Page 55 of 148 FirstFirst ... 545535455565765105 ... LastLast
Results 1,081 to 1,100 of 2950

Thread: THE 2020 MSU Football Recruiting Talk Thread

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    That's adding at least 6 (or jumps) and we have 19 commits at the moment. I don't even pretend to know the recruiting circuit as well as you, but I do think that's a very rosy outlook. I'd feel comfortable taking the under on 7 4-stars
    That's fair. I do have the list in my head though it wasn't just an arbitrary #.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    And I'll be happy if that's the case. That would mean we are on pace to compete.

And fwiw, I don't think the thread went off the rails at all. I think this is a very very worthy discussion.

We come to message boards to discuss and debate. Not just read a commit list
    Considering they kept saying this thread was just supposed to be about prospects info that's why I said it. Not the overall discussion where it was being held.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    I think 7 is a good O/U for this year-Marks is on the list.
    Dean and Brown have a strong chance to be 4*s before it is all said and done due to exposure.
    Tea leaves read pretty strong for us to land Dillon Johnson and Tulu.
    I think Heath is going to be a 4*, definitely had the pedigree. Most think we lead there, but I'm a little concerned he remains uncommited. Jordan Davis is a 4* and we are in the thick of it there.
    I think we are definitely in the game for Xavier Hill and he is going to end up being a 4*.Same goes for Eason who is already a 4*. Selmon could get a bump back to 4*s if he's healthy and improves this season.
    That's 10 guys right there. Wouldn't be shocked if one of the JuCo DL we have committed shows out this fall and gets re-ranked. The guys are out there to get to that number. A lot of it is going to depend on how we look this year.
    sounds like we all saying the same thing

vCash
    Go back and look at our 247 individual player rankings in the last 10 cycles and come up with your own conclusions about stars. It will open your eyes. I can tell you that the system is flawed due to a disinterest for the vast number of MS products by city slicker reporters. Plus, there's also the MSU recruit ranking "dip" that still plagues our class rankings, before and after each cycle has concluded. At least before you disregard our 3 star players, lease consider what our individual player rankings would be for the lot of these guys, if they had hailed from Texas. Remember what BMac and Abrams where ranked out of high school, and what Sweat and Slay were ranked as MSU commits??

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Go back and look at our 247 individual player rankings in the last 10 cycles and come up with your own conclusions about stars. It will open your eyes. I can tell you that the system is flawed due to a disinterest for the vast number of MS products by city slicker reporters. Plus, there's also the MSU recruit ranking "dip" that still plagues our class rankings, before and after each cycle has concluded. At least before you disregard our 3 star players, lease consider what our individual player rankings would be for the lot of these guys, if they had hailed from Texas. Remember what BMac and Abrams where ranked out of high school, and what Sweat and Slay were ranked as MSU commits??
    I'm not sure that people that make this argument quite understand what we are saying.

Yes, there are many many underrated players on our commit list & there is absolutely a bias against Mississippi players in the rankings. Absolutely no one here is denying that. However, can you compete for the SEC West with an entire class of underrated players?

I don't think so & history tells us that you cannot.

This is not an individual player discussion. It's about big data & taking the entire class at face value.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'm not sure that people that make this argument quite understand what we are saying.

Yes, there are many many underrated players on our commit list & there is absolutely a bias against Mississippi players in the rankings. Absolutely no one here is denying that. However, can you compete for the SEC West with an entire class of underrated players?

This is not an individual player discussion. It's about big data & taking the entire class at face value.
    No you can't make a roster of that. But you can change the perception of a program by ranking guys appropriately. Think about how many 3 star talents could have been 4 stars and changed our ranking or our perception.

Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star. Now because of the distance between us and #25 that year (Roughly 5.5 points) it might not have changed our ranking nationally. But might have made it close.

2017 is the one that to me could have changed the perception. Abram was a 3 star 89 overall, Sweat was an 86, Day was a 2 star 79 overall. All 3 of those should have been ranked higher regardless of how they finished this last year. We finished 9 points behind UCLA for 20th. Could that have been a Top 20 class? Very possible.

Those changes could make big perception changes for us as a whole.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    No you can't make a roster of that. But you can change the perception of a program by ranking guys appropriately. Think about how many 3 star talents could have been 4 stars and changed our ranking or our perception.

Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star. Now because of the distance between us and #25 that year (Roughly 5.5 points) it might not have changed our ranking nationally. But might have made it close.

2017 is the one that to me could have changed the perception. Abram was a 3 star 89 overall, Sweat was an 86, Day was a 2 star 79 overall. All 3 of those should have been ranked higher regardless of how they finished this last year. We finished 9 points behind UCLA for 20th. Could that have been a Top 20 class? Very possible.

Those changes could make big perception changes for us as a whole.
    That works both ways, I remember when Paul and Robbie got Traver Jung rated as a 4 star, lol. I had to quit the boards after they eliminated 2 star rankings and then the Genespage merger. But I'm glad that IYOK and others can keep us informed. I've followed recruiting for 21 years, and I can tell you that not much changes. We get more talent now than most teams in D1. Unfortunately there are 6 teams in our own division that are going to out-recruit us a lot of the time.

vCash
    Ok, so right now some of our higher ranked 3*'s have offers from bama, LSU, Ga, etc. Some get bumped up during their SR season. But, they already have a varying # of 5's and a large # of 4's. Our style recruits are among our highest rank commits, while the same style ranked players fill out their remaining spots. If we can't find a way to continue to step it up, we will never move to the next level. BTW, how accurate is 247? I look at the remaining list of our 4* "targets" and most are cool to us, click on said player profile, and it shows Brian Baker recruiting him for bama and us. How often do they re-evaluate or update. Recruiting is hardcore and cut throat in the West! Hail State!
    Last edited by Goldendawg; 06-18-2019 at 06:39 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    I understand the part about our commits taking a dip, but Chris Jones and Charles crows are clearly huge expectations.

vCash
    And I'll be happy if that's the case. That would mean we are on pace to compete.

And fwiw, I don't think the thread went off the rails at all. I think this is a very very worthy discussion.

We come to message boards to discuss and debate. Not just read a commit list
    Well, at least actual recruiting is actually being discussed in the recruiting thread. That's better than it is during most times.

vCash

If your talking about recruiting top 15, well you know that answer. Not happening here. Even getting top 20 is much harder now than it used to be for us. If you're talking about perception, it will never be good at MSU in recruiting, regardless if our players are All American caliber or not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Errol is a perfect example. He claimed Bama, Arkansas, Michigan, and Louisville offers when it was all over. Kid should have been a 4 star.
    At one time ESPN had Errol ranked as the #1 MLB in the country

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    That's adding at least 6 (or jumps) and we have 19 commits at the moment. I don't even pretend to know the recruiting circuit as well as you, but I do think that's a very rosy outlook. I'd feel comfortable taking the under on 7 4-stars
    We will have at a minimum 6 4 stars but probably 7 or 8. The people on here freaking out about kids only being ranked 3 stars in June don’t know what they are talking about. There are commits that are going to get bumped to 4 stars within the next couple of months and there are 3 or 4 kids that are already 4 stars that we are leading for right now. In a down year in the state, we are going to have a top 25 and maybe a top 20 class if the chalk holds. That is an upgrade.

vCash
    Dillon Johnson announces today at 1. We need some good news to help us get past baseball last night.

Also, Lideatrick Griffin will probably announce soon as well. For those star gazers, these are two 4 stars that are highly coveted. Let's get them both.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KOdawg1 View Post
    Dillon Johnson announces today at 1. We need some good news to help us get past baseball last night.

Also, Lideatrick Griffin will probably announce soon as well. For those star gazers, these are two 4 stars that are highly coveted. Let's get them both.
    Get those 2 and this class looks much better. Still need a few more 4-stars though

vCash
    Get those 2 and this class looks much better. Still need a few more 4-stars though
    Bryson Eason and Jordan Davis are two 4 stars we also have a good chance to get. And like others have said, Janari Dean, Brown, Cooley, and a few others will most likely get bumped to a 4 star. I think we end up with 7-8 which would be pretty good
    Last edited by KOdawg1; 06-21-2019 at 11:20 AM.

vCash
    I don't think we get Eason, but I can't see us not getting Davis.

vCash
    Moorhead just rang the bell

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jacksondawg View Post
    Moorhead just rang the bell
    He said "re-ring" the bell, which means it's Tulu (Griffin)

vCash
    Joe said re-ring, so Tulu?