Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Nick Fitzgerald story from SI

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Maroons View Post
    This is a great article about Fitz, his recovery, and how the staff wants to use him. And all you guys are focusing on is one out of context quote about Mullen.
    Cry me a river

vCash
    GREAT article! Good to finally read a well written sports article. Glad we've got someone writing for the good guys now

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post

BTW, how awesome is it to have an alum writing for SI now?

At last MSU can get a positive reflection in national media or at least someone that has been to Starkville writing about it
    Brad Logan is a MSU grad, and is a powder blue, water-carrying douche...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I don't know man, the dude could be a total jerk at times, I could see it happening. I would like to hope it wasn't true but I could see him doing it.
    Yep... just look at the length of time it took for him to put an official goodbye letter in the CL. Most of the other coaches had already written something nice about State and their time in Starkville. Hell Megan prob wrote it and paid for it to be printed.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Aside from Dan...

I think Fitz is going to be hell on wheels next year. He has quietly become a special player for us and I think Moorhead is going to absolutely unleash him. And I don't know that very many people see it coming because they don't know about Guidry, Whop, and Austin Williams. Yet. And running Fitz 10-15 times instead of 20 is going to expose him a little bit less without taking away his running ability. The good thing about a West Coast Passing system (bad word!) is that there are a lot of high percentage passes built in. I think we will see a lot more slants and other crossing routes on third down instead of "Hey! Fitz can pick up 13 yards on fourth down. QB draw!" And those high percentage passes will help Fitz's completion percentage.

I'm pretty excited to see it.

vCash
    I think Dan had truly come to dislike Starkville and his job. You could tell by his body language. It was kind of like a marriage that slowly degraded until you end up hating the person. The relationship had run its course. After he didn?t get a natty with Dak, I said he was done, just a matter of time. So yeah, I can see him speaking for a few minutes and getting out. He?s not a personable person. He?s not a relationship person, which is why he can?t recruit well. I think he?s genuinely uncomfortable going out on the recruiting trail and developing relationships with people. It?s just not who he is to some extent, and you?ve got a real problem when you combine that with lazy recruiting.

The whole thing was a blessing in disguise, but people were scared because we had a lot of success under him. I?m really glad the players seem to like these guys more. Nick has become beloved by our fan base because he stepped up as a leader. I think he will reach Dak or Jake Mangum level by the time he leaves.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post
    I think Dan had truly come to dislike Starkville and his job. You could tell by his body language. It was kind of like a marriage that slowly degraded until you end up hating the person. The relationship had run its course. After he didn?t get a natty with Dak, I said he was done, just a matter of time. So yeah, I can see him speaking for a few minutes and getting out. He?s not a personable person. He?s not a relationship person, which is why he can?t recruit well. I think he?s genuinely uncomfortable going out on the recruiting trail and developing relationships with people. It?s just not who he is to some extent, and you?ve got a real problem when you combine that with lazy recruiting.

The whole thing was a blessing in disguise, but people were scared because we had a lot of success under him. I?m really glad the players seem to like these guys more. Nick has become beloved by our fan base because he stepped up as a leader. I think he will reach Dak or Jake Mangum level by the time he leaves.
    This article was posted on Angela Bridges MSU fan FB page and a bunch of folks started sharing stories of Dan being a total asshole to them or family members. Dan thinks his shit don't stink.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg2003 View Post

I knew Dan was pissed at the students when he came out of the tunnel at the UMass game and the student section was basically empty. And he was right to be. If you can't get at least the students to every game, then it's hell on the whole program

vCash
    The fact that we are getting these article written about us shows that we have arrived. Now we just need to take the next step.
    In regards to our former coach, take a look at the picture of everyone gathered around our qb on the ground right after a gruesome injury early in the game against our hated rival. Lots of somber faces but only one shit eating grin. Looks like someone didn't care as much since they were leaving in the morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Mobile Bay View Post
    I knew Dan was pissed at the students when he came out of the tunnel at the UMass game and the student section was basically empty. And he was right to be. If you can't get at least the students to every game, then it's hell on the whole program
    So you're telling me students got tired of watching the annual mullen half ass performance against a bad team?? At 11 am? No way!!

