Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Soccer Thread..........

vCash
    Bury were expelled from the Football League today, Bolton have 14 days to avoid the same fate. I don't know what happens next. I suppose they might land in non-league football, that's the 5th tier at the highest, but that's going to be very hard to do and support that club's infrastructure. It would be almost impossible for Bolton. Liverpool came very close to this under the disaster that was the previous ownership. It essentially happened to Rangers in Scotland. The Rangers of today are NOT the same club as before. That club was liquidated.

https://global.espn.com/football/eng...eover-collapse

vCash
    I know it isn't Premier League but Atlanta United won the US Open Cup last night over Minnesota United. It is an awesome experience if anyone is ever around Atlanta and want to experience a great sports atmosphere. I have been several times and I just want to go to a game in the Supporters Section. It looks like a great time.

vCash
    Potentially tricky tie away to Burnly.....3-0 to Liverpool. First clean sheet of the season.

vCash
    I went to a League Two game in England today, Swindon Town @ Cambridge United. Swindon won 1-0. Interesting experience and a fun two hours even if it was a sorry game. We contemplated going up to London tomorrow to go to Chelsea-Liverpool but away tickets were 350 pounds plus fees in their equivalent of Stubhub. We were sitting 2nd row about 10 seats from the home bench in Cambridge. I bought the tickets two weeks ago from the club for 15 pounds each. Did I mention Cambridge only missed relegation to non-league football by one spot and one point last year? LOL! In fairness they were 8th going into today. Unfortunately Swindon were 4th and it showed. Cambridge's wide players were not good going forward. Swindon shut down the middle. Cambridge had only a couple of good chances but both were saved, one spectacularly. Swindon only had about four themselves, but they took one and that was the game.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-21-2019 at 02:54 PM.

vCash
    Chelski 1 Liverpool 2. I watched it in a pub in Cambridge that was either Chelsea or hostilely neutral. Interesting experience! Great win for the Reds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I went to a League Two game in England today, Swindon Town @ Cambridge United. Swindon won 1-0. Interesting experience and a fun two hours even if it was a sorry game. We contemplated going up to London tomorrow to go to Chelsea-Liverpool but away tickets were 350 pounds plus fees in their equivalent of Stubhub. We were sitting 2nd row about 10 seats from the home bench in Cambridge. I bought the tickets two weeks ago from the club for 15 pounds each. Did I mention Cambridge only missed relegation to non-league football by one spot and one point last year? LOL! In fairness they were 8th going into today. Unfortunately Swindon were 4th and it showed. Cambridge's wide players were not good going forward. Swindon shut down the middle. Cambridge had only a couple of good chances but both were saved, one spectacularly. Swindon only had about four themselves, but they took one and that was the game.
    So how does the atmosphere in the lower leagues compare to college football?

vCash
    #EmeryOut He's clueless and actually made us worse than under Wenger, despite having superior talent. The dude has no clue how to improve a defense, but he makes up for it by having a really terrible offense. That takes a helluva lot of skill, especially when you have arguably the best striker in the PL on your team.

To be fair, Arsenal's side of mostly kids crushed Forest 5-0 in the Carabao Cup today. It was arguably the most enjoyable game we've played under Emery. That said, he's got to go and the sooner the better. If he doesn't go, we're going to blow a golden opportunity to finish in the top 3-4 with Sp*rs being Sp*rs and Chelski & ManUre arguably being bigger dumpster fires than Arsenal at the moment.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So how does the atmosphere in the lower leagues compare to college football?
    It was pretty good, it would have been better had the home team won. Crowd was about4k

vCash
    I'll come back with a little more in a couple of days. We just got back home and I'm wiped out.

