Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Over the years, folks have called themselves a REALIST

vCash

Over the years, folks have called themselves a REALIST

This label has usually followed a less than optimistic prediction of events (usually preseason about the amount of wins a team will have)

So I'm interested in those who feel they are a realist........Do you think that the university/AD/president will pull the plug on Moorhead at the end of this year?

If not, what if he goes 6-6 or 7-5 next year ? Will you honestly expect Cohen to fire him after year 2 in that case?

Bear in mind that I'm not asking what you WANT to happen. I'm asking based on what you think REALISTICALLY WILL happen and how long Moorhead will last if you believe that is mediocre progress or less than that?

I'm interested because hyperbole has become the norm in discourse around MSU message boards. Things are either so much better than many will accept or so much worse than many accept that sifting through it is pretty tough.

I'm firmly in the middle. That is to say that I'm dissapointed we havent performed better, but I think there is a reasonable explanation and the outlook is positivex

Anyway, I despise it. I dont want all sunshine pumping. Hell, that was what we had before the season and it seemed pretty crappy too. Some jackwagon was trying to tell everyone on the board we aught to be arrogant pricks because that is what winning fanbases do.

vCash
    Is JWS the first Miss State first year head coach to go to a bowl game his first year? Got to give the guy a learning curve. The guy has made mistakes this season. I am pissed about it too. I kind of figured it was going to happen several months ago. I was hoping the feeling was wrong. Now I do not think he will be fired going 8-4 and 7-5 the next two seasons. We will have to be below 500. Now I am pretty optimistic guy and don't get too negative.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 10-25-2018 at 01:12 PM.

vCash
    We are stuck with that dumbass for 2 years for certain. No way he does better next season. We will have a new coach by Dec next year.

vCash
    The nail in the coffin could possible be our trip to Knoxville next season. The second place coach could punch us in the mouth and steal our manhood. That's gonna sting.

Realistically he gets next year. And if we aren't starting to click on offense next year I doubt we win 7 games. Joe may be told this time next year to start looking elsewhere b/c we are.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Is JWS the first Miss State first year head coach to go to a bowl game his first year? Got to give the guy a learning curve. The guy has made mistakes this season. I am pissed about it too. I kind of figured it was going to happen several months ago. I was hoping the feeling was wrong. Now I do not think he will be fired going 8-4 and 7-5 the next two seasons. We will have to be below 500. Now I am pretty optimistic guy and don't get too negative.
    Realistically for MSU, 6-6 in any season should get any coaches seat warm with today's scheduling. Anything less than 6-6 puts you on the burner that following season. Improve or else. 6-6 back to back may buy a 3rd. 6-6 followed by anything less gets you fired. 4 wins or less in any season should get you fired - unless you have had multiple injuries to several key contributors or some other major extenuating circumstances. Realistically, the SEC has elevated our resources to this being solid expectations - but has not elevated us significantly within the overall pecking order of the SEC. We will always struggle from season to season in the SEC because it is the SEC - and we are near the bottom in the SEC in resources. I would feel very differently about this if we were the only P5 school in the state.

I say all of this because with the way we have a schedule structured thru 2025 you have 3 auto wins. The P5 game could swing on home vs. away (although no one on our current P5 list scares me). That means in any given year you need 2-3 SEC wins out of Kentucky, Rotating East, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M - all teams we have performed reasonably well against since the SEC went to divisions. With that set up, it isn't a tall order to get to 6 wins and a bowl. That should be a realistic baseline expectation for all seasons.

That being said, 6-6 followed by 7-5, I think you have to look at overall performance from year to year. Are we advancing in our performance relative to others? Is recruiting the same, better or worse? Are we competitive in more games or less - even in losses? Or was it purely the way the schedule and our opponents aligned?
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 10-25-2018 at 01:44 PM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Joe has the job pretty well locked down for the next 3-4 years so long as the wheels don’t come completely off. Meaning at least making a bowl each year. The one potential wrinkle to this would be if he never beats OM. That could potentially end things early.

Beyond that it’s hard to predict. Historically speaking, a bowl every year would be pretty good, but if that’s the outlook at year 4 and nothing more, then we’ll learn a lot about our AD’s desire for actual improvement.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dildoes View Post
    Joe has the job pretty well locked down for the next 3-4 years so long as the wheels don?t come completely off. Meaning at least making a bowl each year. The one potential wrinkle to this would be if he never beats OM. That could potentially end things early.

Beyond that it?s hard to predict. Historically speaking, a bowl every year would be pretty good, but if that?s the outlook at year 4 and nothing more, then we?ll learn a lot about our AD?s desire for actual improvement.
    your a troll and a dumbass.

vCash
    I feel if he only wins 5 this season (or less) OR if he loses the Egg Bowl he will probably be gone this year. In fact, I've heard from the only good source that I have that if he drops the Egg Bowl he gone (unless he beats Bama and we end with 8 wins).

Barring that and we finish 7-5 (Which I think we will) he will be back. Next year he will not have a winning season. He just won't. The defense will be not as talented and he may be trying to start a true freshman. I see a 5-7 season (6-6 at best). If we limp out of this year at 6-6 (7-5) and then follow it up with a losing season he will be gone.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Realistically for MSU, 6-6 in any season should get any coaches seat warm with today's scheduling. Anything less than 6-6 puts you on the burner that following season. Improve or else. 6-6 back to back may buy a 3rd. 6-6 followed by anything less gets you fired. 4 wins or less in any season should get you fired - unless you have had multiple injuries to several key contributors or some other major extenuating circumstances. Realistically, the SEC has elevated our resources to this being solid expectations - but has not elevated us significantly within the overall pecking order of the SEC. We will always struggle from season to season in the SEC because it is the SEC - and we are near the bottom in the SEC in resources. I would feel very differently about this if we were the only P5 school in the state.

