Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just in from the meeting about DNF... My thoughts:

Banned
    vCash

Just in from the meeting about DNF... My thoughts:

1. Thrilled, excited, ecstatic cannot begin to describe how pumped I am Populous and Janet Marie Smith are involved. Scott nailed this part... to be the best, you have to have the best working for you. There's a lot more to a great ballpark than simply what money can build and these guys have the tools to make that a reality.

2. Let's get this out of the way now... people are going to bitch about their lifetime seats. Unfortunately, nothing was said one way or the other about the future of the grandstand. Scott did say if the grandstand was left intact, then the lifetime seats would remain. He all but said if the grandstand goes away, a new seating structure would be implemented. The moderator encouraged people to discuss facilities and not administrative constraints. Sightlines from the bleachers was clearly brought up by several people and was made a point of emphasis.

3. There was some good brainstorming going on. I would guess less than 8 people in attendance have ever sat in the bleachers for a game, but the ones that had were very vocal that they needed to go away. As a matter of fact, no one objected this notion... Cohen himself said it looks awful for a midweek game to have twice the attendance as a Vandy midweek game, but radio/tv announcers would praise vandy for filling seats while at the same time throw us under the bus for having twice the attendance. Cohen spearheaded this thought, but I think everyone there supported the notion that a 10,000 stadium looks bad when 95% of the seats are empty. No solutions were given, however (was a little disappointed in this). I'm glad these issues were brought up.

4. To piggyback off number 3, several people made statements along the lines of making sure we look good on tv. One lady flat out said it looks terrible to see 3 or 4 rows, then a huge concrete wall behind home plate. Let's show off the crowds we have. This makes me optimistic that the planners will seriously look at replacement of the grandstand structure.

5. I really like the notion of a "grand plaza" as you walk into the stadium. No other school in the SEC has the history we do and the names to support that history (not even LSU, UF, OM, or USCe). Lets make this an ENORMOUS selling point of our program and use our baseball stadium to showcase it.

6. Someone brought up some ideas of an "old time ballpark feel" like scoreboards with lights (see Fenway, Wrigley, or the Phillies' outfield walls as examples). I think it would be downright awesome to have an entire section of the outfield wall dedicated to out of town scores showcased in an old time kind of way. Same with a method to show official scoring since so many people enjoy keeping score. Let's sell this.

7. Everett Kennard said "do not touch LFL." I think it should be restructured in such a way (much like the gridiron club) where some "generic" lounges are offered for rent so that way average fans who aren't privy to the lounge area can experience the lounge. Also, bump up prices significantly. That's administrative, but those are my thoughts.

8. I love the idea of expanding the right field patio and adding concessions or an "outfield club" area for students (much like Turner Field). This could be a badass student section (even adding seats/bleachers below it... make this area accessible to students and really cater this area around them... offer concessions, drinks, food... it doesn't have to be as elaborate as Turner Field, but it could be just as popular).

Overall, no direction was given by the administration, but some good ideas were tossed out there. The more we push our expectations on this project, the more the administration will listen. We, as fans, must set the expectations because baseball is who we are. I have faith in our administration that this project, once underway, will be done well and it will be done right making DNF the absolute best place in the nation to watch college baseball.

Your thoughts?
    Last edited by FFF; 10-14-2013 at 09:23 PM.

vCash
    Baseball Stadium wool is a good thing.

Hell of a write up too. Thank you for your breakdown for those of us unable to attend.

vCash
    But did anybody get a crick in their neck while attending.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bully99 View Post
    But did anybody get a crick in their neck while attending.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Thanks, FFF. The good news is that Stricklin seems to genuinely want DNF to be the best stadium in the country, and he's hired the right people to make that happen.

Banned
    vCash
    I failed to mention the general consensus among most fans (that I was able to gather) is that the grandstand needs to go away. Between the giant concrete wall behind home plate, the steepness of the steps (an issue for older folks), handicap accessibility, the current state of the concourse, and the sightlines issue (which was brought up several times), the overall consensus I gathered is that it needs to be torn down. The only objections were by a few people who were very vocal about their seats (one lady even said she wants her name back on her seat... REALLY??).

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Thanks for posting, that's good info.

And yes, we need to continue to push that expectations for this are really high. Stricklin seems to have gotten the message.

vCash
    thanks FFF! Great news on JMS being involved. That's issue #1 to me.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by messageboardsuperhero View Post
    And yes, we need to continue to push that expectations for this are really high. Stricklin seems to have gotten the message.
    Really high? Oh he's only messing around with the Carnegie Hall of College Baseball with some of the greatest baseball fans in College Baseball. If he messes it up, he will hear it on his way out of Starkville.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

Senior Member messageboardsuperhero's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I failed to mention the general consensus among most fans (that I was able to gather) is that the grandstand needs to go away. Between the giant concrete wall behind home plate, the steepness of the steps (an issue for older folks), handicap accessibility, the current state of the concourse, and the sightlines issue (which was brought up several times), the overall consensus I gathered is that it needs to be torn down. The only objections were by a few people who were very vocal about their seats (one lady even said she wants her name back on her seat... REALLY??).
    Yeah, some of the lifetime people are going to complain if/when we start over, but I think they'll get over it pretty quickly when they see how much better and closer to the field the seating for a new grandstand would be. Even though they might have "worse" seats priority wise, they'll still probably end up with a closer seat to the field with a better view.

