Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Advocate regarding football hype...

vCash
    My only concern with the new offensive staff is they're about to see some defenses like they've never seen. At least not from a week to week perspective. The speed and size in the SEC is the best in the country. The coaching is improving now too. They'll have to be ready to adjust some things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    I'm a fitz fan but I don't agree with this. He's shown no sign of being an above average passer. He has above average arm strength but throws off his back foot consistently, which leads to him airmailing the ball consistently. Additionally, he throws a heavy, hard pass.

While, I'm a fan, for him to take the next step as a passer, he needs to transform himself from the football equivalent of a 98 mph reliever with control issues to a a starting pitcher with touch, feel, and command.
    I don?t think anyone can argue with this. Fitz is a great bulldog and hell of an athlete but an above average passer he is not.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    I don?t think anyone can argue with this. Fitz is a great bulldog and hell of an athlete but an above average passer he is not.
    I’ll be very surprised if Fitz isn’t a 60-65% passer this year.

vCash
    From watching a video or two on Jomo ?s passing philosophy, it seems like it will be more successful than Mullen?s. A lot of Mullen?s seemed to me it was ?beat your guy with your route and get open?. That works OK if you?re loaded with 5* studs at receiver. We didn?t and therefore never got separation. Jomo?s seems to create separation by design. Attack an area an make defenders make choices. Take the open choice. If they choose foolishly, burn them for a td. Assuming Fitz can read the open choices, I think his completion percentage will go up significantly.

vCash
    One of my question marks is Bob Shoop. What happened at TN? Obviously, Moorhead felt those were extenuating circumstances and trusts him. But that’s still a worry for me.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    I’ll be very surprised if Fitz isn’t a 60-65% passer this year.
    If he is, then watch the 17 out for Mississippi State. Playoff contender.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NWADAWG View Post
    From watching a video or two on Jomo ?s passing philosophy, it seems like it will be more successful than Mullen?s. A lot of Mullen?s seemed to me it was ?beat your guy with your route and get open?. That works OK if you?re loaded with 5* studs at receiver. We didn?t and therefore never got separation. Jomo?s seems to create separation by design. Attack an area an make defenders make choices. Take the open choice. If they choose foolishly, burn them for a td. Assuming Fitz can read the open choices, I think his completion percentage will go up significantly.
    JoMo's offense is the next generation of the Meyer/Mullen scheme.

It's better at blending the unique run concepts with a legit passing game.

vCash
    Turnovers are fairly random events in general. Joe's offense will also have a lot of higher percentage shorter pass routes and RPO's which will limit turnovers some and forcing defenders to cover everything limits turnovers IMO.

We finished -1 in turnover margin last year FWIW.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Turnovers are fairly random events in general. Joe's offense will also have a lot of higher percentage shorter pass routes and RPO's which will limit turnovers some and forcing defenders to cover everything limits turnovers IMO.

We finished -1 in turnover margin last year FWIW.
    I would argue that we have had too few turnovers in the past few years.

I know that sounds ridiculous, but I'm ok with some turnovers so long as they don't exceed the "risk/reward" matrix.

It's the problem with Alex Smith as an NFL QB. He rarely turns the ball over but he's so risk averse that he doesn't really make plays either.

If MSU wants to win more big games, we've got to take more risk & shorten drives. If are looking for the number 1 reason that Mullen didn't win big games, that is the reason

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    One of my question marks is Bob Shoop. What happened at TN? Obviously, Moorhead felt those were extenuating circumstances and trusts him. But that’s still a worry for me.
    Shoop was micromanaged by Butch. Butch let the defensive players treat Shoop like he was a water boy. Butch did not have Shoop's back on player issues. This is what I've read on UT boards and heard from one of the ESPN guys that was on Bo's show a couple of months ago. Remember, the team pretty much quit on Pruitt during their spring game - the effing SPRING GAME! They have way deeper problems than Shoop.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    Shoop was micromanaged by Butch. Butch let the defensive players treat Shoop like he was a water boy. Butch did not have Shoop's back on player issues. This is what I've read on UT boards and heard from one of the ESPN guys that was on Bo's show a couple of months ago. Remember, the team pretty much quit on Pruitt during their spring game - the effing SPRING GAME! They have way deeper problems than Shoop.
    Wait - UT quit on their new coach during the Spring Game?? What is this story? I'd not heard that anywhere.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 07-12-2018 at 11:04 AM.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    I'm a fitz fan but I don't agree with this. He's shown no sign of being an above average passer. He has above average arm strength but throws off his back foot consistently, which leads to him airmailing the ball consistently. Additionally, he throws a heavy, hard pass.

