Page 62 of 148 FirstFirst ... 1252606162636472112 ... LastLast
Results 1,221 to 1,240 of 2950

Thread: THE 2020 MSU Football Recruiting Talk Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msu15 View Post
    Who you cutting?
    I don't know. I just think that's too many jucos in 1 year unless you plan on RSing some. Joe hasn't called for my opinion though haha

I do like going after jucos, and I'd like 4-5 every class if that many good ones are available. I just think 8-10 is excessive

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I don't know. I just think that's too many jucos in 1 year unless you plan on RSing some. Joe hasn't called for my opinion though haha

I do like going after jucos, and I'd like 4-5 every class if that many good ones are available. I just think 8-10 is excessive
    To me this highlights some of the depth holes that JoMo inherited.

I think we are all in agreement that this year especially, but next year as well we have a severe lack of quality depth. If we want to compete in the SEC we are going to have to have quality depth and one of the quickest ways to fill holes is through JUCO, especially early in your career.

JoMo has shown he's not afraid to get some JUCO, get some transfers, and try to make it work. I'm cool with that. I think those numbers will eventually go down until he's got his guys and his system. But for now he's gonna have to comb some JUCOs to fill holes. Dan wouldn't do that and it showed when every year there were 1-2 positions far inferior to the others. JoMo is trying to avoid that and I applaud his efforts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    To me this highlights some of the depth holes that JoMo inherited.

I think we are all in agreement that this year especially, but next year as well we have a severe lack of quality depth. If we want to compete in the SEC we are going to have to have quality depth and one of the quickest ways to fill holes is through JUCO, especially early in your career.

JoMo has shown he's not afraid to get some JUCO, get some transfers, and try to make it work. I'm cool with that. I think those numbers will eventually go down until he's got his guys and his system. But for now he's gonna have to comb some JUCOs to fill holes. Dan wouldn't do that and it showed when every year there were 1-2 positions far inferior to the others. JoMo is trying to avoid that and I applaud his efforts.
    I just looked at the roster, and we have 10 players listed as sophomores. I guess all the jucos are to help fill out that sophomore level.

vCash
    You'll almost certainly see 1-2 of the JUCOs redshirt for some reason or another. I do agree we are taking a lot but they mostly all appear to be guys who could easily be contributors.

vCash
    I just looked at the roster, and we have 10 players listed as sophomores. I guess all the jucos are to help fill out that sophomore level.
    Yeah, the 2017 class created some holes to fill. They are either Juniors or RS-Soph. Out of 25 signees we had 9 JUCOs, had 4 not make it to campus, and 4 guys who didn't red shirt. That means only 8 from that class are Sophomores (I think 2 of your 10 are true sophomores). That's a low number.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash

Odds are Patterson won’t be in the class, and wouldn’t be shocked if Anderson- Butts isn’t either. Also I really hope we can hang on to Benjamin Key..
    Also I could see Ducking getting RS

And if you look at the juco class in 2017 we took 9 jucos , Pope transferred out . That turned out pretty good...

vCash
    Yep. That class was extremely light on quality and numbers. Top 5 in that class are great. But after that, Sweat is the only other guy that stands out. Landrews and Cole have their shot to stand out, but the rest of that class is pretty bad.

As a side note, here's some fun comparison. The 2017 and the 2019 class both finished 24th overall. Here are some comparisons:

Average star rating - .8611
    SEC Rank - 9th
    Committed - 25
    Enrollees - 21

Average star ranking - .8864
    SEC Rank - 11th
    Committed - 21
    Enrollees - 20 (Last one should be in bun august)

So if you compare that class Moorhead brought in, we are going to bring in as many as Mullen did in 2017. But the average star ranking is 2.5 point higher. But that was good for 2 spots lower in conference. Just some interesting comparisons.

vCash
    Yep. That class was extremely light on quality and numbers. Top 5 in that class are great. But after that, Sweat is the only other guy that stands out. Landrews and Cole have their shot to stand out, but the rest of that class is pretty bad.

As a side note, here's some fun comparison. The 2017 and the 2019 class both finished 24th overall. Here are some comparisons:

SEC Rank - 9th
    Committed - 25
    Enrollees - 21

SEC Rank - 11th
    Committed - 21

So if you compare that class Moorhead brought in, we are going to bring in as many as Mullen did in 2017. But the average star ranking is 2.5 point higher. But that was good for 2 spots lower in conference. Just some interesting comparisons.
    I will be thrilled if 2019 turns out as well as 2017. 2017 already has 2 1st rounders in nfl draft with gay, hill, rivers, and Cole likely to be drafted. 6 NFL players with 2 being elite is one heck of a class

vCash

SEC Rank - 9th
    Committed - 25
    Enrollees - 21

SEC Rank - 11th
    Committed - 21

Sweat, Abram, Cole, landrews, Rivers... all of these are big time pickups
    Phillips will prob start this year at RT and Champion is a key back up
    Had to edit post... forgot about Autry who will play a big role this year

This juco class may not be as good as that one , but I will be surprised if it’s not far off.

