Page 51 of 148 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361101 ... LastLast
Results 1,001 to 1,020 of 2950

Thread: THE 2020 MSU Football Recruiting Talk Thread

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Again I don't disagree but you're doing a disservice to the Janari Dean's & Jakivuan Brown's of this class just calling them same old 3*. Also guys like Marcus Murphy, Fabian Lovett, Errol Thompson, Darryl Williams, Stewart Reese, Cam Dantzler etc. Yes they were 3* but their offer sheet showed that college coaches knew they were legit. That's why we have to be careful to differentiate from those bottom tier 3* who are projects or diamonds & these 3* who are the backup guys for LSU Bama UGA etc. We can win a lot of games with those 3* mixed in with 4 & 5* guys.
    Fair enough.

I think 247 could benefit from adding a 3.5 star that gives a boost to the 87-90 rated players
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pollodawg View Post
    But, after a decade of bowls, at some point, the expectation has to ratchet up some.
    This is my opinion as well. Some just want to be a development program though

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This is my opinion as well. Some just want to be a development program though
    I don't think that's the goal either. We've long talked about to really recruit well we have to recruit better OOS. Mullen signed 6 4* OOS players from 09-17. So far JoeMo has signed 3 has 1 committed & sit well with 2 more. So again we can't say he's recruiting the same when after 2 years & a couple months it's a realistic thought that he could match the higher end OOS recruiting that Mullen did in 8 years. Progress is being made but of course it's not fast enough or loud enough for some & I get that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    When Mullen was here, stars matter. Mullen gone, stars don't matter
    Would stop with the ex-girlfriend comparisons. You need to decide whether you want to be a Dawg or a Gator and move on. Appreciate some of your comments but you got to let it go.

vCash
    Never mind
    Last edited by msstate7; 06-18-2019 at 10:19 AM.

vCash
    Fair enough.

I think 247 could benefit from adding a 3.5 star that gives a boost to the 87-90 rated players
    Or they should do away with the 268 cap on 4*s that they give. https://247sports.com/college/appala...anation-81574/. Right now, 247 has 351 players rated 4* or better in the composite rankings. By their own system, that means that 51 players who are 4*s today in the composite aren't considered 4*s by 247. That tells you how much subjectivity there is in the evaluations and as we all know it is not an exact science.

Who would you rather have had as a QB at MSU in the 2011 class? 5* Jeff Driskel or 3* Dak Prescott? Which rating was correct in terms of performance and potential?
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Or they should do away with the 268 cap on 4*s that they give. https://247sports.com/college/appala...anation-81574/. Right now, 247 has 351 players rated 4* or better in the composite rankings. By their own system, that means that 51 players who are 4*s today in the composite aren't considered 4*s by 247. That tells you how much subjectivity there is in the evaluations and as we all know it is not an exact science.

Who would you rather have had as a QB at MSU in the 2011 class? 5* Jeff Driskel or 3* Dak Prescott? Which rating was correct in terms of performance and potential?
    Hindsight makes decisions easy. Would you take Uiagalelei or will Rogers this cycle?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I get your point, but honestly, in recruiting I'd rather have 3 Jeff Driskel's than 1 Dak Prescott & take my chances

vCash
    There's a difference in recruiting to "win a bunch of games" and recruiting to win the division. Shotgun is correct in his assesments. Moorhead is landing a lot of his top targets, and you have to be pleased with that, but they're, at this point, for the most part 3* guys. Yes, not all 3*s are created equal, but without having at least half of your roster being comprised of 4 and 5*s, you cannot win the division. It's the history of the league since the modern recruiting database became available. So, you have to ask yourself what is the goal? If it's to win some games and be bowl eligible and maybe have a run every 4th year where we win 10 games then yeah, this recruiting performance can get you there with elite coaching (of which we currently do not have based on last seasons results, but willing to give some leeway to see what happens this year). If you want to really compete for the crown, you have to recruit better than this. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the straight facts.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pipedream View Post
    There's a difference in recruiting to "win a bunch of games" and recruiting to win the division. Shotgun is correct in his assesments. Moorhead is landing a lot of his top targets, and you have to be pleased with that, but they're, at this point, for the most part 3* guys. Yes, not all 3*s are created equal, but without having at least half of your roster being comprised of 4 and 5*s, you cannot win the division. It's the history of the league since the modern recruiting database became available. So, you have to ask yourself what is the goal? If it's to win some games and be bowl eligible and maybe have a run every 4th year where we win 10 games then yeah, this recruiting performance can get you there with elite coaching (of which we currently do not have based on last seasons results, but willing to give some leeway to see what happens this year). If you want to really compete for the crown, you have to recruit better than this. I know that sounds harsh, but it's just the straight facts.
    Considering the division we're in, I'm perfectly fine with 8 wins most years with the 10-win season every 3-4 years. Maintaining a 10 win pace will be almost impossible... if we land a coach that can get it done, he'll be taken from us.

Banned
    vCash
    Not dogging three star kids, per se. They can be the backbone of your program. You just have to snag some four and five stars, which we have, to leaven the bread, so-to-speak.

vCash
    We've currently got 1 4 star recruit. 1.

