Thread: Mangum update

vCash

Mangum update

For those not able to keep up with it, figured I would give a Mangum update on his last week:

Mangum has his batting average up to .250 now. Highest it's been since July 3. He's reached base in 5 straight and 6 of his last 7.

He is playing every day and is still seemingly getting adjusted, but the past week has really been good. His batting average on July 6 was .190, so bringing it up to .250 is a good move in the right direction.

vCash
    Thanks for the update. I think we know roughly what Mangum's ceiling is offensively - we know he won't walk a ton, and I figure he won't ever hit for much power unless he overhauls his swing and approach. So he is going to have to keep his K's very low. If he can do that, he can be a .280-.300 hitter in the majors. That will probably still lead to an OPS only around .750 or so at the high end, but it's playable.

In addition to keeping his K's low, he is going to need to be a very good defensive CF. If he can be that, that offensive profile will play. If he is only around average, I'm not sure he'll ever be more than a bench guy...which certainly wouldn't be bad.

vCash
    .250/.298/.364
    Babip = .289
    K% = 12.77
    Bb% = 6.38

vCash
    His OBP is actually .313.

That BB rate isn't bad, if he can sustain that moving up. The K rate isn't bad, either, but probably needs to come down even further.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    His OBP is actually .313.

That BB rate isn't bad, if he can sustain that moving up. The K rate isn't bad, either, but probably needs to come down even further.
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe....asp?ID=200797

That's where I'm looking at the moment. I see they've finally got around to creating an milb page for him now. Weird they both have 44 AB.

44 AB + 3 BB + 0 IBB + 0 Sac + HBP = 47 PA

11 h + 3 bb/47 PA = .298 obp, right?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    http://www.thebaseballcube.com/playe....asp?ID=200797

That's where I'm looking at the moment. I see they've finally got around to creating an milb page for him now. Weird they both have 44 AB.

44 AB + 3 BB + 0 IBB + 0 Sac + HBP = 47 PA

11 h + 3 bb/47 PA = .298 obp, right?
    He has an HBP too. That gets you to 15/47 which is the .319

vCash
    He has BR and FG pages now, too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    He has an HBP too. That gets you to 15/47 which is the .319
    Thanks. Baseball cube missed it. Milb page doesn't list it. Fangraphs had it