Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Light Shines On MS Football

vCash

The Light Shines On MS Football

OM making a big splash with this one, and I have to honestly say I respect it. Hiked their leg and pissed on Arky no matter what the outcome is, all the hype coming from that fan base about LK just to have the rug pulled out from under them after back to back 2-10 seasons has to be brutal.HOWEVER, if they could somehow snag Drinkwitz from App State I think they would be in much better shape than a Kiffin hire. Could very well be their own Malzahn, same arky HS and was his protege for a short time at AU from what I could tell.

That being said, in regards to our program I don't think its a total loss. Do I think Moorhead will be able to outdo Kiffin recruiting, coaching wise?
    It'll be tough, just a lot of name recognition and connections it seems from the outside like going to be in Kiffins favor.

I think it'll be a lot closer on the recruiting trail than in the coaching department. I think for all the shit we give Moorhead (and rightfully so) he generates a lot of respect with recruits and that can't be denied. Although could Kiffin have the culture synergy like O at LSU? I don't think its far fetched, I believe he embodies and can sell that program as well as anyone in America. The ven diagram of OM's and Lane Kiffins interests & recreational activites seem to be a perfect circle.

However when it comes to coaching, say what you will about Kiffin and his reputation I believe he is far more of an offensive guru than Moorhead is/will be. He's experienced coaching at about every level (FOR BETTER OR WORSE) NFL, head guy at a major program, OC under Saban, head guy at a minor program and my point in saying that is no doubt has he had to learn to adapt his offense to the players/talent level to some extent or another. Which is one area that is painfully obvious Moorhead refuses or is unable to do. If he can utilize his connections to bring in a good, respected DC they could have something good in the works.

The pro's of this hire for us though is that egg bowl rivalry heat from the Mullen/Freeze era is about to be back in full force. The players have carried the load in the past couple of years for us but if you think for a second that Kiffin isn't about to pour gasoline on that fire..... and thankfully so. All these people that have a dump in their pants about the level of hate that goes into this rivalry blows my mind. Lets be honest, its the trademark of the egg bowl and its a beautiful thing to see when it all comes together. Were going to get a lot more national attention because of the increased excitement leading up to this thing imo. Just having Kiffin in state is going to bring a lot more national attention as a whole I believe.

Can Jomo handle it? The jury will be out big time. He's up against a lot tougher instate competition now and has to realize that, Matt Luke was training wheels for going against OM. This hire proves the system is back in business. He's given his big boy presser, its his program and he can coach at this level and we will have to drag his yankee ass out of here. He's got to step up to the plate and next season and back it all up but I think it just got a lot tougher and he could very well get exposed next year in Oxford and be singing a very different tune. Which puts us in OM's seat a year down the road and we just have to let the chips fall where they may.

The bright lights are shining on MS football again, how do you respond Moorhead....

vCash
    It's Lane Kiffen. It's not a big splash, it's desperation. Dennis Dodd made the comment on some show"three years and a show cause." That's about right.

vCash
    One thing you have to remember about Kiffen and TUSK will probably agree is that he BLEW the 2014 game against OM. Bamas up at the beginning of the 3rd QTR and going in for the kill shot on the 1st drive by running the ball down OMs throat and BAMA throws 3 straight incompletions to kill that drive. Then they go pass happy for the rest of the game and lose it. That was all on LK. I though Saban was going to neuter Kiffen during the 4th QTR. He isn't the 2nd coming of Tom Landry.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    It's Lane Kiffen. It's not a big splash, it's desperation. Dennis Dodd made the comment on some show"three years and a show cause." That's about right.
    Get your head out of the sand. He'll bring a level of excitement and attention that we won't compete with unless we make a change too. Major upgrade for them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    Get your head out of the sand. He'll bring a level of excitement and attention that we won't compete with unless we make a change too. Major upgrade for them.
    What is this ?level of excitement? he will bring based on? His failure as a head coach in Oakland, failure at TN, or failure at USC? Or his success at FAU...because that is definitely apples to apples as far as coaching in the SEC West.

