Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moor-Wool

vCash

Moor-Wool

I'm not sure if black helicopters would attack me if I copy & pasted this article from Bruce Feldman on the Athletic this morning, but it is exciting. Here is an exert that basically gives insight to the rest of the article.

https://theathletic.com/482309/2018/...l&redirected=1

I think it's fairly clear from the twitter videos that Fitz is throwing the ball with more touch & feel this year than he has in year's past.

Here are some examples:

https://twitter.com/brianhadad/statu...58815014109184

https://twitter.com/tbhorka/status/1031559686984802304
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    I'll add this: if Fitz pulls off anything close to a 70% completion % this year, he'll probably be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft.

vCash
    HOLY SHIT!!!

vCash
    Damnit... Our secondary sucks a$$

vCash
    NY Heisman invite. Book it.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'll add this: if Fitz pulls off anything close to a 70% completion % this year, he'll probably be a top 5 pick in the NFL draft.
    I don't look for Fitz to jump that much. If I had to guess I would say 62-65%, which is very respectable. If he does push 70%, I'd love that, but don't think he would be a top 5 pick. 1st round maybe. If we don't compete for the West, it won't be because of Fitz, IMO.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    Damnit... Our secondary sucks a$$
    That's what I was thinking. **

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    I don't look for Fitz to jump that much. If I had to guess I would say 62-65%, which is very respectable. If he does push 70%, I'd love that, but don't think he would be a top 5 pick. 1st round maybe. If we don't compete for the West, it won't be because of Fitz, IMO.
    Agree to disagree. Fritz's tool set is tremendous and QBs are always overdrafted.

vCash
    Think what is percentage would be if he didn't have to compensate for poor WR technique. ***

vCash
    If Fitz goes this season with a 65% + rate that puts a damper on the legend of Dan Mullen the QB Whisperer.

From what I've been told by grapevine types JoMo and Breiner told Fitz to forget a few things Dan had taught him.

vCash
    Naw, its because our DL is bad and can't put any pressure on the QB*******

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tireddawg View Post
    This may be way off since drops aren't a recorded stat, but I'll guesstimate we averaged about three drops per game last year, and in my wooliness I'd like to think it'll be closer to one this year with our improved WR corps. If Fitz had had the benefit of that improvement last year, he would have completed 63.9% of his passes ([159+24 not dropped]/286) without any improvement throwing the ball. Granted, one could argue a good many of the drops could have come from the fact that he hasn't thrown the most catchable ball in games to this point in his career. But between the WR upgrades and Fitz' apparent improvement, I think many signs point to him going north of 65% in Moorhead's offense being very possible.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    This may be way off since drops aren't a recorded stat, but I'll guesstimate we averaged about three drops per game last year, and in my wooliness I'd like to think it'll be closer to one this year with our improved WR corps. If Fitz had had the benefit of that improvement last year, he would have completed 63.9% of his passes ([159+24 not dropped]/286) without any improvement throwing the ball. Granted, one could argue a good many of the drops could have come from the fact that he hasn't thrown the most catchable ball in games to this point in his career. But between the WR upgrades and Fitz' apparent improvement, I think many signs point to him going north of 65% in Moorhead's offense being very possible.
    I've had this thought for a while too. Improve our hands last year to average and at least 1/20 passes more are caught. That's 5%, which puts him at 59%. That's a respectable number by itself, add in the lack of size and separation and injuries to our top WRs last year and it's easily the equivalent of 65% with say, Auburns WRs

Not to say he can't improve- he used too much arm on deep balls, and didn't put enough touch on the ball. He also threw too many picks. But his accuracy overall is far from terrible when you look at what he was dealing with last year

Banned
    vCash
    Fitz will have to win the Heisman to be a top 5 overall pick. His injury vs Ole Miss alone will keep him out of being drafted that high even if he proves to everyone time and again he's completely healed from it. Injuries like that don't ever get forgotten about when GM's have their own job on the line making a top 5 draft pick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    I've had this thought for a while too. Improve our hands last year to average and at least 1/20 passes more are caught. That's 5%, which puts him at 59%. That's a respectable number by itself, add in the lack of size and separation and injuries to our top WRs last year and it's easily the equivalent of 65% with say, Auburns WRs

Not to say he can't improve- he used too much arm on deep balls, and didn't put enough touch on the ball. He also threw too many picks. But his accuracy overall is far from terrible when you look at what he was dealing with last year
    It may come down to whether or not he starts throwing off his back foot again when the bullets start flying & he knows he can get hit

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    His injury vs Ole Miss alone will keep him out of being drafted that high even if he proves to everyone time and again he's completely healed from it. Injuries like that don't ever get forgotten about when GM's have their own job on the line making a top 5 draft pick.
    GMs won't care about his injury if he shows he is 100%.

The injuries that GMs care about:

1. Shoulder problems
    2. Diseases
    3. Concussions.

They couldn't care less about a fully healed QB coming off a leg injury that is playing at 100%

vCash
    I would not be surprised at all by a 10+ percent jump on completions.

The old offense was designed to run first. It was not designed to enable precise timing-based passing windows. The new offense is designed to do that. That being said, the running game was very well designed which enabled bigger passing windows. I felt we did not even fully take advantage of those, especially vertically. We sometimes got 8-9 defenders into the box and then ran or passed right into them.

As quickly as Dak adjusted to the NFL it is hard to deny he was under-utilized in the passing game at the college level. Kind of scary to think Mullen’s offense may have even more upside if he could figure out how to expand the passing game. The jury is out on whether he ever achieves that - he may be too risk averse.

The new offense is converse in a way, the vertical passing game will need to work to open up the run and short passing.
    Last edited by Walkerhill; 08-21-2018 at 12:18 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    If Fitz goes this season with a 65% + rate that puts a damper on the legend of Dan Mullen the QB Whisperer.

From what I've been told by grapevine types JoMo and Breiner told Fitz to forget a few things Dan had taught him.
    You mean things like "Chicks dig the check down "??

Banned
    vCash
    Remember this thread during the draft.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    It may come down to whether or not he starts throwing off his back foot again when the bullets start flying & he knows he can get hit
    It's not that bad, his problem is he hasn't been a QB all that long and actually Dan may develop QB's but I wonder how much he really knows about mechanics. Joe knows as he played the position and I bet fundamentally Fitz is much improved because of a real QB Coach.

If one has never played QB it's pretty easy to say what's wrong, not saying you don't know but it's a position that takes time to really understand know what is going on. Many QB's who are big and strong can throw off there back foot, many get in trouble also.