Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do We Get From Guidry This Year?

vCash

What Do We Get From Guidry This Year?

As we sit here in July, outside of Fitz's health, I'm finding it difficult to pinpoint a single player on MSU's roster that could have a bigger role in determining whether we are a playoff contender vs just being a good team, than Stephen Guidry.

He is the swing vote IMO & is an unknown in which I have virtually no clue what we are getting.

What do we get from him this year?

If Guidry just has an inconsistent, show flashes but disappears in big games type season, how good are we?

If Guidry turns into a game breaker that defensive coordinators have to game plan for, how good are we?

What is the best case scenario for Guidry & what recent SEC or NFL player does he remind you of?

Just going through what could go wrong & right this season & Guidry has me stumped because I realized I know virtually nothing about one of our most talented players

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 07-11-2018 at 01:39 PM.

vCash
    I'm expecting at least 3-5 receptions a game for him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'm expecting at least 3-5 receptions a game for him.
    He looks like a homeless man's Randy Moss in the video.

How does he compare to DK Metcalf?

I just having trouble putting my finger on what he is capable of.

Banned
    vCash
    Awesome video Gun. Thank you . Wooly.

vCash
    We wont know till fall camp and we really wont know till game 1.

The players are confident in him I will say that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    He looks like a homeless man's Randy Moss in the video.

How does he compare to DK Metcalf?

I just having trouble putting my finger on what he is capable of.
    Hes faster than Metcalf for sure.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Hes faster than Metcalf for sure.
    So we have a 6'4" X WR with 4.4 speed that can high point the football?

What is his weakness? From a pure profile standpoint, that sounds like a 1st rounder

vCash

What is his weakness? From a pure profile standpoint, that sounds like a 1st rounder
    Idk if he is a 4.4 but he is faster than Metcalf. Metcalf is mainly a one trick pony. Was the same in high school. I think he is overrated but thats just me. I've seen a lot of Metcalf.

Yes Guidry has the chance to be a difference maker, his weakness is off the field. I havent seen him play live once in my life but I can tell you from that video he is faster than Metcalf.

vCash
    He seems to use his body well and has good hands, which are probably the most important things in a big receiver. JoMo said he's put on muscle, so he probably will be able to handle big physical SEC corners.

Looking at the video, it doesn't seem like he's got elite speed. Maybe it's me but I didn't see any play where he looked like a burner. Still though, if he can run a decent route, jump high and catch a contested ball, then he's given us all we really need out of a big man. I can live without 70 yard bombs if he gives us a red zone target and we can lob it to him on 3rd and 9

vCash

That's what I'm wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have him and can't wait to see him in action. But if he's as good as advertised in all such areas, why was LSU largely uninterested in him? Seems like I've heard the depth chart was an issue, but it sounds like he's a guy who anyone should make room for. Again, not trying to trash him in the slightest; just curious.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    That's what I'm wondering. Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled we have him and can't wait to see him in action. But if he's as good as advertised in all such areas, why was LSU largely uninterested in him? Seems like I've heard the depth chart was an issue, but it sounds like he's a guy who anyone should make room for. Again, not trying to trash him in the slightest; just curious.
    Yeah I don't know.

It sure seems like the measurables don't match the production or recruiting hype.

Are his problems purely off field? If JoMo can get him right, does that equate to him being an All-SEC type player?

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    Idk if he is a 4.4 but he is faster than Metcalf. Metcalf is mainly a one trick pony. Was the same in high school. I think he is overrated but thats just me. I've seen a lot of Metcalf.

Yes Guidry has the chance to be a difference maker, his weakness is off the field. I havent seen him play live once in my life but I can tell you from that video he is faster than Metcalf.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by the_real_MSU_is_us View Post
    He seems to use his body well and has good hands, which are probably the most important things in a big receiver. JoMo said he's put on muscle, so he probably will be able to handle big physical SEC corners.