vCash
    The atmosphere at the League Two game was pretty good. The stadium holds about 8k, about half of it terraced standing room. There were between 4 and 5 k there. There were four stands in the typical English style. Two stands were standing only. One of those, the bigger of the two, was half closed off. The remaining half was half full. The other one behind one of the goals was where their hard core support stood. It was pretty full. The bigger of the seated stands, where we were, was about 3/4 full. The others was half closed and the open part was half full of away supporters. It was a crappy game so neither set of fans was able to really get into it, though they tried. Both sets did the typical English singing. The home supporters around us got pretty restless and as we were very close to the bench they started getting in the manager. The favorite word is 17. The guy behind us was like 17 this, 17 that, 17 me, etc. He was pretty funny. Like I said in the above post the wide game going forward for Cambridge was terrible. The guy yelled out one time "If you aren't going to use it over here Colin (the manager's name) don't let all that space go to waste. Plant some vegetables for 17's sake." A little later on a winger named Jones finally tried to run down our side. The wit behind me yelled out, "Mind the carrots Jones!" There was a lot of stuff like that. The away supporters had a great time as the game wound down and after. We enjoyed it.

vCash
    As for the Liverpool-Chelski game in the pub.....it was fun too.....but with a catch. We were out doing things on Sunday and got in in time to go to a pub to watch the second half. It wasn't carried on the TV at the hotel. Par for the course there. I wasn't planning around getting back in time to see the game so I didn't really think about what I had on. It was raining so I had on a black rain jacket zipped up when we went in. I forgot about the red t-shirt I had on. It was a generic T but still. Even after I realized what kind of crowd we were in I still gave no thought to the shirt. It was only after I had said something to my son that was quietly pro Liverpool and he told me to be quiet that I remembered the shirt. I had taken off the jacket......I sort of slid it back on. No problems really as Cambridge is a laid back, cosmopolitan place...but still. It IS in England and I appeared to be the only Liverpool supporter in the place. Fun stuff!
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 09-26-2019 at 09:32 PM.

vCash
    The atmosphere at the League Two game was pretty good. The stadium holds about 8k, about half of it terraced standing room. There were between 4 and 5 k there. There were four stands in the typical English style. Two stands were standing only. One of those, the bigger of the two, was half closed off. The remaining half was half full. The other one behind one of the goals was where their hard core support stood. It was pretty full. The bigger of the seated stands, where we were, was about 3/4 full. The others was half closed and the open part was half full of away supporters. It was a crappy game so neither set of fans was able to really get into it, though they tried. Both sets did the typical English singing. The home supporters around us got pretty restless and as we were very close to the bench they started getting in the manager. The favorite word is 17. The guy behind us was like 17 this, 17 that, 17 me, etc. He was pretty funny. Like I said in the above post the wide game going forward for Cambridge was terrible. The guy yelled out one time "If you aren't going to use it over here Colin (the manager's name) don't let all that space go to waste. Plant some vegetables for 17's sake." A little later on a winger named Jones finally tried to run down our side. The wit behind me yelled out, "Mind the carrots Jones!" There was a lot of stuff like that. The away supporters had a great time as the game wound down and after. We enjoyed it.
    I just traveled to Europe for the first time this year (Ireland) and I noticed a lot of people say 17. Our tour guide said that everyone says it and it doesn't have the stigma like in the US. Sounds like a good time. We want to go to London within the next two years and I hope to get a Premier League game in. I would love to compare it to Atlanta United (best MLS atmosphere) although I haven't got into the Supporters Section yet in Atlanta.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I just traveled to Europe for the first time this year (Ireland) and I noticed a lot of people say 17. Our tour guide said that everyone says it and it doesn't have the stigma like in the US. Sounds like a good time. We want to go to London within the next two years and I hope to get a Premier League game in. I would love to compare it to Atlanta United (best MLS atmosphere) although I haven't got into the Supporters Section yet in Atlanta.
    I don't know about the atmosphere at a better/bigger game, but the game itself is much better than MLS in the upper English divisions. After watching the League Two game I'd say it wasn't much, if any, below MLS. Prices for the EPL are all over the place. There were two games we could have made in London. One was Liverpool-Chelski. On the resale market there were seats in the Chelsea sections for about 250 pounds. I obviously would have had to have away tickets, no way I could have kept quiet at that one. Those were 350. Throw in train and tube tickets and it would have been close to 425 pounds each for the day, not counting food/drink. For the two of us who would have gone it would have been at least a 1000 pound ($1250) day. That was just too much with everything else we were spending on the trip. We also could have gone to Wolves at Crystal Palace. Those tickets were around 85-125 pounds. We seriously considered this. Palace is one of my other teams. The reason we settled on Cambridge was it was about a 30 minute walk to the stadium from the hotel, and the price. We still had most of the day to do other things. Going to Crystal Palace would have blown the whole day. Cambridge is about an hour by train from London but Crystal Palace is in South London, almost directly on the other side of the metro area from Cambridge. We would have been looking at at least another 40 minutes or so on the tube from Kings Cross Station. It would have blown the whole day. If you do go don't limit yourself to the EPL. There are a LOT of lower level clubs in London and close by. Also don't forget about the Cups. We went to a League Cup game at a League One team the last time we were over.

