Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To be objective

vCash

To be objective

What would this year have looked like:

1. With a healthy Tommy Stevens.

2. A full season of the defense with Gay, Autry, and Murphy.

I bet we would be at least two wins better right now. And likely with more competitive losses as well to Auburn and LSU.

You could make a case that this year is similar to 2016 or 2013 in some ways. Yes there are concerns- discipline and special teams need to be addressed. I?m not dodging that at all. S&C as well.

But like 2016 we are adding in a lot of JUCO?s next year. Will they be enough to give us a boost in 2020? We also drop the SEC East blue bloods for a few years- Mizzou in Starkville and Vanderbilt on the road in 2021.

If we clean up a few things and maybe have a little bit better fortune with injuries we could go on another nice run for a couple of years. Really it?s about time for us to have a dream season.

vCash
    We played a terrible team. It changes nothing. And we returned enough this isn’t a rebuild. Last year problems were???? Jo needs to win 3 more games. I still believe we’re going to have a new coach next year.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    We?ve had some good games against bad teams. We have no idea how any of them would have done against anyone good because it hasn?t happened.

Moorhead will be here for 1-2 more. We have to hope he figures it out. I don?t believe based on beating Arkansas. Our fans quickly think we have it figured out but I?ve seen this move a few times before.

Let?s see that happens against Ole Miss.

Ever Been to Gloster?? cheewgumm's Avatar
    vCash
    Also the dream season was last year but he absolutely destroyed that.

The common theme I see with his offense is : if we have decidedly more talent, it looks good. If we don?t, it?s hard to watch. I can?t think of a game that this rule has not played out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

I bet we would be at least two wins better right now. And likely with more competitive losses as well to Auburn and LSU.

You could make a case that this year is similar to 2016 or 2013 in some ways. Yes there are concerns- discipline and special teams need to be addressed. I?m not dodging that at all. S&C as well.

But like 2016 we are adding in a lot of JUCO?s next year. Will they be enough to give us a boost in 2020? We also drop the SEC East blue bloods for a few years- Mizzou in Starkville and Vanderbilt on the road in 2021.

If we clean up a few things and maybe have a little bit better fortune with injuries we could go on another nice run for a couple of years. Really it?s about time for us to have a dream season.
    Moorhead still has a lot to fix. I think the toughness, physicality, and looking prepared aspect is something he's got to address if he happens to stay.

But I'm with you on this. It would be stupid to think this year wouldn't look different if Stevens were completely healthy and tutor gate doesn't happen. Gay, Autry, and Murphy being available for all 12 games would have made a massive difference for our defense and that's just plain facts. Then add in the fact we lost one of our starting CBs for the year. Dantzler has been out some. His backup has been out. Lost a few guys on the OL for a game or 2.

And you look at the number of not just starters out, but the number of backups that could have played or alternated and that depth issue has not helped. So folks say we returned enough. But a lot of what we returned has only played in 3 games or has been injured. My hope is that people can realize that while there are still things to fix, 7-6 given what we've had, would at least give us hope this can be fixed. Because this year was a rebuild compared to last year no matter what other folks on this board say. And that rebuild was exacerbated by the injuries and the tutor gate.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Moorhead still has a lot to fix. I think the toughness, physicality, and looking prepared aspect is something he's got to address if he happens to stay.

But I'm with you on this. It would be stupid to think this year wouldn't look different if Stevens were completely healthy and tutor gate doesn't happen. Gay, Autry, and Murphy being available for all 12 games would have made a massive difference for our defense and that's just plain facts. Then add in the fact we lost one of our starting CBs for the year. Dantzler has been out some. His backup has been out. Lost a few guys on the OL for a game or 2.

And you look at the number of not just starters out, but the number of backups that could have played or alternated and that depth issue has not helped. So folks say we returned enough. But a lot of what we returned has only played in 3 games or has been injured. My hope is that people can realize that while there are still things to fix, 7-6 given what we've had, would at least give us hope this can be fixed. Because this year was a rebuild compared to last year no matter what other folks on this board say. And that rebuild was exacerbated by the injuries and the tutor gate.
    If this year is a rebuild, then next year will be demolition.

vCash
    and if we had about 25 four and five star players what could we do? You deal with what you have. Tutor gate didn't effect the offense and that is a big part of the problem with this team. Without a run game we ain't winning and that was the problem in some of the games. A win over Arkansas doesn't change things. The way we won helps some but let's let it play out and see where we are. We get to a bowl while playing good JoMo probable deserves a little more rope.

vCash
    Arkansas may be the worse sec football team I've watched play over the last 20 years or so, name me one worse?

But in saying this, Tommy Stevens could have helped us this year and hopefully we will win the next 2/3, go to a bowl and win it.

I'm not convinced Joe is our answer but I'm still waiting to finish the season. I was saying we would win 6-8 games, but say and believe what has been said before, tutor gate, S&C/Special team coaches, and injuries coast us at least one loss maybe two games.

