Thread: Cut the Cord - On to the next solution

vCash

Cut the Cord - On to the next solution

Guess I'm going to try YoutubeTV.. since Playtstation Vue just announced they are killing its service on Jan 30th...
    Damnit...
    [tweet2]1189248303038382082[/tweet2]

vCash
    Let me know how it goes. I think I'm going to ditch Direct TV for YouTube TV soon too, but want to get a few opinions from people who have made the leap first.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Let me know how it goes. I think I'm going to ditch Direct TV for YouTube TV soon too, but want to get a few opinions from people who have made the leap first.
    I?ve had YouTube Tv for 6 mths and it has been great!
    Crystal clear, rarely any buffering issues and cut my bill in half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Guess I'm going to try YoutubeTV.. since Playtstation Vue just announced they are killing its service on Jan 30th...
    Damnit...
    [tweet2]1189248303038382082[/tweet2]
    What?!? I've had the Vue since its inception, and love it! Everyone I talk to about it thinks you have to have a PlayStation to use it... maybe that's why it wasn't as successful as it should've been? Should've called it Sony Vue. This sucks!

vCash
    I use sling tv for sports its great! I pay 38 monthly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post

Sticking with Vue until the end.. much like the SEC.. don't know what Longhorn games will get put on the LHN channel.. and that's not avilable on Youtube tv.
    Plus have to decide how much I really want some of the Scribb networks like Cooking Channel and DIY.. do I want to pick Philo back up for it or not. I know there is a show on A&E a friend of mine was on a month or so back and I haven't watched it yet since I don't have access to it.

vCash
    I've looked at it. What I see is a fad. I haven't found one single cord cut service that gives me any more over all for any cheaper than Direct did. I recently ditched them for CABLE. I'm paying about the same overall, but the internet speed is much better. I did that to get faster internet. WAY faster, 2.5 (ATT dsl) to 45. My guess is this will all shake out eventually like the MA Bell breakup did. We will get about what we had, at a much higher price.

vCash
    The dirty secret is the cutting cord saves no money over cable and you will likely have fewer channels unless you share logins...which I'm surprised has been cracked down on....I've been cord-free for a couple of years, but have never watched much network TV.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by viverlibre View Post
    The dirty secret is the cutting cord saves no money over cable and you will likely have fewer channels unless you share logins...which I'm surprised has been cracked down on....I've been cord-free for a couple of years, but have never watched much network TV.
    Whatever. My last year with Comcast I paid $129/mo. With Vue, I had every channel I wanted, including 3 ESPNs, NFL Network, SEC Network and all local channels for $50 / month. Had unlimited DVR and allowed up to 5 users to stream at the same time. RIP Vue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Whatever. My last year with Comcast I paid $129/mo. With Vue, I had every channel I wanted, including 3 ESPNs, NFL Network, SEC Network and all local channels for $50 / month. Had unlimited DVR and allowed up to 5 users to stream at the same time. RIP Vue.
    Question, did that Comcast bill include internet? How much do you pay for internet now? I was always able to get deep discounts on Comcast.

I'm a cord-cutter, I pay $70/month for CSpire Fiber if I paid for a streaming service that would add $25-$50/month. That would be $125/month, with Comcast (and a lot more channels - although I didn't watch them), I paid about that much for internet and cable. With fiber, my connection is a lot faster now though (i really don't all that extra speed though).

vCash
    Question, did that Comcast bill include internet? How much do you pay for internet now? I was always able to get deep discounts on Comcast.

I'm a cord-cutter, I pay $70/month for CSpire Fiber if I paid for a streaming service that would add $25-$50/month. That would be $125/month, with Comcast (and a lot more channels - although I didn't watch them), I paid about that much for internet and cable. With fiber, my connection is a lot faster now though (i really don't all that extra speed though).
    I pay $70 per month for AT&T fiber. I also had DirectTV Now which became AT&T streaming or whatever they called it. I originally got Directtv Now for $50 per month so $120 total. I had Comcast TV and Internet for $150 but had free Starz. My wife likes a show on Starz so when it was on, it was another $12 per month so $142. Basically no difference. AT&T raised the price to $55, $60, and now $70. I switched to Hulu Plus which is $45 but I have a few channels less including AMC but I do get the Hulu shows. I will probably try to get the Disney+Hulu package if it includes the Hulu Live.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I pay $70 per month for AT&T fiber. I also had DirectTV Now which became AT&T streaming or whatever they called it. I originally got Directtv Now for $50 per month so $120 total. I had Comcast TV and Internet for $150 but had free Starz. My wife likes a show on Starz so when it was on, it was another $12 per month so $142. Basically no difference. AT&T raised the price to $55, $60, and now $70. I switched to Hulu Plus which is $45 but I have a few channels less including AMC but I do get the Hulu shows. I will probably try to get the Disney+Hulu package if it includes the Hulu Live.
    I was about to give up DirecTv and go streaming about a year ago - called, and got them to bundle it with my AT&T internet for $140 a month. I'd had DTV for 18 years and never asked for a rate discount, figured what the hell. I plan on asking again when my year is up and it goes back to regular price.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I was about to give up DirecTv and go streaming about a year ago - called, and got them to bundle it with my AT&T internet for $140 a month. I'd had DTV for 18 years and never asked for a rate discount, figured what the hell. I plan on asking again when my year is up and it goes back to regular price.
    I did that with Comcast for about 4 years. I would have internet + TV for around $150, they would tell me the rate was going up to $220 or so. I would then tell them I was going to look at "insert streaming service name". They would then give me a new deal to keep me. It is annoying to have to do but it usually works especially if you have your bill on autopay and never have issues so no calls into customer service.

I moved to a new construction and unfortunately AT&T is my only option right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I've looked at it. What I see is a fad. I haven't found one single cord cut service that gives me any more over all for any cheaper than Direct did. I recently ditched them for CABLE. I'm paying about the same overall, but the internet speed is much better. I did that to get faster internet. WAY faster, 2.5 (ATT dsl) to 45. My guess is this will all shake out eventually like the MA Bell breakup did. We will get about what we had, at a much higher price.
    I'm saving $90+/month over DirecTV.

It took me a long time to switch, but it's worked out.

I guess it depends on what you watch. You get fewer channels. But how many of those do you watch? I'm not paying for CBS, and it's back catalog, but I get that with Hulu live. Don't pay for HBO or Showtime, but that's a wash between the extra cost on DirecTV.

I was paying $154 a month to get DirecTV on 4 TV's, with DVR and HD service for the cheapest package with ESPN and SEC Network. That's with $50 off for being a customer 20 years.

Hulu Live is $65 for 8 TV's, limited commercials, DVR.

I already had Netflix, Internet, and Amazon prime. I'll add Disney plus in a few days, but that won't add any more money (thanks Verizon) and will give me ESPN+ as well.

vCash

Speak for yourself. I pay right at half of what I used to pay for my Uverse cable. I could cut down more by shuffling HBO or Sometime on/ off depending on what I really wanted to watch.
    At most I'm missing 2 or 3 channels I would like to have and they aren't that essential.. as I previously mentioned, I could get them with Philo for $20 a month but they aren't that high priority.

Traditional cable is bloated with 200+ channels.. and I only "need" about 25... if that.

I think we are a ways away still from the next possible step of true ala cart. and I'm not sure of that is really in our best interest.

Senior Member HereComesTheSpiral's Avatar
    vCash
    FYI, Verizon customers get one free year of Disney+ that launched today.