Outdoor Dawgs -

Hope your fall is kicking tail. My season is over, and I am on the shelf. Lifetime of abuse that culminated in one kick of a soccer ball with my daughter. ACL replacement (cadaver ligament) and some meniscus trimming.

That said, I had an excellent run-up to this event with my first Wyoming pronghorn hunt. This was self-guided on BLM land right outside of Casper. Pics will follow below, but we had six tags - three each. One buck, and two doe/fawn tags. We probably saw close to 1,000 animals total, at least 60% of those were huntable on public land.

We tagged out in three days. The whole story is on the East to West Hunting podcast, episode 86 if you are interested:

https://eastwesthunt.com/2019/10/21/...stern-hunting/

My first buck, taken at hour two of hunting on the first day. Our goal was a good, representative animal rather than trophies. Next time, we will spend more time looking up front.

Classic western spot and stalk on this big doe on Day 2. We saw a doe/fawn and decided to try for them. We ended up walking about 3/4 of a mile in the opposite direction to get in a terrain feature between us and the wind in our face. We walked up the bottom of a drainage and I popped up over a hill to see 35-40 animals within 50 yards. They had no idea I was there. I filled my remaining two tags here with a fawn and the biggest doe in the group.

My partner tagged out the following day, and we spend about half a day processing our kill. Three pronghorn equal about 100lbs of boned out meat. Exactly the weight requirement for two checked bags.

The general knock on pronghorn is they are not good to each. That is 100% false. We cooked a portion of backstrap the morning after our first hunt. Simple prep: seared in butter and lightly seasoned in a cheap skillet in an AirBnB. Result = amazing.

Started processing some breakfast sausage when I got home. Once again, nothing wrong with this:

Chili con Carne has been a great hit so far as well:

Bottom line, if you want to hunt out west, chose this one to start. Tags are cheap and easy to get, and there may not be a better hunt from an access and opportunity standpoint. Travel is easy too, as we did this via fly-in to Denver and drive to Wyoming.

Hail State!

SapperDawg