Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Defense will take a major step back

vCash

Defense will take a major step back

Last night the sec had 7 1st round defensive picks; we had 3 of them. We will have other picks too. We also lose players that won't be drafted, but are good players.

vCash
    But we are returning all of our wide receivers so we should be elite on offense right?***

vCash
    It's so funny now days, for so long Mullen was documented as a lazy recruiter.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    He was..
    you can thank Coach Austin and Rod Gibson for the juco class that is going to pump out these NFL guys.
    And Mullen had very little involvement with recruiting the defensive side of the ball. He let position coaches recruit their guys.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Mullen was good at the evaluation part, but maybe not so much the relationship part. It seems Gonzo and Hev caught more heat than Mullen.

2 of the 3 first rounders were juco guys. You have to take advantage of the jucos at MSU.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Last night the sec had 7 1st round defensive picks; we had 3 of them. We will have other picks too. We also lose players that won't be drafted, but are good players.
    As for our defense, I like our back 7. But none of that matters if teams can just run right up the middle like Rivers did in the spring game against our 1's. And things aren't looking so good on the DT transfer front.

vCash
    Happens every year to every school.
    There is still a bunch of talent on defense .. and a handful of big time nfl prospects
    You just can’t replace a Jeffery simmons type player .. But getting Spencer back and having Rivers in the starting role the drop off at DE won’t be near as bad as people think

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    As for our defense, I like our back 7. But none of that matters if teams can just run right up the middle like Rivers did in the spring game against our 1's. And things aren't looking so good on the DT transfer front.
    I think we have potential in the back 7 for sure, but how much did sweat and Simmons help them last year? How much will we miss a 1st round safety in that group?

vCash
    I think we have potential in the back 7 for sure, but how much did sweat and Simmons help them last year? How much will we miss a 1st round safety in that group?
    I think Cole and Dantzler will help. Landrews I think can handle the load at safety. We will see. Pickering will have to come in and be an immediate impact for us. Our LBs are going to help in run defense because of how athletic and talented they are. The edges should be fine.

vCash
    I'm not going to say that Brian Cole is going to be a first rounder, but there's not going to be much of a drop off there. Landrews is back healthy. Marcus Murphy is talented with experience now, and CJ Morgan Walker did well at the end of the season. Our safety group as a whole is going to be very good. We have 2 good starters at corner. All of our LB's are back. Willie Gay and Erroll are future pros. We have 4 good players at DE, not explosive players like Sweat, but 4 good college football players. DT is the only weakness, but it's a big one.

vCash
    Defensive Names to look for next year with 1st Round Pick Potential in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Brian Cole
    2. Willie Gay Jr.
    3. Leo Lewis
    4. Erroll Thompson
    5. Chauncey Rivers
    6. Cam Dantzler

These guys have every opportunity to make a move next year. Saying we are going to take a big step back defensively is ignorant.

We also have Fabian Lovett, Nathan Pickering, and Lee Autry to pick up the void on the DL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by defiantdog View Post
    Defensive Names to look for next year with 1st Round Pick Potential in NO PARTICULAR ORDER:

1. Brian Cole
    2. Willie Gay Jr.
    3. Leo Lewis
    4. Erroll Thompson
    5. Chauncey Rivers
    6. Cam Dantzler

These guys have every opportunity to make a move next year. Saying we are going to take a big step back defensively is ignorant.

We also have Fabian Lovett, Nathan Pickering, and Lee Autry to pick up the void on the DL.
    We were 1st in total defense and 2nd in scoring defense nationally. I say a big drop would be falling into the 20s in either. Tell you what, I'll make you a bet... if we stay inside top 15 in both, I'll donate $100 to board and if we don't stay in top 15 in both, you donate $100 to the board. I'll back up my "ignorant" talk. Will you?

vCash
    We were 1st in total defense and 2nd in scoring defense nationally. I say a big drop would be falling into the 20s in either. Tell you what, I'll make you a bet... if we stay inside top 15 in both, I'll donate $100 to board and if we don't stay in top 15 in both, you donate $100 to the board. I'll back up my "ignorant" talk. Will you?
    Absolutely..... pin it

vCash

1. Brian Cole
    2. Willie Gay Jr.
    3. Leo Lewis
    4. Erroll Thompson
    5. Chauncey Rivers
    6. Cam Dantzler

Everyone on this board has about the same amount of NFL 1st round pick potential as Leo Lewis. Agree that the others you listed have that potential.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    I'm not going to say that Brian Cole is going to be a first rounder, but there's not going to be much of a drop off there. Landrews is back healthy. Marcus Murphy is talented with experience now, and CJ Morgan Walker did well at the end of the season. Our safety group as a whole is going to be very good. We have 2 good starters at corner. All of our LB's are back. Willie Gay and Erroll are future pros. We have 4 good players at DE, not explosive players like Sweat, but 4 good college football players. DT is the only weakness, but it's a big one.
    Cole is better than Abrams. Before his injury he was the defensive star in the secondary. He can do everything Abrams did and some.

vCash
    You still have a 1st round talent at Safety with Cole

vCash
    Absolutely..... pin it
    If it happens, I'll certainly be impressed. It'll be the first time in shoop's career to do it two years in a row.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Everyone on this board has about the same amount of NFL 1st round pick potential as Leo Lewis. Agree that the others you listed have that potential.
    I think y'all may be underestimating how tough it is to be a 1st round draft pick. Guys like polite, greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, and isaiah Buggs are still on the board.

vCash
    Absolutely..... pin it
    Bad bet!!!! We won't come close to being a top 15 defense in either category...it is very, very difficult with our schedule, in our conference to be ranked high in either category.

For comparison starting back from 2018 and going to 2010, here is how we've ranked in both:
    Scoring defense: 1, 26, 93, 36, 23, 33, 34, 16, and 21.
    Total defense: 1, 10, 110, 56, 86, 18, 53, 35, and 49

Quote Originally Posted by RiverCityDawg View Post
    Couldn't agree with you more. I'm personally tired of the Leo hype train. He has yet to show any type of progression up to this point that, sad to say, his potential has to be called into question. I hate to do that, but he just doesn't seem to have it.

vCash
    I think y'all may be underestimating how tough it is to be a 1st round draft pick. Guys like polite, greedy Williams, Mack Wilson, and isaiah Buggs are still on the board.
    Jachai is short and lazy, Buggs will be drafted in the 3rd at the earliest because he's not as explosive as a lot of guys ahead of him, I think Greedy hurt himself by only competing in the 40 at the combine.