Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Best catcher ever?

vCash

Best catcher ever?

Sitting here having a drunk conversation with HereComesTheSpiral and he says Yadier Molina is the best catcher ever. What are y'all's thoughts on this?

vCash
    He's up there, but you have to list Bench, Pudge, and Fisk ahead of Yadier right now. Fisk is the only one that is a question on my list. He had a very long career. Unusually long for a catcher.

vCash
    Johnny Bench is best all around in my memory going back to late 60's. Pudge and Pudge are right behind.

Banned
    vCash
    Bench or Pudge. Yadi could enter the discussion but he has to retain this offense for a while to get there

Banned
    vCash
    Katy Perry? Oh thought you said catcher's mitt

vCash
    Molina is up there, but Fisk and Bench created the modern catcher. There are 1 or 2 every generation that have impact like Yadi - Cochran, Berra, Munson, Bench, Fisk - and as much as I hate to admit (being a Braves fan) Piazza.

vCash
    Good call on Munson and Piazza. Both were terrific. Piazza revolutionized the position, offensively, as a catcher. Roy Campanella and Gary Carter should also be on the list.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Molina is up there, but Fisk and Bench created the modern catcher. There are 1 or 2 every generation that have impact like Yadi - Cochran, Berra, Munson, Bench, Fisk - and as much as I hate to admit (being a Braves fan) Piazza.
    What's our ranking based off of? Defense? Offense? Both? Piazza was a terrible defensive catcher but the best offensive one. Buster Posey has two rings already but he splits time at 1st.

Banned
    vCash
    Mauer and Yadi both came into the league in 2004. Yadi clearly is the better defensive catcher but Mauer has a career 44 WAR to Yadi's 29.

I think it's closer than that but if take Mauers career over his so far. Molina has the recent edge.

vCash
    Johnny Bench hands down.

vCash
    I'm talking calling a game, being the "General" on the field, and offensive production.

vCash
    Then it's Pudge Rodriguez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    What's our ranking based off of? Defense? Offense? Both? Piazza was a terrible defensive catcher but the best offensive one. Buster Posey has two rings already but he splits time at 1st.
    Think of impact on how the game is played overall and how the manager approaches the line up. If a catcher changes any of those approaches, then he ranks pretty high. But, just like any other position to figure out who is the best you have to look at both - or if they changed the way the position is played. Mickey Cochran was the first catcher to provide offense; Berra caught a dynasty, Munson was a leader; Bench changed defense by catching one handed and he hit; Fisk played forever and hit; Piazza hit like crazy - but everyone did in the PED era, Pudge Rodriguez and Molina did it all. That is the thing about baseball, each generation impacts the game and molds it in a new way. You can compare it, but there are so many variables that no one can ever settle the argument.

Banned
    vCash
    Buster Posey has 2 rings and a MVP in 4 years service time. Take him off the Giants and they don't win either WS. That said I give the nod to Molina. He is the leader of the Cards.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWillScrewItUp View Post
    Sitting here having a drunk conversation with HereComesTheSpiral and he says Yadier Molina is the best catcher ever. What are y'all's thoughts on this?
    What about my boy varitek?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by It_Could_Happen View Post
    You know I'm a Varitek fan but I'm talking best ever little buddy.

vCash
    I'll say this about Varitek - he may have been the best college catcher of the last 30 years. I saw him play at Tech a few times and he could dominate the game on O and D.

vCash
    Bench, no question.

vCash
    Bruce Benedict. (hoping he reads this and goes easy on us next year)