I say all of this because with the way we have a schedule structured thru 2025 you have 3 auto wins. The P5 game could swing on home vs. away (although no one on our current P5 list scares me). That means in any given year you need 2-3 SEC wins out of Kentucky, Rotating East, Ole Miss, Arkansas, Auburn, Texas A&M - all teams we have performed reasonably well against since the SEC went to divisions. With that set up, it isn't a tall order to get to 6 wins and a bowl. That should be a realistic baseline expectation for all seasons.

That being said, 6-6 followed by 7-5, I think you have to look at overall performance from year to year. Are we advancing in our performance relative to others? Is recruiting the same, better or worse? Are we competitive in more games or less - even in losses? Or was it purely the way the schedule and our opponents aligned?
    This in spades!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    I feel if he only wins 5 this season (or less) OR if he loses the Egg Bowl he will probably be gone this year. In fact, I've heard from the only good source that I have that if he drops the Egg Bowl he gone (unless he beats Bama and we end with 8 wins).

Barring that and we finish 7-5 (Which I think we will) he will be back. Next year he will not have a winning season. He just won't. The defense will be not as talented and he may be trying to start a true freshman. I see a 5-7 season (6-6 at best). If we limp out of this year at 6-6 (7-5) and then follow it up with a losing season he will be gone.

I just don't think this will happen. I really see no way he gets fired after 1 year unless we don't win another game. I really believe that next year will determine his fate.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    I don't think he makes it to year 2 without going to a bowl.

vCash
    I've said since the Florida game that unless we picked it up offensively the remainder of the year I fully expect Cohen and Moorhead will have a talk at the end of the year and it will end up with Moorhead turning over the play calling duties to Hud or Huff. Also wouldn't be surprised if Breiner isn't reassigned and we look at bringing back Brett Elliott.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

The thing is we gave Dan extensions after going 6-7.

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post

And on that note we didn't fire Dan after he basically blew the Egg Bowl three times in four years.

But to answer the question I think Joe gets this year and next. A lot of good coaches had less than stellar year ones- Saban, Kirby Smart, Orgeron, Stoops at UK are the current ones.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by 99jc View Post
    your a troll and a dumbass.
    The irony of your post is tragically humorous. Unless I?m missing the meaning of troll.

vCash
    If he doesn't win another game this year, he's gone. Otherwise, he's back. If he has winning seasons next couple of years, no issues either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gravedigger View Post
    This label has usually followed a less than optimistic prediction of events (usually preseason about the amount of wins a team will have)

So I'm interested in those who feel they are a realist........Do you think that the university/AD/president will pull the plug on Moorhead at the end of this year?

If not, what if he goes 6-6 or 7-5 next year ? Will you honestly expect Cohen to fire him after year 2 in that case?

Bear in mind that I'm not asking what you WANT to happen. I'm asking based on what you think REALISTICALLY WILL happen and how long Moorhead will last if you believe that is mediocre progress or less than that?

I'm interested because hyperbole has become the norm in discourse around MSU message boards. Things are either so much better than many will accept or so much worse than many accept that sifting through it is pretty tough.

I'm firmly in the middle. That is to say that I'm dissapointed we havent performed better, but I think there is a reasonable explanation and the outlook is positivex

Anyway, I despise it. I dont want all sunshine pumping. Hell, that was what we had before the season and it seemed pretty crappy too. Some jackwagon was trying to tell everyone on the board we aught to be arrogant pricks because that is what winning fanbases do.
    If we fire him after one year we will pay for it for at least a decade or two, in multiple sports. Hopefully we aren't that stupid.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 10-25-2018 at 04:00 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by StarkVegasSteve View Post
    I've said since the Florida game that unless we picked it up offensively the remainder of the year I fully expect Cohen and Moorhead will have a talk at the end of the year and it will end up with Moorhead turning over the play calling duties to Hud or Huff. Also wouldn't be surprised if Breiner isn't reassigned and we look at bringing back Brett Elliott.
    That's a bold take, but definitely something I could see happening.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    If we fire him after one year we will pay for it for at least a decade or two, in multiple sports. Hopefully we aren't that stupid.
    That’s a pretty big stretch. Multiple sports for up to 2 decades? That’s out of line. Will it effect the next football hire? That’s possible and most likely if we fire a .500 or better coach after 1 season.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I know of several who would take the job tomorrow if we fired him today and based on the outcomes so far would do MUCH better. If a coach is scared of high expectations then we probably don't want them in the first place.

vCash
    I'm not always pessimistic but I do consider myself to root my opinions based on logic and analytical thought. Yes. It is possible he could be fired. You lose the locker room, you can't build a program. That happens and you don't have a choice. Have to cut bait and start over.

If we miss a bowl and lose to Ole Miss, which are both very possible IMO, I think we're looking at a real possibility that he's fired. In fact, it wouldn't shock me if he packs his crap and leaves on his on if things continue to spiral out of control. We've beaten no one with a pulse. LaTech might embarrass us at HC.