Thread: Holgerson making $1.1 Mil more than the next highest G5 coach

vCash

Holgerson making $1.1 Mil more than the next highest G5 coach

Not sure if I understand why they spent that much to get him. I thought he was a good coach but no better than other guys they could have poached at that price. He is making around $3.7 Mil per year which is what he was going to make at W Va.

Memphis coach Norvell makes $2.6 as the next highest. Heupel at UCF and Fickell at Cincinnatti are both set to make $2.3 Mil.

Does anyone think Houston made a good move here? They were winning 9-10 games before Holgerson got there and now he has been averaging around 7-8 with a 4 win and 10 win season thrown in. They did move to the Big 12 which is more competitive than the Big East was.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    He's prob old boys with Tillman the money guy. Billionaire whose hobby is UH. Like win the lottery for a billion and do whatever you want at state

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Not sure if I understand why they spent that much to get him. I thought he was a good coach but no better than other guys they could have poached at that price. He is making around $3.7 Mil per year which is what he was going to make at W Va.

Memphis coach Norvell makes $2.6 as the next highest. Heupel at UCF and Fickell at Cincinnatti are both set to make $2.3 Mil.

Does anyone think Houston made a good move here? They were winning 9-10 games before Holgerson got there and now he has been averaging around 7-8 with a 4 win and 10 win season thrown in. They did move to the Big 12 which is more competitive than the Big East was.
    I think Houston might have made a good move with the Applewhite firing. Have a feeling the program was going backwards with him and maybe about to implode. I think Holgerson is better than Applewhite at running a program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I think Houston might have made a good move with the Applewhite firing. Have a feeling the program was going backwards with him and maybe about to implode. I think Holgerson is better than Applewhite at running a program.
    The entire deal where Applewhite was trying to pull the coat off of Ed Oliver was a weird deal. It just seemed like a weird vibe and could have signaled turmoil behind the scenes.

vCash
    He might be the Nick Saban of G5, getting the other coaches huge raises because of his salary. UCF will probably have to match him, the USF, then OM, and on and on.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1051108]Not sure if I understand why they spent that much to get him. I thought he was a good coach but no better than other guys they could have poached at that price. He is making around $3.7 Mil per year which is what he was going to make at W Va.

Does anyone think Houston made a good move here? They were winning 9-10 games before Holgerson got there and now he has been averaging around 7-8 with a 4 win and 10 win season thrown in. They did move to the Big 12 which is more competitive than the Big East was.[/QUOTE]

When did Houston move to the Big 12?

vCash
    [QUOTE=RocketDawg;1051294]

Does anyone think Houston made a good move here? They were winning 9-10 games before Holgerson got there and now he has been averaging around 7-8 with a 4 win and 10 win season thrown in. They did move to the Big 12 which is more competitive than the Big East was.[/QUOTE]

I thought HOU was in the ACK.... ac.... aac???? something whACKy like that....

eta - AMERICAN ATHLETIC CONF.
    Last edited by TUSK; 01-04-2019 at 10:30 PM.
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    [QUOTE=RocketDawg;1051294]

Sorry, I was referring to West Virginia when Holgerson was there. The previous coaches were winning 9-10 every year when W Va was in the Big East. They moved to the Big 12 a couple years into Holgerson tenure and have been around 7-8 wins consistently.

vCash
    [QUOTE=Tbonewannabe;1051308]
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post

Sorry, I was referring to West Virginia when Holgerson was there. The previous coaches were winning 9-10 every year when W Va was in the Big East. They moved to the Big 12 a couple years into Holgerson tenure and have been around 7-8 wins consistently.
    sidebar: I never got that... I know they ain't on the Atlantic Ocean, but UWV oughta be in the ACC in lieu of the Big12.... right????
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash

Houston is run by a big donor. He wanted Holgerson. Doubt this was some collective decision.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    He might be the Nick Saban of G5, getting the other coaches huge raises because of his salary. UCF will probably have to match him, the USF, then OM, and on and on.
    i see what you did there m8

vCash
    [QUOTE=TUSK;1051319]

sidebar: I never got that... I know they ain't on the Atlantic Ocean, but UWV oughta be in the ACC in lieu of the Big12.... right????
    Kentucky's not on the Atlantic coast either, but Louisville is now in the ACC. And Arizona teams are in the Pac 12. Go figger.