It's good that people are getting the message about a new grandstand though.

vCash
    Meanwhile Texas A&M announced today they are installing the largest video board in the SEC at their baseball stadium. One of five largest in college baseball.

vCash
    Meanwhile Texas A&M announced today they are installing the largest video board in the SEC at their baseball stadium. One of five largest in college baseball.
    I'll be honest, I don't want that at DNF. Turner Field has an absolutely gigantic one, and I don't think it adds anything. Baseball is different; those video boards are phenomenal for football, but it's a different atmosphere in baseball, and there's not a whole lot you can show on those. I just want a great-looking stadium.

vCash
    1. I'm fired up too. I had heard this a few days ago- and was and am pumped.

2. Agree about getting out of the way. Personally, I can't see the grandstand staying though. I just hope the grandstand people are open minded that they can still have good- and possibly even better seats at the new grandstand. The grandstand people will be mad at first- but I think in the long run, they will be very pleased.

3. Cohen is right. And it was a very good point that I had never thought of. That perspective happens when you coach somewhere like Kentucky.

4. The lady is correct. Her husband is very lucky to have her as well.

5. The plaza is a good idea- the Cardinals, Yankees- all the traditional MLB teams have one. It builds fan pride when they walk in and it is a very good visual recruiting tool- see Will Clark played here.

6. I like that idea as well- we are one of the traditional powers in the SEC. Something retro like that would be good. I would limit it to SEC teams and maybe USM just because there are hundreds of teams and that could be cumbersome- unless you really care about New Mexico/Santa Clara baseball.

7. Everett Kennard has always been very vocal- and sometimes not in a good way. Urban legend has it that he was a key figure in begging Ron Polk to come back in 1991- and that ultimately began to hold us back as a program. I was concerned that he might dominate the meeting- and possibly turn it into something ugly and also turn it from something positive into something negative. I agree with you about the LFL. We can keep it- and we can also make it safer and upgrade it. That is going to mean changing it somewhat, and I know that some LFL will not like that- but the reality is the LFL has been changing since it was started. I'm sure it looks a lot different than it did when my parents were there in the 70's, and it was special then and I think it will continue to be special.

8. We do need a student section, but I'm a little confused about the "as elaborate as Turner Field" comment? Have they added something since I was there last because as far as I can recall it was basic outfield seats?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    I'll be honest, I don't want that at DNF. Turner Field has an absolutely gigantic one, and I don't think it adds anything. Baseball is different; those video boards are phenomenal for football, but it's a different atmosphere in baseball, and there's not a whole lot you can show on those. I just want a great-looking stadium.
    Yup

vCash
    So, there's four non-SEC schools with a larger scoreboard? Do they share a stadium with a MLB team?

Banned
    vCash
    Completely and totally agree with this. You cannot show in-game action on a baseball video board like you can football (only a picture and stats). Hell Wrigley field still doesn't have one and they don't really care. I like the nostalgia aspect of baseball... the old scoreboard and stadium look. I really liked that idea brought up at the meeting and hope that will be incorporated. I'd much rather go to a game at Fenway or Wrigley than a park like the Marlins or Nationals just because they have big stuff. I want the full experience.

vCash
    The one in St. Louis is not the biggest in the world, but it's adequate. Us not having a ginormous video board would also be adequate- especially if the picture is HD.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    8. We do need a student section, but I'm a little confused about the "as elaborate as Turner Field" comment? Have they added something since I was there last because as far as I can recall it was basic outfield seats?
    I was talking about the right field "club" area. Incorporate an outfield "club" with seats below somewhat like Turner has in the picture (trustmark has something similar to this). I meant it doesn't have to be elaborate as their outfield club (if you want to call it that) or identical, but an area specifically for the students that is THEIRS and has perks that no other area in the stadium has that will help draw them in. Maybe a sit-down picnic/grilling area beside a concession stand that serves a more extensive menu than just hot dogs and nachos... then have some bleachers/chairbacks below and in front of the elevated restaurant/picnic table area where students can sit. It doesn't have to be extensive, but the students NEED an area they can call theirs.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by FFF View Post
    I was talking about the right field "club" area. Incorporate an outfield "club" with seats below somewhat like Turner has in the picture (trustmark has something similar to this). I meant it doesn't have to be elaborate as their outfield club (if you want to call it that) or identical, but an area specifically for the students that is THEIRS and has perks that no other area in the stadium has that will help draw them in. Maybe a sit-down picnic/grilling area beside a concession stand that serves a more extensive menu than just hot dogs and nachos... then have some bleachers/chairbacks below and in front of the elevated restaurant/picnic table area where students can sit. It doesn't have to be extensive, but the students NEED an area they can call theirs.
    I see what you are saying now.

vCash
    I've never understood why they didn't just make a video board in right center where the giant "wall" is now blocking the hitter's view of the buildings behind there. Great thread that I agree wholeheartedly with, by the way...