Jumping quickly on the 3 stars in the state & not pushing for more highly rated recruits from outside the state would be the definition of country club

I love the Dean commitment & I think JoMo is making the best of a down instate year, but let's slow the roll on praising his recruiting.

Again, regardless of anyone's opinions of what players SHOULD be ranked, JoMo currently only has 1 4 star commitment.

That will get us killed in our division. Absolutely slaughtered

Alabama has 17 4+ stars committed
    LSU has 13
    A&M has 5
    Auburn has 6

Those schools aren't committing every 3 instate kid that likes them. They are fighting for 4 stars.

Just saying.

I'm not being negative as I believe we will soon start to add the 4 stars, but it's just plainly inaccurate at this point to like this recruiting class. Completely inaccurate
    Go. Away.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Hindsight makes decisions easy. Would you take Uiagalelei or will Rogers this cycle?
    To a degree hindsight makes it easy. You also have reality of staring you in the face that we are still years away from recruiting at the level Shotgun is proposing. Our best year in the last 10 saw 7 4* players (2015). Since 2010, we have averaged 4.5 4*s or higher. That was an increase over to 2000-2009 period that saw an average of 3.1. Expecting us to double that number quickly isn't realistic. Joe signed 6 in each of his first 2 classes - Dan did that three times in 9 classes. Getting to 6-7 a class on a regular basis is probably a realistic plateau for right now. It's not satisfying, but I don't see any way to make a leap that large. So, you have to work toward increasing the number of 4*s while still recognizing that we are still a program that has to do an excellent job of landing talent that needs development.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    You're skipping steps though with what you're talking about. We've been a Top 25-28 recruiting profile which has been good for 7-8 wins a year. What you're talking about is a Top 10-15 recruiting profile. Our next step is consistently in the Top 17 - 22 range. That should make us a consistent 8-10 win team. That's the next step not jumping over that straight to consistently challenging for the division. Get to a consistent 8-10 win team & every 2-3 years you can challenge for the division.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    We've currently got 1 4 star recruit. 1.

Jumping quickly on the 3 stars in the state & not pushing for more highly rated recruits from outside the state would be the definition of country club

I love the Dean commitment & I think JoMo is making the best of a down instate year, but let's slow the roll on praising his recruiting.

Again, regardless of anyone's opinions of what players SHOULD be ranked, JoMo currently only has 1 4 star commitment.

That will get us killed in our division. Absolutely slaughtered

Alabama has 17 4+ stars committed
    LSU has 13
    A&M has 5
    Auburn has 6

Those schools aren't committing every 3 instate kid that likes them. They are fighting for 4 stars.

Just saying.

I'm not being negative as I believe we will soon start to add the 4 stars, but it's just plainly inaccurate at this point to like this recruiting class. Completely inaccurate
    agree....For every 4 star we get there are 4 other teams in our division....not just conference...DIVISION... that are getting 3 or 4. It sucks but it's just the way it is. Frankly I am getting sick and tired of being mediocre and even more sick and tired of the sunshine pumping sect of our fanbase acting like Moorhead is recruiting lights out when he is not. Quantity don't equal quality.
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GeorgeKaplan View Post
    Go. Away.
    Why?

So inaccurate narratives can thrive?

Want to get me to go away? Post with accuracy & stop praising mediocrity. There is a difference in firing mediocrity & not praising mediocrity. I am not in favor or am close to being in favor of firing Moorhead, but I'm not going to praise him for gobbling up solid 3 stars in Mississippi. He had 18 instate 4 & 5 stars last year & missed on most.
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 06-18-2019 at 11:26 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    You're skipping steps though with what you're talking about. We've been a Top 25-28 recruiting profile which has been good for 7-8 wins a year. What you're talking about is a Top 10-15 recruiting profile. Our next step is consistently in the Top 17 - 22 range. That should make us a consistent 8-10 win team. That's the next step not jumping over that straight to consistently challenging for the division. Get to a consistent 8-10 win team & every 2-3 years you can challenge for the division.
    We've been to 9 straight bowl games though.

If being a consistent winner doesn't seem to help recruiting, what does?

vCash
    We've been to 9 straight bowl games though.

If being a consistent winner doesn't seem to help recruiting, what does?
    Can we at least see how the new staff does with 2-3 full recruiting cycles before we make this determination?

vCash
    We've averaged 8 wins over the last decade. At what point should we start expecting a next step? How many years in a row can the patience card be played? I've done the numbers on it. There's 10 MS HS blue chips every year, you need to land at least half of them. There's 4 MS Juco blue chips every year, you have to land one of those. There's 350+ non MS blue chips every year, you need to land 4 of those. It's not a cake walk, but people acting as if signing 10 blue chips every year is some ridiculous number have no aspiration for this program. It is quite doable.

vCash
    We've averaged 8 wins over the last decade. At what point should we start expecting a next step? How many years in a row can the patience card be played? I've done the numbers on it. There's 10 MS HS blue chips every year, you need to land at least half of them. There's 4 MS Juco blue chips every year, you have to land one of those. There's 350+ non MS blue chips every year, you need to land 4 of those. It's not a cake walk, but people acting as if signing 10 blue chips every year is some ridiculous number have no aspiration for this program. It is quite doable.
    Agree