We were losing at half to UMass I dont blame people at all for not wanting to go. Esp while Mullen was looking for other jobs but holding his nose up in the air at others.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckyIsAB**** View Post
    So you're telling me students got tired of watching the annual mullen half ass performance against a bad team?? At 11 am? No way!!

We were losing at half to UMass I dont blame people at all for not wanting to go. Esp while Mullen was looking for other jobs but holding his nose up in the air at others.
    The DBs couldn't cover that 5 foot tall white kid to save their lives (We made him look like Wes f-ing Welker!) and our WRs couldn't get separation from one of the worst defenses in the nation. I guarantee you we ain't seeing that level of half-assery from Moorhead and company.

vCash
    Here we go blaming the students again. You can't expect all of the students to be die hard sports nuts committed to being at every game. The ones who would never miss a game were there. For students that casually follow sports or show up to socialize, why in the world would they be expected to show up to an 11 am game to stand in the blazing heat for 3 hours to watch us play a team we are supposed to curb stomp? Season ticket holders and single game ticket buyers weren't exactly lining up to be a part of that Saturday either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgFromOxford View Post
    Here we go blaming the students again. You can't expect all of the students to be die hard sports nuts committed to being at every game. The ones who would never miss a game were there. For students that casually follow sports or show up to socialize, why in the world would they be expected to show up to an 11 am game to stand in the blazing heat for 3 hours to watch us play a team we are supposed to curb stomp? Season ticket holders and single game ticket buyers weren't exactly lining up to be a part of that Saturday either.
    I agree that you can't put the crowd that day all on the students. I was very disappointed in the overall crowd. I understand that everyone doesn't love football but we should have crowds better than that at every game. Mullen's, or any other coach's, opinion of the crowd doesn't mean shit to me because he is getting paid a ton of money to be coaching that day and for what he receives he should have us properly prepared for every game. My issue with all the empty seats at some of the OOC games is that the players can't control who we play or what time the game is. They bust their ass for the privilege to run out of that tunnel dressed in maroon and white and I think they deserve to see a good crowd when they run out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TrapGame View Post
    This article was posted on Angela Bridges MSU fan FB page and a bunch of folks started sharing stories of Dan being a total asshole to them or family members. Dan thinks his shit don't stink.
    I couldn't find this page. I would love to read the stories though. Can you post a link?
    Thanks

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    I agree that you can't put the crowd that day all on the students. I was very disappointed in the overall crowd. I understand that everyone doesn't love football but we should have crowds better than that at every game. Mullen's, or any other coach's, opinion of the crowd doesn't mean shit to me because he is getting paid a ton of money to be coaching that day and for what he receives he should have us properly prepared for every game. My issue with all the empty seats at some of the OOC games is that the players can't control who we play or what time the game is. They bust their ass for the privilege to run out of that tunnel dressed in maroon and white and I think they deserve to see a good crowd when they run out.
    I can get behind this take.

vCash
    I was pissed at Dan for not showing up to two Egg Bowls and about half of 2016.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Then don't schedule 17n UMass at 11:00am. Ludicrous. If that's a night game the crowd would've been much better.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I was pissed at Dan for not showing up to two Egg Bowls and about half of 2016.
    Rep Given!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Then don't schedule 17n UMass at 11:00am. Ludicrous. If that's a night game the crowd would've been much better.
    We dont set what time we play the SEC does. It was november so it wasnt that hot I just dont blame people at all for not going bc anyone whos watched us play knew we were gonna play like shit that day.

vCash
    Damn. You'd think the article was about Mullen and not Fitz. Mullen is gone. F***k him! Great article on Fitz. I hope the new offense works perfectly for him. It seems simplified to a degree ditch is more Qb friendly. He could put up Big 12 type numbers this year.