Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Asst Baseball Coach Hire

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash

New Asst Baseball Coach Hire

Banned
    vCash
    Big big big. Great for developing catchers!!

vCash
    We needed someone dedicated to our catchers. Just looking at college baseball in general, it is a tough position to play. Even the best guys have problems with passed balls and throwing guys out.

vCash
    Cheeseburger and Lemons

Banned
    vCash
    in a way, the catcher position can be the most important one on the field I've always thought. If the catcher can't throw out base stealers and let too many in the dirt go by, he can cost his team a lot of runs. Didn't we do not so good defensively behind the plate this year?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    He's gonna like Edam
    No Signature

vCash
    Nice hire! This will help make our defense better. Cheesebrough will handle catchers and the outfield and Gautreau will handle the infield.

vCash
    Explain the "volunteer" coach. He's getting paid from somewhere.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Explain the "volunteer" coach. He's getting paid from somewhere.
    Camps and private funding

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Nice hire! This will help make our defense better. Cheesebrough will handle catchers and the outfield and Gautreau will handle the infield.

Sounds like a winner! And he is one of them good "cruitin" coaches too. He and Lemonis spent three years together, as assistant coaches at Louisville, under McDonnell.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by hacker View Post
    Cheeseburger and Lemons
    Welcome back from your trip to Mars. You made it in time to discuss the World Cup with us.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    Sounds like a winner! And he is one of them good "cruitin" coaches too. He and Lemonis spent three years together, as assistant coaches at Louisville, under McDonnell.
    He'll be stuck on campus until the NCAA approves the "third" full assistant in a year or two. But we're now ahead of the curve when that happens.

The main question I have is will the NCAA make it three full time assistants and a volunteer or just three full time?

vCash
    He'll be stuck on campus until the NCAA approves the "third" full assistant in a year or two. But we're now ahead of the curve when that happens.

The main question I have is will the NCAA make it three full time assistants and a volunteer or just three full time?

So a volunteer assistant baseball coach can't perform any recruiting activity? I'm just asking because I wasn't aware they couldn't. But that makes sense the way the NCAA operates. I would imagine that when the NCAA ever does approve a third assistant coach , that they would do away with the volunteer coach, but who knows what the NCAA will do. LSU has a graduate assistant (former player I think). SO under the NCAA rules I guess he is not able to participate in recruiting activities?
    Last edited by yjnkdawg; 06-28-2018 at 09:44 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by yjnkdawg View Post
    So a volunteer assistant baseball coach can't perform any recruiting activity? I'm just asking because I wasn't aware they couldn't. But that makes sense the way the NCAA operates. I would imagine that when the NCAA ever does approve a third assistant coach , that they would do away with the volunteer coach, but who knows what the NCAA will do. LSU has a graduate assistant (former player I think). SO under the NCAA rules I guess he is not able to participate in recruiting activities?
    No- they can be involved with recruiting- but they can not recruit off campus. I think that's why a lot of them are assigned the title of "camp coordinator". But they can't go out to PG events in Georgia and recruit players there.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bully13 View Post
    in a way, the catcher position can be the most important one on the field I've always thought. If the catcher can't throw out base stealers and let too many in the dirt go by, he can cost his team a lot of runs. Didn't we do not so good defensively behind the plate this year?
    Good catchers are extremely important. Ours sucked this year. Oregon State's catcher just won CWS MVP (although it's because he hit .520 in Omaha and set an all-time record for hits (17) in a WS than because he's good defensively, which he also is). This is a tremendous addition by Lemons.

Indiana was good defensively under Lemons. Are we sure he's not going to be handling the infielders? Not sure how he instructs them on how to get low for ground balls though.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg61 View Post
    Good catchers are extremely important. Ours sucked this year. Oregon State's catcher just won CWS MVP (although it's because he hit .520 in Omaha and set an all-time record for hits (17) in a WS than because he's good defensively, which he also is). This is a tremendous addition by Lemons.

Indiana was good defensively under Lemons. Are we sure he's not going to be handling the infielders? Not sure how he instructs them on how to get low for ground balls though.
    I wouldn't be surprised if he works with our infielders some.

vCash
    No- they can be involved with recruiting- but they can not recruit off campus. I think that's why a lot of them are assigned the title of "camp coordinator". But they can't go out to PG events in Georgia and recruit players there.
    This is correct. My 16 year old going through the recruiting process right now. He gets personal emails, invites, etc everyday from different programs camp directors. Stanford is on him the hardest. Coach Stotz emails him 3 or 4 times a week.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    This is correct. My 16 year old going through the recruiting process right now. He gets personal emails, invites, etc everyday from different programs camp directors. Stanford is on him the hardest. Coach Stotz emails him 3 or 4 times a week.
    Just curious, is MSU an option?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Just curious, is MSU an option?
    That's the dream. He would love to play at State and of course I would love for him to play there. No contact from staff yet. USM, Tulane, ULL and Nichols watched him play 4 games last week. Hit a bomb at Tulane. He's a catcher. Led 5A catchers in just about every defensive category. Only 1 error and 2 passed balls this year and threw out 70% on SB attempts.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    That's the dream. He would love to play at State and of course I would love for him to play there. No contact from staff yet. USM, Tulane, ULL and Nichols watched him play 4 games last week. Hit a bomb at Tulane. He's a catcher. Led 5A catchers in just about every defensive category. Only 1 error and 2 passed balls this year and threw out 70% on SB attempts.
    Dreams are made to be achieved. When's MSU's summer camp and is he attending it?