Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019-2020 Soccer Thread..........

vCash

2019-2020 Soccer Thread..........

The name change reflects that a lot of stuff besides the EPL gets talked about in this thread.

The silly season is well underway. I see about 2 dozen Liverpool rumors every morning on my news feeds. There has been nothing earth shattering yet really for anyone. The biggest news so far isn't that much of a surprise and it came out today. Raffa is leaving Newcastle after he and the ownership couldn't come to terms on renewal of his contract. Newcastle can't get out of their own way.

vCash
    Well, Newcastle has gone from potentially being rid of their asshole owner to being rid of Rafa because their asshole owner wouldn't meet his demands. The first few games at St. James this season are going to be glorious assuming the fan base hasn't finally been broken
    Far Moorhead yaw

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    Well, Newcastle has gone from potentially being rid of their asshole owner to being rid of Rafa because their asshole owner wouldn't meet his demands. The first few games at St. James this season are going to be glorious assuming the fan base hasn't finally been broken
    I work with a Newcastle guy - literally, born and raised there. He is livid. When I asked about it, he started speaking geordie he was so mad. Couldn't make out a damn word.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Newcastle has nearly all the ingredients to be a contender: big stadium (by EPL standards); a large, fanatical fanbase; they are a LOT of people's second favorite team; they even have a cool "IN" city to play in. The front office management and ownership is just awful. I remember when Kevin Keegan had them on top 10 points clear at Christmas. It looked like they were going to do it, and then Keegan and the team wilted under the relentless pressure of a charging Manchester United in their prime and Sir Alex's mind games. Newcastle have yet to recover.

I guess the other big one so far was Hazard, but then that was expected too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Newcastle has nearly all the ingredients to be a contender: big stadium (by EPL standards); a large, fanatical fanbase; they are a LOT of people's second favorite team; they even have a cool "IN" city to play in. The front office management and ownership is just awful. I remember when Kevin Keegan had them on top 10 points clear at Christmas. It looked like they were going to do it, and then Keegan and the team wilted under the relentless pressure of a charging Manchester United in their prime and Sir Alex's mind games. Newcastle have yet to recover.

I guess the other big one so far was Hazard, but then that was expected too.
    There's no reason other than totally incompetent ownership that Newcastle can't be in Everton's tier on the PL hierarchy. But so far this they've failed to re-sign a world class manager who wanted to stay at the club due to penny pinching
    They failed to sign a quality striker (Rondon) who wanted to stay at the club on a permanent deal due to penny pinching
    They lost their top scorer to fricking Leicester, another club on an ever growing list of clubs who should not have more spending power than Newcastle but does. And certainly shouldn't be able to pluck our best player from us
    They've yet to add any players in this window, let alone a quality player
    And to cap it all off, they supposedly tried to pay Sheffield Wednesday $6m for the old dinosaur known as Steve Bruce to be the new manager. But even he, who is from the northeast and probably won't ever get another chance in the PL, is balking on the terms of the contract and/or the promises being made to him.
    Far Moorhead yaw

vCash
    So is anyone interested in another fantasy league this year?

vCash
    I'd be down for another fantasy league.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Arsenal are having quite the interesting summer. After weeks of no movement, everything has started to happen within the last week. We signed a young Brazilian prospect, Gabriel Martinelli. We've brought in William Saliba, but loaned him back to St. Etienne. I actually like the move. We've loaned Dani Ceballos from Real Madrid. And we've gotten a deal done for Nicolas Pepe from Lille. That could be officially announced as early as tomorrow. We're still looking for one more central defender and trying to get a deal over the line for Kieran Tierney from Celtic. I think the Tierney deal gets done, but time is pretty short to bring in another center half.

On the outgoing front, nothing really worth noting has happened yet. Club captain Laurent Koscielny has basically quit the club, refusing to go on the preseason tour to the US. Supposedly we had a meeting with his reps and officials from Rennes yesterday to try to get the situation resolved and move him on. We'd like to move ?zil, Mkhitaryan, Mustafi, Elneny and Jenkinson, but there's been virtually no chatter on anyone leaving. Then news broke yesterday that Monaco is interested in Mustafi. I'm a bit skeptical, but hoping it's real. He needs a fresh start somewhere else and Arsenal could use the funds. We're also likely to sell Krystian Bielik, although no one really understands why. He's got a good reputation, had a really good loan last year and plays in an area where we really need help. But supposedly Emery doesn't rate him, so he's on the chopping block. Word is he's attracting interest from several Championship clubs, notably Charlton where he was on loan last season and helped them earn promotion.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    I'd be down for another fantasy league.
    I might can get one or two other guys interested that aren't ED guys.

vCash
    If anyone is interested, I've got a league started. It's just me right now so feel free to join in- PM me for the invitation code!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    If anyone is interested, I've got a league started. It's just me right now so feel free to join in- PM me for the invitation code!
    I've never done one - but have done baseball for 20+ years. Can you tell me a little bit about how they work?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I've never done one - but have done baseball for 20+ years. Can you tell me a little bit about how they work?
    This one is fairly simple- it's only my 2nd time. Just register and fill up a team. 15 players and you play around with how much money you spend on each. 2 goalies, 5 defensemen, 5 midfielders, and 3 forwards. Then you can arrange your starting 11 however you want. You can get started at fantasy.premierleague.com for more details.

vCash
    If anyone is interested, here's the thing to join a league in fantasy PL.

Hi

I'm playing Fantasy Premier League in a league called HailStateDawgHouse. Why not join me?

The code to join this league is: naq9se

Enjoy the game!

vCash
    So what is Chelsea doing exactly? It seems like they got Christian and are now tearing the team apart. Losing Hazard and Luiz is some tough losses. I just casually follow it so I was curious why they are going through this.

vCash
    Great first half but if we lost Allison for any length of time, there goes any shot at the league. You will have to be dang near perfect to top City, and Allison was the best keeper in the league.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    So what is Chelsea doing exactly? It seems like they got Christian and are now tearing the team apart. Losing Hazard and Luiz is some tough losses. I just casually follow it so I was curious why they are going through this.
    Chelski's real problem is that Roman Abromavitch can't get a U.K. VISA anymore. He is buddies with Putin and since the fall out from the assassination in Salisbury Putin's buddies aren't welcome in the U.K. He isn't spending like he did. I also expect the fact that even he can't out cheat Manchester City now when it comes to the FFP rules took some of the fun out of it for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Hazard was ready to go. They sold him this summer because they were going to lose him for free next summer. He also wanted to go last summer or the summer before but they didn't sell him, and he didn't make a fuss about it, refuse to play or anything like that so I feel like there was a degree of respect involved.

David Luiz is 32 years old and I think Chelsea usually has a policy of not resigning 30+ year old players, so it was strange that they resigned him to begin with. Then Lampard came in and didn't promise him 1st team minutes and he asked to leave.

Then of course they can't bring in any replacements with the transfer ban. Chelsea might be in trouble over the next few seasons.
    Far Moorhead yaw

vCash
    City and Sprurs.....fantastic game. VAR strikes again in a match between these two. It finished 2-2 after City had a goal in the 92nd minute disallowed due to the new handball rule, and it was found by the video ref. Liverpool's stand in keeper is a comedy show, but he does make some decent saves. His gaffs haven't cost us....YET. Hurry back Allison!

vCash
    Liverpool 3 Arsenal 1. First top of the table clash of the season.