Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Leach will be a disaster...

vCash
    Damn ... reading this thread I'm half for/half against Leach. I may have to go YouTube all his previous games and try to figure it out **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    If you are talking about Spurrier, remember that coach led his #1 team in the nation to Starkville. When it was 3rd and 57, his QB ran out the back of the endzone in surrender.
    Hahahahaha. Spurrier was so frustrated in that moment. "F it, take a safety". Which if I recall correctly.... was a horrible decision given the score and time left. He lost his sh**. It was glorious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    We just fired a guy for doing better than that with a QBs that couldn't throw the ball consistently.
    Different era bub.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach34 View Post
    Kentucky went 5-6 and 7-5 with Leach as OC and an NFL QB
    Akili King and Ryan Leaf were "NFL" QB's. Couch was a bust in the NFL
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Washington was 0-12 the year before Sark took over. The were literally the worst team in the P5 and one of the worst in D1. USC was at the depth of the destruction left by the NCAA and Kiffen.
    Washington St was just as bad when Leach took over, and had less money and was harder to recruit to. In Leach's first year at Wazzou, he beat Sark, who was in his forth year at Washington.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Washington St was just as bad when Leach took over, and had less money and was harder to recruit to. In Leach's first year at Wazzou, he beat Sark, who was in his forth year at Washington.
    Damn Spidey .. you making some damn good points here too. You know Leach pretty well seems like.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Damn Spidey .. you making some damn good points here too. You know Leach pretty well seems like.
    Met him in '03 at a coaching clinic. In those days, outside of football geeks, he was not real known. He was interesting as hell and changed a lot of my thinking about football. Mainly the old "you can't do this or can't do that" mentality is horse shit.

He saw football as so simple. In his words "hell it ain't rocket science, but some coaches try to make it that hard". His simplicity was genius, to me. He took up all the time I wanted with me.

So I watched his teams play all I could and read everything I could on him. A couple of years later, we had a talented QB and I was able to convince our HC to put in more and more of Leach's stuff. Too his credit he saw the possibilities of what they did. I called and asked for drill and practice tapes for my QBs and WR's from Leach. They sent whatever I needed.

We lead the State in total offense 3 straight years.

We had a a WR who was 6 feet and maybe 150 who ran MAYBE a 4.9 40 who set the state record, at that time, for receiving TD's in a season, public or private school.

It made a believer out of me.

He's a different dude, but I think that is what has made him successful in places like he's been.

Should State hire him? I don't know, but I know it will take a different type dude to win here. Not an in the box thinker.

vCash
    Leach knows people say he can't win in the SEC. If he wants this job he knows what he is up against with the schedule and recruiting..

He would not come here to ride off into the sunset. Especially since he knows this isn't the old MSU. We will fire your ass. Bowl games are not enough. The program has to be going up.

He's a smart guy..I believe he was an attorney before he was a coach.....he knows what people say. He knows what he up against.

I think he will have a chip on his shoulder. I think he wants to prove he can run with the big boys.

I don't know if it will work, but the idea of Mike leach with a chip on his shoulders, maybe coaching with more fire than ever.....the thought of that I can get behind and support

vCash
    Met him in '03 at a coaching clinic. In those days, outside of football geeks, he was not real known. He was interesting as hell and changed a lot of my thinking about football. Mainly the old "you can't do this or can't do that" mentality is horse shit.

He saw football as so simple. In his words "hell it ain't rocket science, but some coaches try to make it that hard". His simplicity was genius, to me. He took up all the time I wanted with me.

So I watched his teams play all I could and read everything I could on him. A couple of years later, we had a talented QB and I was able to convince our HC to put in more and more of Leach's stuff. Too his credit he saw the possibilities of what they did. I called and asked for drill and practice tapes for my QBs and WR's from Leach. They sent whatever I needed.

We had a a WR who was 6 feet and maybe 150 who ran MAYBE a 4.9 40 who set the state record, at that time, for receiving TD's in a season, public or private school.

He's a different dude, but I think that is what has made him successful in places like he's been.

Should State hire him? I don't know, but I know it will take a different type dude to win here. Not an in the box thinker.
    Good post.

vCash

I think you just sold me dude. At least I'd be willing to give it a shot with him if Cohen did make him the coach. Someone said he loved Mississippi too. Might have 10 or 12 good years left in him.

vCash
    Leach would be a Mississippi grand slam.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    hahaha- exactly
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Good one! Rep given!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post
    Of a hire. Yeah I know there are other threads talking about him. But I didn't see one that says hiring Leach will be a disaster.

Please. Someone step up and take Cohens phone and keys away from him.
    (If only half of what's being reported he's doing )
    I?d bet a decent amount of money it won?t be Leach. He is a hot name in most searches at one point and then he isn?t. Plus, his contract currently is nuts for what you?d get from a value standpoint.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DLGDawg View Post
    Of a hire. Yeah I know there are other threads talking about him. But I didn't see one that says hiring Leach will be a disaster.

Please. Someone step up and take Cohens phone and keys away from him.
    (If only half of what's being reported he's doing )
    But he's a proven winner...in the Big 12 and PAC 12. He would fit right in with the SEC West. Plus the most important thing, He will be entertaining in interviews.*
    No Signature

vCash
    Wouldn't be able to recruit in our recruiting ground.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    His recruiting is between 44 - 60. No chance that level recruiting makes you competitive. He might can coach his ass off but bottom line is you have to at least have a minimum talent level to compete in the SEC West.

Exactly, his recruiting is 44-60, and he still wins. Now imagine what he could do here with top 20-30 classes.

We need an offensive guy who can put up points against anyone. Given even a decent DC, our defense will always be fairly good due to where we are. Look at the talent that comes out of Mississippi, and specifically to State over the last 20 years, the state is an absolute hotbed for defensive recruiting. That talent isn't going anywhere, it's in the state every year. We need a coach who can bring in what we don't already home grow organically, which is an elite passing game.
    Last edited by Anonymous; 01-09-2020 at 09:45 AM.

vCash
    UK went 1-10, 4-7, and 4-7 before Mumme and Leach got there. They took UK to the Outback Bowl and had only been to 1 bowl in the 12 years prior. 7-5 was their best record in 13 years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MedDawg View Post
    UK went 1-10, 4-7, and 4-7 before Mumme and Leach got there. They took UK to the Outback Bowl and had only been to 1 bowl in the 12 years prior. 7-5 was their best record in 13 years.
    Yeah and Mumme flamed out and went 2-9 just 2 years later and was removed. Guy Morriss was the replacement who also worked developing the offense and lasted 2 years (went to Baylor and bombed as well).

Also, I have yet to see one person allude to the fact that large a part of the reason they did get better and the offense improved was the fact that Mumme and the staff put UK on probation for huge recruiting violations including paying players. They were also tied up in the Albert Means saga. They came in hot with illegal benefits and it got them 5, 6, 7, 2 wins under Mumme.

vCash
    You can pull numbers out of context with the best of them.

They won 1, 4, and 4, games in the 3 years preceding those two. Than 7-5 year was better than the 13 years that preceded it and the 7 years that followed it.

If anything, the success of that offense even back in the late 90's proves the offense would do just fine in today's SEC.