More likely this level of excitement is going to come from the hype they are so good at creating. They can control the narrative all they want but it doesn?t make him a good coach. If you have followed his coaching career at all, you know that he typically leaves programs in worse shape than he found them.

vCash
    Failure at Tenn? He won more than he lost and was a blocked field goal by Mt Cody from beating Bama at Bama. He is not terrible. I expect the Sharks to be bowling at a minimum next year with Joey F at the wheel. Now that doesn?t mean I think we need to be woah-is-me. We have enough W?s on our schedule for a competent coach to have us at 6-7 wins minimum headed into the BFTGE. Will our coach be competent next year? That?s the real question.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    Failure at Tenn? He won more than he lost and was a blocked field goal by Mt Cody from beating Bama at Bama. He is not terrible. I expect the Sharks to be bowling at a minimum next year with Joey F at the wheel. Now that doesn?t mean I think we need to be woah-is-me. We have enough W?s on our schedule for a competent coach to have us at 6-7 wins minimum headed into the BFTGE. Will our coach be competent next year? That?s the real question.
    It?s amazing to me that some of our same fans who are ok keeping Joe, think Kiffin is a horrible coach...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    Oh so 6-6 is a successful season? Got it.

vCash
    cowbell and cowboydawg both spouting the truth!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by timotheus View Post
    cowbell and cowboydawg both spouting the truth!
    Who needs the OM hype machine when our fans will do it for them.

vCash
    Everyone in here pretending that Lane Kiffin getting hired to any somewhat major program wouldn’t create some hype on its own you are ignorant. Is he the best coach to grace the conference no.... does he bring excitement though undoubtedly for better or worse for them. He’s just a popular coach whos been through some big name programs. I think he’s a hell of a lot better playcaller than we’ve got right now. I guarantee you won’t see plumee taking 30 seconds off the clock every play next season...

vCash
    Delete.
    Last edited by Turfdawg67; 12-07-2019 at 02:03 PM.

vCash
    He is going to have the same Oline and QB for next year and the same Def. So scare me.

vCash
    He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That’s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could’ve made safer hires that would’ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That’s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could’ve made safer hires that would’ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.
    Nailed it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    Whose head is in the sand? I'm a big USC fan too. I've watched Kiffin a lot longer than most here have. Y'all need to quit acting like he is Vince Lombardi. He isn't. From what I can see their fans ain't exactly overjoyed and untied about it either. They shouldn't be. He leaves wreckage in his wake nearly everywhere he goes. If we had hired him I would be pretty dang disgusted. Since it's them I like it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Falcon View Post
    He is a name that everybody knows and everybody has an opinion about. That?s all Ole Miss has ever wanted, to have people talking about them. They could?ve made safer hires that would?ve probably won more than Kiffin, but they wanted the paparazzi no matter the risk. And there is some definite risk with Joey Freshwater.
    There is a lot of truth to that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DDawg View Post
    Everyone in here pretending that Lane Kiffin getting hired to any somewhat major program wouldn?t create some hype on its own you are ignorant. Is he the best coach to grace the conference no.... does he bring excitement though undoubtedly for better or worse for them. He?s just a popular coach whos been through some big name programs. I think he?s a hell of a lot better playcaller than we?ve got right now. I guarantee you won?t see plumee taking 30 seconds off the clock every play next season...
    Lane Kiffin popular? LOL. Hated, reviled, laughed at, smirked at, run out of town, left in the tarmac, he is all of that. Popular no. Perhaps we'll known would have been a better choice of words.

Can he win up there? Anything is always possible but I wouldn't bet on it. If he does he will leave in shot and probably the way Tuberville left look like a live fest.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboydawg View Post
    Oh so 6-6 is a successful season? Got it.
    When you win more games than the team did the season before- its a successful season
    Walk like the King or walk like you don't care who the King is

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboydawg View Post
    Who needs the OM hype machine when our fans will do it for them.
    Exactly. They are also doing their best in negative recruiting against MSU too.