Thread: The Mandalorian

vCash

The Mandalorian

So what did everyone think?

I really like the gunslinger in the wild west approach. Very good episode and it was interesting to see that from the trailers that he gets a full set of Mandalorian armor but in the first episode only has the helmet and one shoulder pad.

vCash
    Fantastic through the first 2 episodes. I'm guessing he's going to bond with the "package" and the client will try to double cross him, leading to a big fight. I'm surprised Disney/LucasFilm agreed to have another member of Yoda's race on the show. Wonder if we'll finally find out what they're called. Regardless, love the "Western" vibe of the show. Very different from anything else Star Wars we've gotten, but it's a nice change. Just hope the episodes are going to be longer than 30 minutes, ha.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    I'm very impressed so far. Favreau said he wanted a spaghetti western in space and I can definitely see it. The 4th episode was a little draggy but still far better than the last two Stars Wars movies. It seems there's a big push to get Favreau to chair the SW universe after Kathleen Kennedy steps down.

vCash
    Man, I gotta get caught up. I'm going to watch the entire movie set during the holidays, then try to catch these Mandalorian episodes. I never saw the last 3-4 movies.

vCash
    I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good overall. The problem is that The Last Jedi was complete shit. Rian Johnson can DIAF for giving us that movie. I'm of the belief he went rogue and veered away from the plan JJ had. Hoping JJ can fix thins with The Rise of Skywalker, but it's going to be really damn hard.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I thought The Force Awakens was pretty good overall. The problem is that The Last Jedi was complete shit. Rian Johnson can DIAF for giving us that movie. I'm of the belief he went rogue and veered away from the plan JJ had. Hoping JJ can fix thins with The Rise of Skywalker, but it's going to be really damn hard.
    You might as well cull back your expectations for the new movie. Go into it like a Michael Bay film, expect a heaping pile of shit with some explosions.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    I'm very impressed so far. Favreau said he wanted a spaghetti western in space and I can definitely see it. The 4th episode was a little draggy but still far better than the last two Stars Wars movies. It seems there's a big push to get Favreau to chair the SW universe after Kathleen Kennedy steps down.
    Favreau also started the Marvel Cinematic Universe with the Ironman movies. I believe he did the 2nd one and then someone else did the 3rd. I have really liked The Mandalorian so far.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DownwardDawg View Post
    Man, I gotta get caught up. I'm going to watch the entire movie set during the holidays, then try to catch these Mandalorian episodes. I never saw the last 3-4 movies.
    The Mandalorian is actually set 5 years after Return of the Jedi so you don't need to see any of the new movies to get the plot. If you wanted to watch them in order you would technically watch them:

Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Solo
    Rogue One
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    The Mandalorian
    Episode 7
    Episode 8 - shit movie but at least it doesn't have Jar Jar in it

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    The Mandalorian is actually set 5 years after Return of the Jedi so you don't need to see any of the new movies to get the plot. If you wanted to watch them in order you would technically watch them:

Episode 1
    Episode 2
    Episode 3
    Solo
    Rogue One
    Episode 4
    Episode 5
    Episode 6
    The Mandalorian
    Episode 7
    Episode 8 - shit movie but at least it doesn't have Jar Jar in it
    Rumor I've been seeing lately is The Mandalorian is Favreau's reboot of Star Wars post prequels. They won't be alluding to or mentioning ANYTHING from the last three movies.

Episode 6: The Prisoner was the best so far. The New Republic gets some love.

vCash
    Rumor I've been seeing lately is The Mandalorian is Favreau's reboot of Star Wars post prequels. They won't be alluding to or mentioning ANYTHING from the last three movies.

Episode 6: The Prisoner was the best so far. The New Republic gets some love.
    I have loved how every episode is almost a different action genre. I have recently rewatched the movies getting ready for Episode 9. The prequels weren't that bad if you ignore Jar Jar. The little kid in 1 isn't a great actor but he is a 7-8 year old kid. The action sequences in the prequels are pretty good. I am actually going to watch Empire Strikes Back tonight.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I have loved how every episode is almost a different action genre. I have recently rewatched the movies getting ready for Episode 9. The prequels weren't that bad if you ignore Jar Jar. The little kid in 1 isn't a great actor but he is a 7-8 year old kid. The action sequences in the prequels are pretty good. I am actually going to watch Empire Strikes Back tonight.
    Although you didn't ask I'm going to tell you imo what's wrong with the prequels.

