Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What I Want in a Pitching Coach

vCash
    Bunn has been the Associate Head Coach since 2016 and I am pretty sure he will be the next Head Coach at Indiana. I am not sure if its official yet, it was not as of yesterday that I saw.

Bunn made $114,138 last year. Their assistant diving coach made about the same as Bunn.

Ck out the rest if you like, I found it interesting: https://www.hoosiersportsreport.com/...8-fiscal-year/

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottH View Post
    The technology aspect is critical. Todd, do we use it at all now?

If you haven't seen it in use you can't fully grasp what it can do.

I bought a Trakman for my home golf practice. The data it gives is amazing. If only I had it when I was younger......oh well.
    How much does your home golf Trakman run you?

vCash
    A quality analysis system will cost between $10,000-$25,000. Depends on how much you want. Hell, I've seen $60,000+ programs. And there are a lot of lower end stuff for less than that, but most of those are crap.
    Last edited by Cooterpoot; 06-26-2018 at 11:58 AM.

vCash
    JT Ginn was at Chris Lemonis’ press conference. Would you guys change your tune on Lemonis if Ginn came to Starkville?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    A quality analysis system will cost between $10,000-$25,000. Depends on how much you want. Hell, I've seen $60,000+ programs. And there are a lot of lower end stuff for less than that, but most of those are crap.
    I bought the Opti-shot golf simulator for about $300 years ago (maybe 2009).. horrible product.. It was just a disc that you loaded on your PC and then you bought your own net. Initially, I used the soft golf balls and hung a blanket to hit into. Then, I got a much bigger area and set up a net and hit real balls.

I had to make a platform/hitting area because the laser device you set the golf ball on was about an inch or so tall. It was like standing in a hole to hit a ball.

Having said, that I played the best golf of my career after using it the previous winter. I got really good with my irons. It definitely helped me, that I cannot deny. I learned a lot of stuff about my swing but mostly it was probably just another way to practice.

It only helped my iron game. The chipping and putting practice was terrible and I never could hit a driver on it. I would tee off with a long iron which helped me hit into par 5's and longer 4's much better.

Bottom line, I think it was the practice that helped me. I got down to a 4 handicap, that's pretty strong for a guy that had not been below 10 handicap before or since.

Dang it, I need to set that piece of crap back up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    JT Ginn was at Chris Lemonis? press conference. Would you guys change your tune on Lemonis if Ginn came to Starkville?
    Robbie Faulk said he and Coach Lemonis are having a sit down meeting this afternoon.

vCash
    Golf is light years ahead of baseball as far as analytics goes. So are the biomechanical studies. Baseball is just starting to scratch the surface.

vCash
    I would love for state to implement the Driveline system and programs into the training for both hitters and pitchers

vCash
    I'm fine with this approach, but they better start oversigning pitchers if they do it. While what happened to the 2015 class isn't the norm, you are going to have arm injuries with this approach. Some guys are made to throw hard. Some aren't.

vCash
    Ok, it sounds like we all agree we need another Boras Corporation guy like Gautreau. A pitching version of Gautreau like Florida and LSU have.

Money is no object because we are saving a ton of money with Lemonis versus the king's ransom we needed to chase Kaiser Schlossnagle.

vCash
    It's been proven weighted balls used appropriately by usage and age do not cause injuries. You can't go throw them from 60 ft away. And little kids and their dads shouldn't do it. But when used appropriately, they're not an issue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    It's been proven weighted balls used appropriately by usage and age do not cause injuries. You can't go throw them from 60 ft away. And little kids and their dads shouldn't do it. But when used appropriately, they're not an issue.
    The data is not out there yet. The data Mike Rienold has compiled is currently in review but has not been published.

vCash
    I agree. Someone with pro/scout connections, and someone with a modern day philosophy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Brahmabull View Post
    How much does your home golf Trakman run you?
    I was 25k all in.

The unit was just under 20k. Added on some accessories and basic remodeling for the balance.

vCash
    That study was done on high school and junior high pitchers- and I agree that players that are still maturing shouldn't be doing weighted ball stuff at that point in their career.

However, we are not working with high school and junior high pitchers. We are working with mostly mature pitchers- I'm sure we have some 18 and maybe even rarely 17 year old pitchers but the majority of our pitchers are between 19-23. I agree that mechanics should be cleaned up and mastered first. The other thing is pitchers should be working on their core and leg strength as well. All of those are tenants of a modern throwing program. It shouldn't be just throwing weighted balls. The results of that study which was only done over a six week period make me think that my suspicions about Wes hurrying our guys through the program instead of going at it progressively because he was on the first train out of town were correct.

If we do a program like that correctly with the other things I talked about above and did it progressively I think our pitching will improve a lot and actually attract recruits.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    That study was done on high school and junior high pitchers- and I agree that players that are still maturing shouldn't be doing weighted ball stuff at that point in their career.

However, we are not working with high school and junior high pitchers. We are working with mostly mature pitchers- I'm sure we have some 18 and maybe even rarely 17 year old pitchers but the majority of our pitchers are between 19-23. I agree that mechanics should be cleaned up and mastered first. The other thing is pitchers should be working on their core and leg strength as well. All of those are tenants of a modern throwing program. It shouldn't be just throwing weighted balls. The results of that study which was only done over a six week period make me think that my suspicions about Wes hurrying our guys through the program instead of going at it progressively because he was on the first train out of town were correct.

If we do a program like that correctly with the other things I talked about above and did it progressively I think our pitching will improve a lot and actually attract recruits.
    Maybe. The majority of the arm injuries that this team suffered last year were from guys who were 18/19 during their freshman seasons: Ethan Small, Keegan James, Kale Breaux, Jared Padgett, Noah Hughes. I think Parker Ford's injury actually occurred before he got to campus, if I am not mistake.

vCash
    Todd, have you looked at any of Brent Pourciau's work on the weighted ball training?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    The data is not out there yet. The data Mike Rienold has compiled is currently in review but has not been published.
    It’s out there. I have access to some biomechanical stuff. I read through it about 3 weeks ago. I’ll try to dig it up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    Todd, have you looked at any of Brent Pourciau's work on the weighted ball training?
    Not too much. I have heard the name though.