While, I'm a fan, for him to take the next step as a passer, he needs to transform himself from the football equivalent of a 98 mph reliever with control issues to a a starting pitcher with touch, feel, and command.
    It's not easy to run the ball 25 times a game, going toe to toe with linebackers and then getting back up and seconds later trying to throw an accurate pass. Moorhead doesn't plan to use Fitz as a battering ram quite as much, so that alone should help him with his accuracy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Wait - UT quit on their new coach during the Spring Game?? What is this story? I'd not heard that anywhere.
    Yep, I was watching it when it happened. Pruitt was PISSED! Half the team just gave up, ready to wrap it up and go home. It was like watching two five year olds wrestle the second half.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Matty Dispatch View Post
    It's not easy to run the ball 25 times a game, going toe to toe with linebackers and then getting back up and seconds later trying to throw an accurate pass. Moorhead doesn't plan to use Fitz as a battering ram quite as much, so that alone should help him with his accuracy.
    Not disagreeing, but I think you're kind of making an excuse that only encapsulates about 5% of Nick's issues. So between short WRs and running's a lot, we've got somewhere around 45% of his issues solved. 45% is a lot though and could certianly make him more effective.

vCash
    I believe also that our wide receivers haven't been able to separate from defenders much so it makes passing accuracy a little harder. Lot of pressure with a QB seeing his receivers covered like a blanket versus a wide open receiver. Big difference in most cases.

vCash
    Not disagreeing, but I think you're kind of making an excuse that only encapsulates about 5% of Nick's issues. So between short WRs and running's a lot, we've got somewhere around 45% of his issues solved. 45% is a lot though and could certianly make him more effective.
    I think it's a lot more than 5%. He pukes on the sideline every game, his arms are beat red from the abuse. Imagine running full speed into a brick wall, then get up call the play and try to hitting a moving target 15 yards downfield that's being covered by a defender. It's one thing to be a running QB who is trying to pick up a 1st down on 3rd & 3, it's another when you're the home run threat and trying to break one to the endzone every time. That's part of his game, and inaccuracy is a side effect. If you turn him into Tyler Russell it's really hard to imagine he's not a lot more accurate. But I'll deal with some wild throws because he's such a great athlete who can make so many more plays with his legs.

vCash
    What everybody is glossing over is just how bad our secondary was last year despite having a very good pass rush! In the 4 games we lost, we were absolutely torched by our opponents, with Bama and Ole Miss both merely playing pitch and catch against our overmatched secondary. Our cb’s are again mediocre at best and our safeties get caught out of position far too often so while I am also feeling “wooly” about this season, the truth is our secondary will again cost us a couple of games again this year, if not more

vCash

I agree...

We should be a run first team with what we have coming back. It would be a shame to start throwing it all over the place just for the sake of throwing the football more. Having a solid running game will also give Coach Moorehead time to see and adjust to SEC defenses. We have to keep in mind he has yet to coach a down in the SEC.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    What everybody is glossing over is just how bad our secondary was last year despite having a very good pass rush! In the 4 games we lost, we were absolutely torched by our opponents, with Bama and Ole Miss both merely playing pitch and catch against our overmatched secondary. Our cb’s are again mediocre at best and our safeties get caught out of position far too often so while I am also feeling “wooly” about this season, the truth is our secondary will again cost us a couple of games again this year, if not more
    Great point.

I would argue though, which teams on our schedule actually can pitch it and catch it well enough to exploit that?

Auburn
    Bama
    Ole Miss.

I don't any other team on our schedule that

vCash
    Great point.

I would argue though, which teams on our schedule actually can pitch it and catch it well enough to exploit that?

Auburn
    Bama
    Ole Miss.

I don't any other team on our schedule that
    Yep, don’t have to play Georgia, thank goodness, but the other 3 will have just as good passing attacks this year or maybe even better (Bama). However, I imagine Mullin will have Florida throwing early and often in Starkville and despite many bashing his play calling and his recruiting, he is excellent at exposing opponents weaknesses and our glaring and obvious shortcoming is our secondary which he will attack early and often.