    We have 0 great players. We have 6 good players. And then the talent drops off the table. We also have no depth in the front court. It's going to be another ugly year, but I expect we will play hard and win a couple of games we shouldn't.

Ray hasn't gotten the job done with his first 2 recruiting classes. His 3rd one looks better. Is he the guy will only be answered by his ability to land talent.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We have 0 great players. We have 6 good players. And then the talent drops off the table. We also have no depth in the front court. It's going to be another ugly year, but I expect we will play hard and win a couple of games we shouldn't.

Ray hasn't gotten the job done with his first 2 recruiting classes. His 3rd one looks better. Is he the guy will only be answered by his ability to land talent.
    Front court depth is going to kill us.
    IJ is really good. I think he will be great by the time he leaves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Final four or bust... Really a winning record and hopefully an nit birth are reasonable goals
    The NIT is not a reasonable goal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    The NIT is not a reasonable goal.
    Notice winning record and "hopefully" nit birth.

vCash
    Well this still answers the question. We will not be good.
    Sucks, basketball was the one sport we use to always be decent at least.
    Now its the worst of the 3.
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Notice winning record and "hopefully" nit birth.

vCash
    Yep, sucks when we do our own self imposed crooming.

vCash

Who is the 6th? We have a good starting 5 of IJ Ready, Fred Thomas, Chicken Sword, Colin Bortchert, and Gavin Ware.

Not sure who else we have you would consider a "GOOD" player. We have role guys like Roquez Johnson, Bloodman, etc...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogsmsu View Post
    Well this still answers the question. We will not be good.
    Sucks, basketball was the one sport we use to always be decent at least.
    Now its the worst of the 3.
    Sad but true, and the bad thing is beyond Kentucky and Florida the SEC is as bad from 3 to bottom as its ever been and we are at the bottom of the list.

Ray has to really land some Marquee recruits or he will have a short stay in Starkville.

I really believe his job and future depends on Malik Newman.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 601Dawg View Post
    Sad but true, and the bad thing is beyond Kentucky and Florida the SEC is as bad from 3 to bottom as its ever been and we are at the bottom of the list.

Ray has to really land some Marquee recruits or he will have a short stay in Starkville.

Or elijah staley going basketball only in college...

vCash
    If it's depending on Malik, get the list of names ready for both a new basketball head coach and a new athletic director. This time I say we give Joe Dean, Jr. a call. I think he would be great as AD.

vCash

Ray's job in no way, shape, or form depends on Newman- who we are not going to get.

Ray's job is going to depend on what he recruits to help Ware in the post for his Jr and Sr years. Because if he can bring in some help there to go with what we already have in Ready, Sword, and FTF- we can be a team that has a chance to make the NCAA Tourney. He makes an NCAA Tourney- he has some job security.

Banned
    vCash
    NIT bound.

vCash
    The problem is this. Our league is terrible. I can see this as a three bid league for the foreseeable future. Let's say that over the next five years he wins between 16-20 games but never makes the tournament only the NIT. Heck, let's say he makes the tournament every five years but doesn't win a tourney game.

What really did we accomplish? I thought our whole point to everything was not just making the tournament but going to the Sweet 16?

When we blew up our program, we really screwed ourself. Especially with how down the SEC is. I just don't get it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully01 View Post
    What really did we accomplish? I thought our whole point to everything was not just making the tournament but going to the Sweet 16?

When we blew up our program, we really screwed ourself. Especially with how down the SEC is. I just don't get it.
    Stands was not fired because he didnt make it to a Sweet 16- Stands was fired because the basketball program had become an embarrassing dumpster fire.

We're going to win 15-17 games this year. Next year we will win 20 or more. It's called "rebuilding", which is what we had to do with the way Stands let the program implode.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Stands was not fired because he didnt make it to a Sweet 16- Stands was fired because the basketball program had become an embarrassing dumpster fire.
    Very true...if Stansbury had just kept making the tourney he would have been allowed to stay until retirement. You can embarrass the school and win, but you can't miss the tourney and embarrass the school.

vCash
    Who is the 6th? We have a good starting 5 of IJ Ready, Fred Thomas, Chicken Sword, Colin Bortchert, and Gavin Ware.

Not sure who else we have you would consider a "GOOD" player. We have role guys like Roquez Johnson, Bloodman, etc...
    Roq Johnson is decent.

vCash
    Roq Johnson is decent.
    I agree, I think he figured out who he is at the end of last year, and he was still only a sophomore. I think he'll be a big contributor this year (that may be obvious due to our numbers, but I think he'll actually be pretty good).

It'll be an interesting year. I think we may take some lumps at the beginning of the year, and there may be people who say, 'We're no better than last year' as our young guys continue to learn and we depend on a true freshman PG. But by the end of the year, we could be a team that can actually compete with most of the conference.