Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: State of the Athletic Department

vCash

State of the Athletic Department

Sorry to start another thread to beat a dead horse, but anyone remember the notes Byrne and Stricklin used to send out? Seems like they came out every Wednesday. Anyway, this was another example of them getting out in front of things and not being reactionary. All that to say this, with all the chatter why doesn't Cohen put out a state of the athletic department?

Right now would be the perfect time. Vision 20/20 - stating what is happening in the coming year. Even better would be a decade ahead video or letter. Stating what our plan is for MSU Athletics for the coming decade. What are our priorities, where are we going to be spending money, how is it going to help MSU compete in the SEC and nationally, and what Joe Q Fan can do to help.

The lack of communication is what makes me really feel we are back in the Templeton era. So what if the cigar boys know what's going on. It's the average fan on message boards and twitter that are on the streets talking your program daily. Plug them in some way, some how. A lot of chatter could be easily quieted, but in a void - darkness speaks.

vCash
    It definitely feels like we have started doing business like it is the 90s again. Anyone have a Dawgsbite magazine so we can find out what is happening at MSU?

vCash
    Hell, it might scare you!

vCash
    We can't believe anything John says pertaining to the football program so it's all a waste to print fiction.

vCash
    John recently did a big Q/A. Basically saying no beer but better experiences coming (concessions), Hump renovation starts next year, south endzone expansion after that, indoor facility after that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    John recently did a big Q/A. Basically saying no beer but better experiences coming (concessions), Hump renovation starts next year, south endzone expansion after that, indoor facility after that.
    Building the south endzone to add more premium seating is beyond a stupid expenditure of capital funds at this point. Upgrade the GD metal bleachers to chair backs, un17 the concession snafu, get people in the stadium in a more efficient manner and sell beer before adding more higher paying seating. Make it the nicest venue in the league.

vCash
    We do a horrible job not using video. You dont connect with fans through a q and a in the newspaper anymore. You put out a 5 minute awesome video on all social media platforms celebrating the decade?s accomplishments and turning the page to the next decade. We are just dull right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Building the south endzone to add more premium seating is beyond a stupid expenditure of capital funds at this point. Upgrade the GD metal bleachers to chair backs, un17 the concession snafu, get people in the stadium in a more efficient manner and sell beer before adding more higher paying seating. Make it the nicest venue in the league.
    Yep. How much would chairbacking it all cut the capacity?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    We do a horrible job not using video. You dont connect with fans through a q and a in the newspaper anymore. You put out a 5 minute awesome video on all social media platforms celebrating the decade?s accomplishments and turning the page to the next decade. We are just dull right now.

Our PR and media presence is virtually non-existent. It's the complete opposite of how it needs to be basically. Absolutely stagnant and not one thing to be excited about. And this is even if you do support Moorhead 100%. It's still boring.

With the future landscape of college football and players making money from their name we better learn how to market ourselves and market our players. Otherwise, the gap will become even larger from us and the blue bloods.

vCash
    I am the managing partner for my business and I even have to send out a state of the company at the end of each year to all my other partners.

What’s sad is they don’t miss on those letters asking for money.

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    I was thinking that Arkansas chairbacked their stadium a few years ago and went looking to see if I could find anything on it. I found the following....

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2019/1...tion-issa-joke

It took me a minute or two to realize it was a joke. But, it was funny. Just sharing if you wanted a laugh or two. It plays off of their recent demise. If not, disregard.

Now, back to looking...

vCash
    I agree!!!!; it is mind blowing dumb to add anything to the stadium at this point in time. Save that money, wait and see the long term effect TV has on attendance and then when you have the cash..... a total redo of the Westside to give you sideline luxury, premium seating. The south endzone can always be built after that.... year 2100.

Also chair backs.... looking at Nissan stadium this week..... chairbacks throughout look nice.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Lumpy Chucklelips View Post
    I was thinking that Arkansas chairbacked their stadium a few years ago and went looking to see if I could find anything on it. I found the following....

https://www.arkansasfight.com/2019/1...tion-issa-joke

It took me a minute or two to realize it was a joke. But, it was funny. Just sharing if you wanted a laugh or two. It plays off of their recent demise. If not, disregard.

Now, back to looking...
    Do they make stadium seats wide enough for the general Hawg fan?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Yep. How much would chairbacking it all cut the capacity?
    Yeah it would cut the capacity, but to be truthful the 12" per seat model they are using right now makes for some very uncomfortable seating arrangements. Luckily, on the field performance, has kept the actual attendance down since 2016. So there is that.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    I agree!!!!; it is mind blowing dumb to add anything to the stadium at this point in time. Save that money, wait and see the long term effect TV has on attendance and then when you have the cash..... a total redo of the Westside to give you sideline luxury, premium seating. The south endzone can always be built after that.... year 2100.

Also chair backs.... looking at Nissan stadium this week..... chairbacks throughout look nice.
    I would agree, but they should let me redesign the M-Club Building. That thing looks like ass.

vCash
    I swear we just look for stuff to whine about.

vCash
    Absolutely!! I don’t drink but don’t care if anyone else does or not. Not sure if the athletic department would know how to spend the extra revenue in a positive way. No need to expand anything at DWS. We need chair back seating and the Templeton troughs removed. I’m not sure there will be any sell outs for a while anyway.

vCash
    No need to upgrade anything football related until we upgrade coaches

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I swear we just look for stuff to whine about.
    Well hard not to when there isn't much to commend. We just had a top 5 Egg Bowl finish and our marketing department did nothing to capitalize on it. There was so much done after the 2013 Egg Bowl (that people love to compare this season to). Off-the-field has been more pathetic on-the-field. And it's not a contest.

Seriously, the only positives I've seen so far is the addition of "cooling" towers of free water after the major bitching about USM and the giving up of wanding people through to let the stadium fill up for Egg Bowl pre kickoff.

vCash
    So digging through the HailState.com archives, he at one time did do a weekly “Cohen’s Corner” update where he would kind of give the lay of the land on our program. The last one published was on June 27th, 2018, right after we hired Lemonis. Not sure why he stopped doing those and kinda wish he wouldn’t have.