In Episode One Anakin is too young and Obi Wan is too old. I remember all the claims from Yoda in Empire Strikes Back that Luke was too old to train. So, I was thinking that Anakin was a teenager, maybe late teens, when Ginn found him. That would have made much more sense. Although gifted with the Force he was too attached to emotions and feelings as a teenager. Now, couple that with an Obi Wan barely in his twenties no longer a padawan but actually trying to fulfill his master's dying wish to have anakin trained as a Jedi. While Anakin is too old to train, Obi Wan is too young and inexperienced to be his master. Perfect combination for Anakin's ultimate betrayal.

Having Anakin meet Padme when he's like ten and she's, maybe, seventeen is dumb. And who the hell elects a seventeen year old to be the queen of the planet. Again, dumb. Padme should have been introduced in Episode Two. Anakin is an older padawan, in his early twenties, and he's excelling in his Jedi training. He is able to accomplish things only the seasoned masters are capable of. Mace Windu and Yoda become concerned for his future. He's hot headed and impulsive.

I read several years ago that before Jake was chosen as young Anakin there was a strong possibility that Leo Dicaprio was going to play Anakin in all three prequels. A late teens Anakin to mid thirties Anakin. That would have made total sense and a much better choice for an older Anakin than Hayden Christiansen.

vCash
    Although you didn't ask I'm going to tell you imo what's wrong with the prequels.

In Episode One Anakin is too young and Obi Wan is too old. I remember all the claims from Yoda in Empire Strikes Back that Luke was too old to train. So, I was thinking that Anakin was a teenager, maybe late teens, when Ginn found him. That would have made much more sense. Although gifted with the Force he was too attached to emotions and feelings as a teenager. Now, couple that with an Obi Wan barely in his twenties no longer a padawan but actually trying to fulfill his master's dying wish to have anakin trained as a Jedi. While Anakin is too old to train, Obi Wan is too young and inexperienced to be his master. Perfect combination for Anakin's ultimate betrayal.

Having Anakin meet Padme when he's like ten and she's, maybe, seventeen is dumb. And who the hell elects a seventeen year old to be the queen of the planet. Again, dumb. Padme should have been introduced in Episode Two. Anakin is an older padawan, in his early twenties, and he's excelling in his Jedi training. He is able to accomplish things only the seasoned masters are capable of. Mace Windu and Yoda become concerned for his future. He's hot headed and impulsive.

I read several years ago that before Jake was chosen as young Anakin there was a strong possibility that Leo Dicaprio was going to play Anakin in all three prequels. A late teens Anakin to mid thirties Anakin. That would have made total sense and a much better choice for an older Anakin than Hayden Christiansen.
    Nope - you just illustrated the problem with the prequels and the current movies - people spend too much time dissecting the details and not just enjoying the story and the adventure. It's a fantasy universe where our rules don't apply.
    Look at them like inconsistencies in The Bible. Do you think Noah became the father of Shem when he was 500? Does that piece of information that is inconsistent with everything we know about humans make the story of Noah something less?
    The movies are supposed to be fun and entertainment. The original trilogy is loaded with plot holes, bad acting, and questionable decisions - but we look past that because they sparked something new that had never really been done. I've liked all of the movies, cartoons, and now the Mandalorian because I like Star Wars.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Nope - you just illustrated the problem with the prequels and the current movies - people spend too much time dissecting the details and not just enjoying the story and the adventure. It's a fantasy universe where our rules don't apply.
    Look at them like inconsistencies in The Bible. Do you think Noah became the father of Shem when he was 500? Does that piece of information that is inconsistent with everything we know about humans make the story of Noah something less?
    The movies are supposed to be fun and entertainment. The original trilogy is loaded with plot holes, bad acting, and questionable decisions - but we look past that because they sparked something new that had never really been done. I've liked all of the movies, cartoons, and now the Mandalorian because I like Star Wars.
    Sorry. I just don't see it that way. My religion is based on faith. There's nothing faith based about this. And had Irvin Kershner and Harrison Ford not fought Lucas for script changes in ESB part of the entire SW mythos would have been completely different. It's poor story telling on Lucas's part but still miles ahead of the last SW movies.

vCash
    My favorite part of The Mandalorian is in the first episode when they reference "Life Day," which is the fake holiday they made up for the Star Wars Holiday Special with Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Harvey Korman, Diahann Carroll, Jefferson Starship, and the introduction of Boba Fett.

Spectacular.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MagicDawg View Post
    My favorite part of The Mandalorian is in the first episode when they reference "Life Day," which is the fake holiday they made up for the Star Wars Holiday Special with Bea Arthur, Art Carney, Harvey Korman, Diahann Carroll, Jefferson Starship, and the introduction of Boba Fett.

Spectacular.
    Oh, that's a good catch. The Easter Eggs in The Mandalorian are all over the place.