I’m all for getting as many high school kids as possible , but there is no way we can pass up on sec caliber and possible nfl talent from the juco ranks ...
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 06-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ari Gold View Post

This juco class may not be as good as that one , but I will be surprised if it’s not far off.

I’m all for getting as many high school kids as possible , but there is no way we can pass up on sec caliber and possible nfl talent from the juco ranks ...
    Agreed
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 06-28-2019 at 09:29 AM.

vCash
    Had to edit post... forgot about Autry who will play a big role this year

Completely agree. Sweat was an absolute game changer. If you can sign anyone even remotely close to his talent level out of JUCO, you do it.

I just want more class depth and production. That class is gonna have about 9-10 guys make a legit contribution. To me that's just not enough. Like I said, the Top 5 in that class are massive talents. Outside of that, Sweat is really the only one that's done anything meaningful on the field. Landrews and Cole a little. But after that, really nothing. We need the 2019 class to have about 13-15 guys make big time contributions.

vCash
    Completely agree. Sweat was an absolute game changer. If you can sign anyone even remotely close to his talent level out of JUCO, you do it.

I just want more class depth and production. That class is gonna have about 9-10 guys make a legit contribution. To me that's just not enough. Like I said, the Top 5 in that class are massive talents. Outside of that, Sweat is really the only one that's done anything meaningful on the field. Landrews and Cole a little. But after that, really nothing. We need the 2019 class to have about 13-15 guys make big time contributions.
    I have a feeling you are going to be pleasantly surprised with the production of Rivers , Cole , Landrews and Phillips this year .. esp Rivers and Cole ...

vCash
    I have a feeling you are going to be pleasantly surprised with the production of Rivers , Cole , Landrews and Phillips this year .. esp Rivers and Cole ...
    Well Rivers was in that group of Top 5 in that 2017 class. And I love Cole and Landrews. I think they will both make huge impacts this year. My point is that right there is only 8 guys from this class making an impact if you include the Top 5 from 2017, Cole, Landrews, and Sweat.

We have to have more than 8 guys make a decent impact on our team from a recruiting class. Phillips would be huge for us if he comes through. But you look at names like Dunning, Austin and Tyler Williams, Suggs, Powers Warren, Odom, Pope, Champion, and Jackson that have basically done nothing for us and that's what is killing that class and our ability to compete at a high level. My hope is going forward we can continue to get those top of the line guys like Hill and Gay, but that the middle and bottom of our class make more of an impact.

vCash
    Odom's older brother never materialized into anything. He signed with Saban a LSU and I don't think he ever played a down. I hold out hope for the younger Odom still though.

vCash
    Odom was an outstanding HS player. I would have signed him. As for the OL from that class, they really haven't had enough time to contribute. It generally takes longer for those guys, unless they are elite.

Dan had an unbalanced roster at times. He ignored DL recruiting a couple of cycles earlier in his tenure and we paid for it. I also remember when he had all slot receivers for our receiving corp.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    I don?t think we get Jarrett. He may visit, but he?s probably going to TN.
    How in the hell did they get in the game with him?

vCash
    Well Rivers was in that group of Top 5 in that 2017 class. And I love Cole and Landrews. I think they will both make huge impacts this year. My point is that right there is only 8 guys from this class making an impact if you include the Top 5 from 2017, Cole, Landrews, and Sweat.

We have to have more than 8 guys make a decent impact on our team from a recruiting class. Phillips would be huge for us if he comes through. But you look at names like Dunning, Austin and Tyler Williams, Suggs, Powers Warren, Odom, Pope, Champion, and Jackson that have basically done nothing for us and that's what is killing that class and our ability to compete at a high level. My hope is going forward we can continue to get those top of the line guys like Hill and Gay, but that the middle and bottom of our class make more of an impact.
    Williams, Suggs, Odom, Jackson And Williams still have time to make an impact.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    Williams, Suggs, Odom, Jackson And Williams still have time to make an impact.
    No kidding. Writing off kids that just finished their redshirt freshman year is insane.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jarius View Post
    No kidding. Writing off kids that just finished their redshirt freshman year is insane.
    Haven't written them off. But how much of an impact will those guys make this year? The answer is very similar to last year. Close to zero. So they will go through their RS sophomore year with little to no impact. Other than QB, if you are worth your salt, you usually find the field and make some impact by year 3 unless you are just stuck behind a bunch of really really good guys. But even then, you can usually find the 2 deep.

I don't see that happening from anyone in this group honestly. That's concerning.

vCash
    There hasn’t been one single game played yet. How are you so certain none of these players are going to contribute?