IF Joe is back we gotta make a few assistant coach changes.

Winning is the answer, I sure hope we win and go bowling. We still have this chance, Stevens and Hill give us that chance imo.

vCash
    Beating Arkansas did not tell me much. Beating them badly helped though.

The real tell will be in our last two SEC games. Can we look decent against Alabama: probably not. If we do, it would show progress.

Can we beat an Ole Miss team that has a similar level of talent as we do - at home? I think Ole Miss is a better football team than us. Their losses have been much closer than ours and they seem more hard-nosed. Beating them will give me at least some hope for the future.

Color me "not sold on Moorhead," but will wait out the season.

vCash
    If we have all hands on deck and healthy .... and coached up... I’d say we have two additional wins over KState and Tennessee. Also we would be heavy favorites vs OM.

vCash
    His offense has looked great against crap teams. What does it look like when Bama shuts down the run game?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msugolf View Post
    If this year is a rebuild, then next year will be demolition.
    Why? It's possible we get the majority of impactful juniors back. Shrader at QB. I think Witherspoon will be fine plus Walker and hopefully Marks if Hill decides to leave. WR will be concerning. OL will have some parts.

DL brings a lot back. LB hopefully brings back both Gay and Errol. Secondary is Dantzler, Jones/Emerson, Murphy, and a few others.

We've got pieces next year to get 8 wins, especially with our swing games switching home. So if we return a lot of our juniors they we are in good shape. If they all leave (Hill, Errol, Gay, Dantzler) then yes next year could be a little difficult no matter who the coach is.

vCash
    Yep. Though I'd argue MSU has more talent than KState. And yes, sadly, I've been to Gloster. Pine Hills Academy represent.

Quote Originally Posted by cheewgumm View Post
    Also the dream season was last year but he absolutely destroyed that.

The common theme I see with his offense is : if we have decidedly more talent, it looks good. If we don?t, it?s hard to watch. I can?t think of a game that this rule has not played out.

vCash
    We beat a terrible Arkansas team and everybody starts playing What If? We looked like dog shit this season when it mattered. This Arkansas game meant nothing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroonthirteen View Post
    If we have all hands on deck and healthy .... and coached up... I’d say we have two additional wins over KState and Tennessee. Also we would be heavy favorites vs OM.
    We had all hands on deck vs UT.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    We had all hands on deck vs UT.
    Very true which is probably why we only allowed 20. We did waste 1st half on Stevens at QB. Shrader plays whole game I think we win that one by a hair.

vCash

Agree. Not going to look back at all the what ifs. Many of those are on Joe but we've beat those to death. But give this team credit they came out and dominated an SEC team on the road. For anyone, especially where we are, that is not a given and took some effort. We still got issues but at least we have life for another day.

Lets get 6-7 wins before year is over (including bowl for those that think I'm predicting Bama upset - not).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Very level headed post. Of course, great bounces happen to bad teams and the opposite is true too.

I tend to think we are just an average team who had a few bad breaks in suspensions and injuries.

vCash

What the point really should be is that if Moorhead doesn't completely screw the pooch last season and wins like he should have with that team instead of talking about wanting to Fire Slomo, we are actually allowing tutor gate and injuries to be an excuse. We are following a season of wasted talent and disappointment with another season of wasted talent and disappoint. And that's only if we go 6-6. I get it, I know a lot of folks said 6-6, but I can't imagine those 6-6 folks thought we'd be this bad sans Arkansas. Let's be honest, yesterday is the only game the entire year we actually dominated anyone. Even USM and ULL weren't complete dominations. Moorhead just has no good will with the majority of our fan base, anybody trying to compare any of Mullen years with the last two are way off base. They don't compare, you're discussing a veteran coach who'd done a lot before his first let down year (2013) and second let down year (2016). Moorhead has had two let down years already without any good/exceeding expectation years.

And anybody who changed their mind yesterday against that awful opponent, you're just as bad as the negative fair weather fans. That game yesterday should do nothing to retract from how absolute abysmal this hire has been currently and if it does change your mind, then you're part of the problem with why our program can never get over the hump. You accept mediocrity because well it's better than taking a chance and getting worse. Championship programs are not built by the small and weak-minded, they are built by the bold, the strong willed, and the ones who hold their people to a standard even if that standard is difficult to reach. We will never be a championship program as long as we have fans who are too worried about what might happen if we get rid of people who are up to the standard we set because it could be worse. Of course it could always be worse, but it could be better.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    Very level headed post. Of course, great bounces happen to bad teams and the opposite is true too.

I tend to think we are just an average team who had a few bad breaks in suspensions and injuries.
    I think we are really an eight win team talent wise. I don’t think Moorhead has done a good job plus the bad breaks. But I think my point is we aren’t in a rebuild situation and if certain things change we will be right back where we were. That’s encouraging to me. But the changes have to happen. At least Joe mentions the changes and does things that come across as over the top to address them- bull in the ring- but at least he is aware on some level.