Thread: Based on recent hires

vCash

Based on recent hires

When it comes to hiring new coaches we all start speculating and have all these "sources" coming out telling us what is going on, but when has it ever worked out the way we expected? Just going off recent memory, none of our hires were of coaches we were expecting? Going back to Mullen, I don't remember him being a popular name being thrown around by the fans. I remember everyone talking about Peterson and some others but not Mullen. Who the f saw Rick Ray coming, or even Ben Howland? I remember several other names being talked about but not them. Same with baseball. We were going to hire Schlossnagle and had other names like McDonnell, Corbin, and Tadlock being thrown around and people "in the know" knew it was going to be one of these but yet we ended up with a coach from Indiana most never heard of.

Point being, are we sure we know wtf we're talking about this time? Maybe I'm misremembering things but there seems to always be smoke but it rarely, if ever, turns out the way any of us expected. My mind keeps telling me that JC is going to pull someone from left field that no one is even talking about.

vCash
    Cohen would be advised to hire someone more on the obvious side this time. Not sure if he could afford another "creative hire"
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Cohen could be cute and try to show again how he's the "smartest man in the room" last time. Different story now and it's not just his decision, not by a LONG shot.

vCash
    Normally I would agree drummer, but John's ass would be directly in the crosshairs if he doesn't hire a known commodity this go round I think. But you could be totally right. Maybe John feels safer than we all think he should at the moment, and makes a riskier hire

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Cohen would be advised to hire someone more on the obvious side this time. Not sure if he could afford another "creative hire"
    Exactly right!!! He has to hire someone who has already run a program.
    You hear those bells mother-fudder....an Air-RAID is coming and that is yo ass!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by drummerdawg View Post
    When it comes to hiring new coaches we all start speculating and have all these "sources" coming out telling us what is going on, but when has it ever worked out the way we expected? Just going off recent memory, none of our hires were of coaches we were expecting? Going back to Mullen, I don't remember him being a popular name being thrown around by the fans. I remember everyone talking about Peterson and some others but not Mullen. Who the f saw Rick Ray coming, or even Ben Howland? I remember several other names being talked about but not them. Same with baseball. We were going to hire Schlossnagle and had other names like McDonnell, Corbin, and Tadlock being thrown around and people "in the know" knew it was going to be one of these but yet we ended up with a coach from Indiana most never heard of.

Point being, are we sure we know wtf we're talking about this time? Maybe I'm misremembering things but there seems to always be smoke but it rarely, if ever, turns out the way any of us expected. My mind keeps telling me that JC is going to pull someone from left field that no one is even talking about.
    You're right about everything except Mullen. I seem to remember his name being mentioned for quite some time before he was actually hired.

vCash
    Mullen's name was out there after Croom - but he definitely wasn't a fan fixation.

Howland was definitely rumored before his hire - it was in circulation prior to Ray getting fired. In fact, C34 put his neck out and said Ray wouldn't be fired and Howland would never be our coach (someone on here uses C34's quote about it as his sig).

And going back a ways - Croom was rumored for the job during that process - remember - he was supposedly Bama's #2 candidate when they hired Shula and we all know LT loved him the Bama blueprint...

So names usually pop up - but fans opinions aren't always indicative of who the lead candidate is.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 01-05-2020 at 10:48 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Normally I would agree drummer, but John's ass would be directly in the crosshairs if he doesn't hire a known commodity this go round I think. But you could be totally right. Maybe John feels safer than we all think he should at the moment, and makes a riskier hire
    Maybe he does hire a known commodity. My thing is, how do we know it's one guy or another? How do we know he's all in on Napier? For all we really know he could be all in on Mark Richt. It's just that every time a coaching job opens up at State all these "sources" throw names out there and they're almost always 100% wrong, or at least it seems that way.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    You're right about everything except Mullen. I seem to remember his name being mentioned for quite some time before he was actually hired.
    He could have been talked about. I just remember other names dominating the topic and being a little surprised when Mullen was announced as the guy.