Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Here is where we are Part 2

vCash

What makes a great head coach....

Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You could be right, but he wouldn't be able to stack the deck in the nfl
    Literally, no one on these boards knows. If I told you we were about to hire Tommy Bowden?s wide receiver coach, would you believe that hire goes on to win 2 National Championships and play for another couple. Dabo Swinney was simply a college wide receiver coach that was handed the head coaching job and parlayed it into what he is today. Head Coach is mainly about an intangible organizational and leadership capability. It requires passion, focus, decisiveness and toughness. It doesn?t require some special Xs and Os capability. Every hire in the SEC is a crapshoot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by pilldawg View Post
    Literally, no one on these boards knows. If I told you we were about to hire Tommy Bowden?s wide receiver coach, would you believe that hire goes on to win 2 National Championships and play for another couple. Dabo Swinney was simply a college wide receiver coach that was handed the head coaching job and parlayed it into what he is today. Head Coach is mainly about an intangible organizational and leadership capability. It requires passion, focus, decisiveness and toughness. It doesn?t require some special Xs and Os capability. Every hire in the SEC is a crapshoot.
    Completely agree and you can make a Judge type hire if he's an internal candidate that you've been around for a while & seen how he interacts with players.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You could be right, but he wouldn't be able to stack the deck in the nfl
    Saban average when all talent and reffing is equal.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Looks like it's Napier or Judge.

The job is Napier's if Baylor doesn't come open or Judge's if Napier goes to Baylor.

Baylor is Napier's preference (shitty schedule, private school, Texas, more than 4 year contract) & he'll attempt to elongate this till after the bowl game.
    Its Napier or Grantham. If we hire Judge over Grantham then we are done

vCash
    I can't see Cohen going with someone that doesn't have head coaching experience this time around. Judge and Grantham both seem too risky just because of that alone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    So we fired him when we did without a sure thing lined up? Cohen needs to be fired NOW. He can't be trusted to make the hire if this is true.
    This is ridiculous. Hiring anyone a day or two would be a monumental disaster for MSU.

1. That's pretty close to tampering. Meaning we would open up ourselves to a potential lawsuit from Joe- which he would win. Or have to pay a lot more money out of court to settle.

2. And because of that you don't want agents and potential future coaches knowing that MSU will go behind your back while you still have a job. That's a terrible look for us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    Well, if he wants a P5 job next season we are currently the only game in town and we are highly interested. With all of the other P5 jobs that opened earlier you never really even heard his name much.
    You heard it mentioned a lot with the mississippi and Arkansas openings.
    Praise The Lord and Go Dawgs!!!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DogsofAnarchy View Post
    He does not match what Cohen said he was hiring today. No experience as a head coach is a recipe for disaster in this league.
    In normal circumstances I would agree. However, Joey isn't the norm. He's been groomed by the greatest to ever do it and knows football like non other. The structure, teaching, knowledge, and notoriety he could bring with his NFL connections would be nearly the best in the SEC only comparable to Nick Saban.

vCash
    Only thing that worries me about grantham is a potential revolving door at the OC position, something similar to what Mullen had with DCs.

It’s easier IMO to replace DCs than it is to be learning a new offense every couple of years. As soon as we land a good OC he will be plucked up by a Bama type school. Even if we open the checkbook up(which it doesn’t look like we are willing to do for assistants).

Could potentially hurt recruiting and continuity in the offense.

vCash
    I've been thinking it is Napier but Cohen said it would be someone with a love for MSU. How does that fit with Napier. I guess anyone could love MSU for $4M though. I see Judge has ties with MSU, Hud has ties with MSU, and Grantham has ties with MSU. However, I'm not sure Cohen can be trusted on his candidate's qualifications.

Judge might be interesting because he might let others run the offense and defense like Coach O. I think that could be good but he could also be like Croom and insist on a West Coach Offense.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Sienfield View Post
    I've been thinking it is Napier but Cohen said it would be someone with a love for MSU. How does that fit with Napier. I guess anyone could love MSU for $4M though. I see Judge has ties with MSU, Hud has ties with MSU, and Grantham has ties with MSU. However, I'm not sure Cohen can be trusted on his candidate's qualifications.

Judge might be interesting because he might let others run the offense and defense like Coach O. I think that could be good but he could also be like Croom and insist on a West Coach Offense.
    It's an ambiguous statement he made at a PC. He could mean they'll eventually love MSU. It's not something you can measure. I wouldn't read into it.

vCash
    What is Grantham's record as a Head Coach?

I'd much rather have Napier or Hudspeth who are both disciplinarians and detail oriented. If we're going to hire a first timer it needs to be Judge which would be a bigger splash than a retread DC with a name that's bounced around.