Looking at the video, it doesn't seem like he's got elite speed. Maybe it's me but I didn't see any play where he looked like a burner. Still though, if he can run a decent route, jump high and catch a contested ball, then he's given us all we really need out of a big man. I can live without 70 yard bombs if he gives us a red zone target and we can lob it to him on 3rd and 9
    He looks like at least a 4.5 guy to me.

For a 6'4" WR, he appears to be really light on his feet.

He really only cuts it loose once in the video & that is on the first play of the video.

The play that sticks out to me though is the one at the 48 second mark. A 6'4" guy having feet like that is ridiculous & unique

vCash
    Looking at that video - I see a faster, better route running version of Bear Wilson.
    So to me it comes down to 3 things:
    1) How quickly can he pick up the Offense? He was here in Spring, albeit non-contact- so he has a head start
    2) How quickly can he and Fitz sync up? See #1.
    3) Will he downfield block like we need?

If we get 2014 level Bear Wilson results, we are good.
    If we get 2015 level Bear Wilson results, we are great.
    "After dealing with Ole Miss for over a year," he said, "I've learned to expect their leadership to do and say things that the leadership at other Division I schools would never consider doing and to justify their actions by reminding themselves that "We're Ole Miss.""
    - Tom Mars, Esq. 4.9.18

vCash
    Yeah I don't know.

It sure seems like the measurables don't match the production or recruiting hype.

Are his problems purely off field? If JoMo can get him right, does that equate to him being an All-SEC type player?
    Well, for one, he?s not very big. He?s maybe 190 at 6?4. Go look at some of his pics off thefield. I think he?s just ?raw,? and that?s why he wasn?t like a 5 star talent. He has the height, speed and hands to be very good, but how will he hold up in the SEC and can he put all that together? If he was 215, he would be easier to project.

He could be AJ Green, or he could be just another skinny, fast kid. Remember, he also doesn?t have a ton of production to match his skill set.

This is all not to say he won?t be great. Just reasons why he wasnt rated higher.
    Last edited by Covercorner2; 07-11-2018 at 01:47 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Looking at that video - I see a faster, better route running version of Bear Wilson.
    So to me it comes down to 3 things:
    1) How quickly can he pick up the Offense? He was here in Spring, albeit non-contact- so he has a head start
    2) How quickly can he and Fitz sync up? See #1.
    3) Will he downfield block like we need?

If we get 2014 level Bear Wilson results, we are good.
    If we get 2015 level Bear Wilson results, we are great.
    I get the Bear comparison but Bear was 225 and Guidry is listed at 185, although he appears bigger in the video.

It just seems to me that we are getting a different type of player than Bear and potentially something we haven't had.

vCash
    Since I got called out for not making a “bold prediction “.. and we see how that post turned out
    Here is a bold one
    Guidry will be here one year and have his name called very early day 3 maybe even late day 2 of The draft
    That ****ing bold enough ????
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 07-11-2018 at 01:50 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Covercorner2 View Post
    Well, for one, he?s not very big. He?s maybe 190 at 6?4. Go look at some of his pics off thefield. I think he?s just ?raw,? and that?s why he wasn?t like a 5 star talent. He has the height, speed and hands to be very good, but how will he hold up in the SEC and can he put all that together? If he was 215, he would be easier to project.

He could be AJ Green, or he could be just another skinny, fast kid. Remember, he also doesn?t have a ton of production to match his skill set.

This is all not to say he won?t be great. Just reasons why he wasnt rated higher.
    Yeah, he is a bit on the bean pole side. Of all the players on the roster, he is the one I'm most excited to see what his height & weight are when the roster comes out.

Most all NFL players that have his height weigh about 220+

FWIW, Randy Moss was 6'4" 215

The NFL player who appears to most have a Guidry type body is former Texas A&M WR Josh Reynolds who is listed at 6'3" 193 in the NFL & 6'4" 190 at A&M

Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 07-11-2018 at 01:57 PM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    You could ask the same question for Whop last year or Dannis Jackson this year. LSU recruits at an extremely high level & there's only so many spots to give.

Senior Member Lord McBuckethead's Avatar
    vCash
    Between him and whop I hope we get 115 catches for 1800 yards.
    Downvotes_Hype