vCash
    I don't know about the atmosphere at a better/bigger game, but the game itself is much better than MLS in the upper English divisions. After watching the League Two game I'd say it wasn't much, if any, below MLS. Prices for the EPL are all over the place. There were two games we could have made in London. One was Liverpool-Chelski. On the resale market there were seats in the Chelsea sections for about 250 pounds. I obviously would have had to have away tickets, no way I could have kept quiet at that one. Those were 350. Throw in train and tube tickets and it would have been close to 425 pounds each for the day, not counting food/drink. For the two of us who would have gone it would have been at least a 1000 pound ($1250) day. That was just too much with everything else we were spending on the trip. We also could have gone to Wolves at Crystal Palace. Those tickets were around 85-125 pounds. We seriously considered this. Palace is one of my other teams. The reason we settled on Cambridge was it was about a 30 minute walk to the stadium from the hotel, and the price. We still had most of the day to do other things. Going to Crystal Palace would have blown the whole day. Cambridge is about an hour by train from London but Crystal Palace is in South London, almost directly on the other side of the metro area from Cambridge. We would have been looking at at least another 40 minutes or so on the tube from Kings Cross Station. It would have blown the whole day. If you do go don't limit yourself to the EPL. There are a LOT of lower level clubs in London and close by. Also don't forget about the Cups. We went to a League Cup game at a League One team the last time we were over.
    We have never been to London so I hope that I can schedule something we were planning on doing that might be close to any stadium. I am not a real fan of any Premier League team. I kind of follow Chelsea because one of my friends lived over there for a while and was close to the stadium. He became a fan just because he could walk there and he is the only other person I know that even watches it. I rarely watch an entire game unless it isn't conflicting with something else on Saturday morning but watch highlights most of the time.

vCash
    Anywhere in London is accessible by tube.

vCash
    Well, that was ugly. It was also a League winning type performance. You HAVE to win these "find a way" type games to win the league. We found a way. Hats off to the Blades, they played very well. One mistake by one guy cost them the point. Sheffield United 0 Liverpool 1

vCash
    Maybe I'm not a true fan of MSU. I'm second generation, my son is third. All alums. I have, however seen MSU win quite a bit in football, baseball, and both women's and men's basketball, at times. I BLEED MAROON. I've seen my old HS win everything they can win in at least four sports, multiple times in each. I BLEED MROON THERE TOO.
    I've seen Liverpool win every trophy that matters since I've been a fan (1994-5 or so)………….except........the one that REALLY matters. TODAY WAS FREAKING HUGE. My blood is RED there. To win the best and most competitive league in the world top to bottom, you have to win games like we did today. YNWA!

vCash
    That challenge on Salah was criminal. How that wasn't a red I'll never know. I hope he isn't hurt bad.

vCash
    MONUMENTAL WIN! Leicester City are a bunch of thugs. I never thought I'd see a Brendan Rogers team act like that.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    MONUMENTAL WIN! Leicester City are a bunch of thugs. I never thought I'd see a Brendan Rogers team act like that.
    To be fair, it was chippy both ways. And your fans were trash with Choudhury. No excuse for the racist comments.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner